View RSS Feed

oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE

CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP

Rate this Entry
I recently purchased a UPS for my desktop computer which is currently running openSUSE LEAP-15.0.

There is discussion on my deliberations prior to purchasing in this openSUSE thread.

As noted in the title, the UPS I purchased is the CyberPower UT1500E 1500VA/900W, which I believe should be adequate for my 4-year old core-i7 desktop PC. My nominal plan, after there is a power outage, is to have my PC automatically shutdown within 1 minute of the power outage.

The local computer shops did not carry the CyberPower UPS that I wanted, so I ordered on over the internet, and it arrived a few days later.

After an overnight charge, I plugged my desktop PC (but not my monitor nor my speakers) and I also routed my wired Ethernet through the CyberPower Ethernet in/out outlet on the back of the UPS. And I connected a USB cable from UPS to my desktop PC.

I previous had downloaded the CyberPower "PowerPanel" software, thinking I would install it after booting my PC (plugged in to the UPS), but to my surprise after booting my PC (running openSUSE-15.0 with KDE), I noted this icon in the right corner of my desktop.

Nominally I only see that with a laptop computer, ... but I confess nothing in my (albeit limited) research, suggested that I should expect that for a desktop plugged into the UPS. So it was a pleasant surprise.

I figure it must have been because I connected the UPS to the desktop also via the USB.

If one clicks on the corner desktop icon one will see this:

I also went through the KDE power management settings and tuned them a bit.

I ran the PC for a couple days with the KDE power management in place, and then I decided to go ahead on install the more powerful CyberPower command line "Power Panel" program for GNU/Linux.

.... To be continued in following post ....

Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to Digg Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to del.icio.us Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to StumbleUpon Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to Google Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to Facebook Submit "CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP" to Twitter

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

After a couple of days with the UPS setup, I installed the rpm version of the CyberPower "powerpanel" software, which can be located on their website here.

In addition for MS-Windows and MacOS installation downloads, they also have downloads for GNU/Linux, where it is packaged as a .deb, rpm, and .tar. I downloaded the 64-bit rpm "PPL_64bit (rpm)_v1.3.2.rpm" .

Installation

I simply used zypper to install (with root permissions):
    Code:
    zypper in PPL_64bit (rpm)_v1.3.2.rpm
    and I selected to ignore that the package was not signed.

I received some errors as part of the install, suggesting to me the install was successful, but that the daemon did not start. These being:
    Code:
    //etc/init.d/pwrstatd,start=2,3,4,5 doesn't exist at /sbin/insserv line 246. 
    /sbin/insserv failed, exit code 1
    redirecting to systemctl start pwrstatd.service
    Failed to start pwrstatd.service: Unit pwrstatd.service not found.
    I checked the /etc directory and I noted the various scripts installed
    • hibernate.sh
    • pwrstadt-email.sh
    • pwrstadt-lowbatt.sh
    • pwrstadt-powerfail.sh
    • pwrstadt.conf
    • shutdown.sh

Starting the daemon via the Service Manager

I then checked under YaST > System > Services Manager, and I did not see "pwrstatd" listed as a service. That suggested it was not yet detected by the openSUSE LEAP-15.0 system after the rpm install (as suggested by the errors). I speculated that it might be detected after a restart of the services manager, so I rebooted, and again when into YaST > System > Services Manager. This time I noted the service present, but it was not running:

Further not only was it "Inactive(Dead)" but it was on a Start=Manually. So I changed the Start=On Boot, and activated the service. This is what I see then:

Status of the UPS via Power Panel

Nominally 'pwrstat' requires root permissions to run. With the service started, I then typed :
    Code:
     linux-p15v:/etc # pwrstat -config

Daemon Configuration:

Alarm .............................................. On
    Hibernate .......................................... Off

Action for Power Failure:

Delay time since Power failure ............. 60 sec.
            Run script command ......................... On
            Path of script command ..................... /etc/pwrstatd-powerfail.sh
            Duration of command running ................ 0 sec.
            Enable shutdown system ..................... On

Action for Battery Low:

Remaining runtime threshold ................ 300 sec.
            Battery capacity threshold ................. 35 %.
            Run script command ......................... On
            Path of command ............................ /etc/pwrstatd-lowbatt.sh
            Duration of command running ................ 0 sec.
            Enable shutdown system ..................... On
    I figured that a good sign, indicating it was now running as a daemon, using default emergency settings.

Edit configuration files and restarting the pwrstatd service

I then opened (with root permissions such that I could edit if desired) the file "/etc/pwrstadt.conf". I made a couple of changes, and saved the file. I noted the file stated to restart the daemon, to type:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/pwrstatd restart
    but that yielded:
    Code:
    linux-p15v:/etc # /etc/init.d/pwrstatd restart
    redirecting to systemctl restart pwrstatd.service
    Simply typing:
    Code:
    systemctl restart pwrstatd.service
    worked fine.

Various Power Panel commands

One can obtain the various command options from the pwrstat program by typing:
    Code:
    pwrstat -help
    and get status by typing:
    Code:
    pwrstat -status
    There is a good man page, which can be read by typing:
    Code:
    man pwrstat
    Its a pretty basic command line series of configuration files ... at least it is for myself, and reminds me of my early days in GNU/Linux over 20 years ago.
    Out of curiousity, I plugged my monitor into my PC (together with low power speakers and the desktop PC itself), and then I removed the input power to the UPS. I did this to check the load. This is what "pwrstat -status" yields:

and this is what "pwrstat -status" yields after power is restored to the UPS.

The load only being ~90-watts surprised me, so I suspect that is inaccurate. Note the estimate of time in which power may be available, once on battery is down to ~31-minutes.