• Install Google Chrome

Some folk like to Install Chrome instead of Chromium (I don't know why).

If you must, it's easy. Simply search Google for: install google chrome. When you get there, locate "download" near the top of page and select the big button to DOWNLOAD and select the RPM option.

Suppose the download lands in the Download directory. The path to the file should look like this:
    Code:
    /home/YourName/Downloads/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    All you have to do now (that you know where it is) is open a console and switch to root, then enter this command:
    Code:
    zypper in /home/john/Downloads/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    A full dialogue will ensue, like this (copied from my console):
    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 16 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      glibc-i18ndata google-chrome-stable libcairo-script-interpreter2 libjpeg62 libpng12-0 libpng15-15 lsb5 lsb5-core lsb5-desktop
      lsb5-imaging lsb5-languages m4 ncurses-devel patch perl-Class-ISA tack

The following recommended package was automatically selected:
      perl-Class-ISA

16 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 51.4 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 208.9 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
    Retrieving package glibc-i18ndata-2.22-3.7.noarch                                                    (1/16),   3.2 MiB ( 10.9 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: glibc-i18ndata-2.22-3.7.noarch.rpm ..........................................................................[done (1.7 MiB/s)]
    .......A whole bunch of files are prepared
    Retrieving package lsb5-5.0-2.1.x86_64                                                              (15/16),   3.4 KiB (    0   B unpacked)
    Retrieving: lsb5-5.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm .................................................................................................[done]
    Retrieving package google-chrome-stable-55.0.2883.87-1.x86_64                                       (16/16),  43.9 MiB (171.3 MiB unpacked)
    google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm:                                                                                                   
        Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 7fac5991: NOKEY                                                                                   
        V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 7fac5991: NOKEY                                                                                          

google-chrome-stable-55.0.2883.87-1.x86_64 (Plain RPM files cache): Signature verification failed [4-Signatures public key is not available]                                                                                                                                          
    Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): i  
    [my note: choose "i" for "ignore", press enter and everything will be good]
    Checking for file conflicts: ........................................................................................................[done]
    ( 1/16) Installing: glibc-i18ndata-2.22-3.7.noarch ..................................................................................[done]
    .......A whole bunch of files are installed
    (16/16) Installing: google-chrome-stable-55.0.2883.87-1.x86_64 ......................................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    warning: /var/cache/zypp/packages/_tmpRPMcache_/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 7fac5991: NOKEY
    update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable to provide /usr/bin/google-chrome (google-chrome) in auto mode
    Have a look at the blue lines. I coloured them in so you can see them. This is where the installation stops to say that the RPM didn't come with a signature key and what do you want to do about it. If you are sure you downloaded from Google, select to "ignore" by typing in a simple i and pressing enter. The installation should then proceed.

An aside: The process should install a Google Chrome repository during the installation so that you will have auto-access to all future updates.

That's all folks., be well.

Footnote 170214: Silverclipper has kindly added two interesting comments about installing the chrome repository and about dodging the public key issue if you are a stickler for security.
    Comments 7 Comments
      Silverclipper -
      Very nice, thank you. You mentioned you could not figure out why anyone would choose Google Chrome over Chromium. Many months ago I installed Chromium and then found a reason to go with Google Chrome, but for the life of me I can't now remember why.

To get rid of the NOKEY errors while installing Google Chrome, you can add Google's signing key prior to Chrome installation. Maybe stick these commands in an optional section at the top called "Prep"?

Code:
      wget https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

sudo rpm --import linux_signing_key.pub
      Those commands came directly from Google, here: https://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

Also, when installing Google Chrome on Tumbleweed the Google repos are not added. I have no idea why. But they are added if installing Chrome on Leap 42.2. Odd, but true. I wonder what could be the cause of that?
      Silverclipper -
      I can't edit that previous post for some reason. I wanted to add the instructions to manually add the Google Chrome repo to openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Code:
      zypper ar -f http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 google-chrome
      swerdna -
      Thanks Silverclipper.

It transpires that if one installs the way I suggest, one ends up with the repository auto-installed without having to do any import.

But for the security bugs, your suggestions would fix the security issue from the get go.
      Silverclipper -
      Yep, I agree. If you install Chrome on Leap, the repos are automatically added. But when I install it on Tumbleweed the repos are not added automatically. It's weird.
      swerdna -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
      Yep, I agree. If you install Chrome on Leap, the repos are automatically added. But when I install it on Tumbleweed the repos are not added automatically. It's weird.
      At the moment am without TW so cannot comment....... but yes: "weird".
      dcurtisfra -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverclipper View Post
      You mentioned you could not figure out why anyone would choose Google Chrome over Chromium. Many months ago I installed Chromium and then found a reason to go with Google Chrome, but for the life of me I can't now remember why.
      I took a look at installing Chrome on a Leap 42.2 KDE Plasma 5 system and, quit the installation at the last check question:
      • Looking at what Chrome wants to additionally install for support of the "Google KDE" environment I noticed that, KDE3 components and libraries were about to be installed, additionally.

Therefore I gave up on "Chrome" and installed "Chromium". [ I wanted a "no KDE3 on board" system. ]
      Akoellh -
      Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
      but yes: "weird".
      Well, I also don't have a TW at the moment, but last time I checked, the post install scripts of the RPMs searched at different places to get an idea about the running OS (/etc/os-release or /etc/SuSE-release come to mind).

If that script does not know what to do with whatever string it gets from one of those files on a TW installation, then doing nothing would be the least error prone behavior.

AK