Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ability to edit posts?

Default Ability to edit posts?

You may not edit your posts

--

So, will this be a permanent thing?

I often like to edit my my posts as new information arises or to fix obvious spelling mistakes or change something obviously not suitable.

Default Re: Ability to edit posts?

I'll find out; have to kick it up to an Amin.
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

Just a recall of a discussion before going Live. The ability to edit in vBulletin could be either turned on or off, but not have a time limit. Our previous Forums would allow a Time for individual edits of a day. Afterwards it would be looked to prevent changes that could destroy the flow of the Thread.

The Moderators and Admins can make a edit for any Member if they request it and it seems a fair thing to do. Admittedly I prefer the Old Method. But some features of this new Board will take some getting use to.

However the person best suited for knowing whether Edits could be turned on is Kgroneman, since he has the Instruction guide that came with the Cereal box.

does the same apply for posting attachments? once the forums go live we can? or is once you post x amount of posts, like at the old forums at suselinuxsupport.de?

thanks in advance...good to see you again MattB (now MattBclassic)

you see after my 'will i keep my name?' i have...

iirc it was decided no attachments, even screenshots are handled by outside sites. But that is iirc

Blog Entries

irc it was decided no attachments, even screenshots are handled by outside sites. But that is iirc
    We have a screenshot forum where attachments are enabled.
    My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me since I changed the competition to kick boxing

Myself I like the ability to edit my posts.
    Only cause I usually make mistakes. Or want to add something I found to a post.
    Inquiring minds want to know?

From some other forums I know the possibility of editing the message. In most cases you are just able to edit a post for about 6 hours or something. Maybe that is even too long, but at least for an hour it would be fine.

Rikishi 42 NNTP User

On 2008-06-08, Chrysantine <Chrysantine@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> You may not edit your posts
    >
    > --
    >
    > So, will this be a permanent thing?
    >
    > I often like to edit my my posts as new information arises or to fix
    > obvious spelling mistakes or change something obviously not suitable.

Editing posts only makes sense for messages in a web forum.
    These discusions can also be read trough the Novell newsserver. Correcting a
    message that has allready been DL'ed to someones newsreader doesn't really
    make sense.

Besides, even in a web forum it's not very comfortable to have to re-read
    old messages, just because their content changes.

Why not just send a follow-up message, with the corrected information? That
    way, the thread remains meaningfull.

After all, people might write reactions to your original message, that no
    longer make sense when read after your corrections.

--
    The sand remembers once there was beach and sunshine
    but chip is warm too
    -- haiku from Effector Online, Volume 1, Number 6

This reply is here Demon Typers - openSUSE Forums

Edit was quite a topic of discussion in the talks leading up to the merge with wildly varying opinions of the staff. We haven't come to a total conclusion on it yet but we're very close to an agreement. What it looks like will be the policy (don't quote me until it is) is that we won't allow users to edit their posts but will leave that up to Moderators. If a user thinks their post is bad enough to need an edit, he/she/it can always delete the post and repost or ask a moderator to make an edit.

The reason for this is that a technical post could have a lot of good replies to the content of that post. If a user decides to edit the post, it could totally change the context and invalidate any reply it has received. Joe User comes along and reads the post and the replies and tries the advice given only to find he's just blow away critical data. I know, that's an extreme example but you can see what I mean.

One other factor in this is that though a post is edited here in the web interface, edits don't go through the gateway to the NNTP interface so you'd have two copies of the same message with different content.

We should have an official policy on this before long.
    As it is more relevant here I hoping no one finds offense.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast