View RSS Feed

Knurpht Blogs

Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV

Rate this Entry
Wondered how easy it would be to make content on an openSUSE machine available through DLNA on our smart TV. The TV already has a wired networkconnection to our gigabit LAN. And this was all there is to it:

Prepare: take 1 openSUSE machine

Step one: go to http://software.opensuse.org , search for "minidlna"
Step two: install minidlna
Step three: read through /etc/minidlna.conf and enter own media_dirs in full path
Step four: remove /var/cache/minidlna/*
Step five: activate and start the minidlna service through Yast - Sytem - Runleveleditor. Machine instantly shows up on the TV
Step six: watch/listen media from laptop on TV.

Next step will be installing 12.2 and minidlna on the main machine (which hosts all the mediafiles)

Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to Digg Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to del.icio.us Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to StumbleUpon Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to Google Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to Facebook Submit "Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV" to Twitter

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Knurpht,

Thanks for the report. Perhaps you'd be so kind as making a test for us non-English-speaking people

How does it work with soft subtitles, specifically .srt? Last time I looked at it there has no support for streaming them together with the movie, as only one file could be streamed at a time to a client.
    The (CPU intensive) workaround given in one app - I think it was mediatomb, but not sure - was to re-encode the video with hard subs on-the-fly, something that didn't work very well for me.

Regards,

Bruno
    Hi,Knurpht! I've recently installed "minidlna" from http://software.opensuse.org/package/minidlna,got it through One-Click Install,but on trying to modify as requested the .conf file through kwrite,the file results BLANK!!

Can you help to resolve? I'm using openSUSE 13.2

Thanks