View RSS Feed

Knurpht Blogs

Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
After a very quick and smooth install of openSUSE 12.1 I missed one thing on the GNOME 3.2 desktop, though I knew it was installed: the dock extension. On GNOME 3.0 it produced a dock on the right side, the same like when hitting the Activities , then shown on the left. I ran "gnome-tweak-tool" and it did not even see the extension, though it is on disk, in the proper place: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
I googled a bit and did not find anything, so I started comparing the files, beginning with "metadata.json", compared it to the same file belonging to another extension, that I knew did work, and which did show up in gnome-tweak-tool. I noticed a difference: the dock's json file showed
Code:
 "shell-version": [ "3.2.0" ],
the working one
Code:
"shell-version": [ "3.2.0", "3.2" ],
I changed the line, hit Alt-F2, "r" to reload the desktop, ran gnome-tweak-tool, and there it was. Activated is, and now I have a small black tab on the right, which, when hovered, displays the dock. Brilliant.

There's a couple of other extensions that share this AFAICT, diving into those now.

Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to Digg Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to Google Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to Facebook Submit "Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work" to Twitter

Updated 17-Nov-2011 at 14:37 by Knurpht

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

yea I made that change and that still didnt fix it for me. :-/
    disregard.. my problem was that 3.0 dock didnt get upgraded when I went from 11.4 to 12.1. After I upgraded the dock extension through software management then applied your fix..that did it.

Thanks!
    This worked flawlessly. Thank you.