Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel and vmware

Default Kernel and vmware

Hi, I did post this on the old forums (Novell) but thought I would have another crack at it here, just in case some fresh eyes see it!
    I'm trying to install vmware workstation on OpenSuse 11 64 bit RC1 and am getting this message when I run the installer:

linux-8qkt:/home/peterm/vmware-distrib # ./vmware-install.pl
    The following VMware kernel modules have been found on your system that were
    not installed by the VMware Installer. Please remove them then run this
    installer again.

vmblock
    vmhgfs
    vmmemctl
    vmxnet

Execution aborted.

However, running lsmod fails to find these modules. Does anyone have any ideas? I am running the 2.6.25.4-10 kernel, but I was getting this with the 2.6.25.4-8 kernel as well.
    thanks for any assistance.
    Regards Peter.

Default Re: Kernel and vmware

Go to YAST / Software and make sure vmware-kmps aren't installed, if so - remove them and possibly reboot to make sure they're gone.

Hey, that's great. I removed the offending software, rebooted. Thanks, now I'm getting closer....
    Now the compiler says it does not match the version that compiled the kernel.
    It says I am using 4.3 and I should be using 4.31 as that was the compiler that built my kernel.
    However when I look at my installed versions through yast, it says I have gcc 4.31 installed and typing gcc --version returns

peterm@linux-8qkt:~/Desktop> gcc --version
    gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]
    Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

As it says, it's prerelease so maybe thats the problem, still some polishing to do?
    Regards Peter.
    Desktop - OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit. LapTop - OpenSUSE 11.4, triple booting with Win7 and Splashtop OS
    Linux is cool! Everything else is a VM.

Package open-vm-tools and vmware-kmp-{kernel_flavour} is automatically installed when VMware hardware is detected. I suppose you have to remove them manually if you want to install closed-source workstation utilites.

Yes, that appears to be right as I have now removed it, however it raises another question for me.
    What is the vmware kmp? Is it an open source vmware?
    Can I use it to run vmware virtual machines?
    I might put it back on and see what I can do with it.
    Regards Peter.
    Desktop - OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit. LapTop - OpenSUSE 11.4, triple booting with Win7 and Splashtop OS

Quote Originally Posted by pmccrackan View Post
    Yes, that appears to be right as I have now removed it, however it raises another question for me.
    What is the vmware kmp? Is it an open source vmware?
    Can I use it to run vmware virtual machines?
    I might put it back on and see what I can do with it.
    Regards Peter.
    "What is the vmware kmp?"
    That's the kernel module -- built when you install VMware package

"Is it an open source vmware?"
    No, but VMware Server is free & will do most everything VMware will do. It's all I use; haven't used Vmware since V5.5.3.

I recommend you check the VMware Forum and see if there's an "Any Any Package" available for RC1 (basically a quick update). You may need the absolute latest Vmware version too

You may want to give VMware Server a try; of course get the latest version. (I'll try it this PM when I get back from the ranch).

There is also VirtualBox; rpms on the DVD/repro. I have that up on RC1 & works well

Good luck
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

Seeing as this is still in RC1, I'm not all that concerned about it and will probably wait until the Gold release before chasing it up too much more. It's only 10 days away now!
    Anyway, I'm having a great time with this. Lot's of stuff works really great.
    The biggest surprise for me so far has been the ease of enabling my GEForce 8600 graphics card, the new driver from nvidia compiled with no problems and desktop effects just worked when I turned it on. Even easier than 64 bit SLED 10 SP2 on the same box.
    Java is stil a headache for the browser plugin on 64 bit though, even after installing iced tea.
    Anyway, it's all pretty cool stuff.
    thanks for help.
    Regards Peter.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, for a clean install, you may need to remove the hidden file in /home called ./vmware

You can find VMware Server rpm @ Download VMware Server

You will need to register as you will need a serial Nr to use it.

Have fun
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1; Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 & T-weed and IMac

Quote Originally Posted by snakedriver View Post
    Oh yeah I almost forgot, for a clean install, you may need to remove the hidden file in /home called ./vmware

You can find VMware Server rpm @ Download VMware Server

You will need to register as you will need a serial Nr to use it.

Have fun
    I installed VMware Server 1.0.6 x86 rpm in 11.0 RC1 x86-64 with no problems. When you get to where it asks the question about gcc 4.3 & possible errors, I said "yes" and it went ahead & compiled w/o problems. You will need the serial Nr as it won't finish the install w/o it.

System > More Programs > VMware Server & there you go

I eventually got my VMWare workstation compiled and running, but the vm's run pretty rough and the cpu's activity bounces all over the place.
    I have added some changes to the /etc/vmware/config

host.cpukHz =2800000
    host.noTSC = TRUE
    ptsc.noTSC = TRUE

and that seems to have fixed it now.
    The next thing now is that I seem to have lost my second screen on the VM, it just wont display. Something to do with the new display system on OpenSuse?
    Thanks a lot for your input.
    Regards Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast