S.A.K.S.I. - SUSE Automated KDE Sysinfo Installer - Version 1.1.0 for openSUSE 12.3 & 13.1

If you have installed the latest openSUSE version 12.3, 13,1 and you use the KDE Desktop, you may have noticed that the “My Computer” icon is missing which produced the display shown above and which has been replaced with the more informative KinfoCenter, this is by design because the Kio Sysinfo application has been Depreciated and is no longer actively being updated. However, for now, it is still possible to install and use the sysinfo “My Computer” icon if you wish to in the transition. The KinfoCenter icon can still remain and be used side-by-side with the old icon. The ability to get this function back requires adding in a new repository, installing the kio_sysinfo package and creating the “My Computer” icon. I have decided to automate this process in a bash script you can download and run and get the “My Computer” sysinfo icon back.

When you first run the bash script, you will get the following request:

If you answer Y for yes and press enter, you have three more questions to answer. You must enter the root user password:

Root user permission is required to Perform this task!

root's password: ********

You must indicate that the addition of the new repository can be trusted:

Do you want to reject the key, trust temporarily, or trust always? [r/t/a/?] (r): t

And finally, you give permission for the kio_sysinfo packed to be installed:

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  kio_sysinfo 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 310.4 KiB. After the operation, additional 407.8 KiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): 

Once the Package is installed, an icon will be created for you on your desktop called “My Computer” just as before and you will see the completion message:

You can obtain the raw bash script from SUSE Paste at the following link:

S.A.K.S.I. - SUSE Automated KDE Sysinfo Installer - Version 1.1.0 for openSUSE 12.3 & 13.1

Open the above Link in a new Tab. Select the Download option in the top right and then select Open With Kwrite or other text editor and then save the bash script text file as ~/bin/saksi. It is possible to directly download sact using the following terminal command (You must delete or remove the old version first):

rm ~/bin/saksi
wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/88878077 -O ~/bin/saksi

This script must be marked executable to be used. Please run the following Terminal command:

chmod +x ~/bin/saksi

It is even possible to string all three of these commands together as one which is Highly Recommended for you to use! Copy the following command, open up a terminal session, paste it in and press enter:

rm ~/bin/saksi ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/88878077 -O ~/bin/saksi ; chmod +x ~/bin/saksi

To use saksi, open up a terminal session and type in the command:

saksi

The S.A.K.S.I. bash script is intended to be ran only once to install the sysinfo kio and there is no need to run it a second time. If you have more than one PC install for openSUSE 12.3, use it on each installtion and VM install. Running the sysinfo function as root will produce lower disk usage results which do not include the root free space reserve occurring. You can create a RootSysinfo icon by saving the following text into your $HOME/Desktop as the file “RootSysinfo”.

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Exec=kdesu kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing sysinfo:/
GenericName[en_US]=
GenericName=
Icon=video-display
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=RootSysinfo
Name=RootSysinfo
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
X-SuSE-translate=true

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know what they are.

Thank You,

Thank you, I missed “My Computer”, now it is back again.

Happy to help vta_128. I think it gives a faster system summery than KinfoCenter does though the latter has more information. I would encourage you (and anyone reading this) to visit and look into KinfoCenter icon because after the next or so openSUSE releases, sysinfo may no longer be an option at all.

Thank You,

[QUOTE=jdmcdaniel3;bt745]Happy to help vta_128. I think it gives a faster system summery than KinfoCenter does though the latter has more information. I would encourage you (and anyone reading this) to visit and look into KinfoCenter icon because after the next or so openSUSE releases, sysinfo may no longer be an option at all.

Thank You,[/QUOTE]

If KinfoCenter had a possibility to configure “home page” where I could see “Disk information”…

There are times I cannot operate without utilities so save me from myself. The script saved me from having to do complete reinstall of Windows 7 and Opensuse. Good job. I know it was hard work.

I am happy to help and it is comments like yours that keep me going.

Thank You,

Thank you for this James, your work is much appreciated.

You are very welcome as I am always happy to help.

Thank You,

This is a neat item Jim, thanks again.

And I forgot to add that it has crystal clear installation instructions. I wish everything was this good.

SAKSI has been updated to work with openSUSE 13.1 which I know you will enjoy.

Thank You,

[QUOTE=jdmcdaniel3;bt946]SAKSI has been updated to work with openSUSE 13.1 which I know you will enjoy.

Thank You,[/QUOTE]
Indeed Thank you James…:slight_smile:

Happy to be of service. I prefer this one to the kinfocenter, but you should get used to the new one as well. I have filed a wish list item for kde to kinfocenter that the output of lscpu be added to the default display. Open up terminal, type in lscpu and see what you get. Here is my request.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327622

Thank You,