• Silverlight on openSUSE - HowTo

​Introduction

Thanks to the efforts by Richard Bos we can now have Silverlight applications / websites on our openSUSE install, using Pipelight. This project was started mainly to give dutch people access to Magister, a Silverlight based students/parents application a lot of dutch schools use, that was not accessible on linux until now.

Pre-install

Remove the moonlight plugin, through Yast + browsers, if installed.
    Add the repo below for your openSUSE version, trust the key when prompted for:

Installation

• Through Yast:
      • Select View - Repositories
      • Tick the Pipelight repo
      • Select the pipelight package for install, it will pull in some dependencies.
      • Tick "Switch system packages .....". This will make sure the packages from the added repo will be used, not other.
      • Perform the install

• Through zypper:
      • Code:
        su -c 'zypper ref'
      • Code:
        su -c 'zypper in pipelight'

Post-install

Start your browser and let the magic happen....... The pipelight plugin will trigger a Silverlight install on ~/.wine-pipelight and use that. Let it do it's thing, visit http://bubblemark.com/silverlight2.html to test. You should see a square with bouncing balls.
    Comments 22 Comments
      Knurpht -
      Since I can't edit the Article:

Please read
      Code:
      ~/.wine-pipelight
      where the article says
      Code:
      ~/.wine/pipelight
      This does not change / have effect on the instructions given.
      pwrntspd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
      Since I can't edit the Article:

Please read
      Code:
      ~/.wine-pipelight
      where the article says
      Code:
      ~/.wine/pipelight
      This does not change / have effect on the instructions given.

Knurpht,

Can you help me with this? Ive tried using your instructional but after
      "zypper install pipelight"
      I get a problem as follows:
      Problem: nothing provides wine-gecko >= 2.24 needed by wine-pipelight-1.7.3-1.1.i586
      Solution 1: do not install pipelight-0.1.4-2.2.i586
      Solution 2: break wine-pipelight-1.7.3-1.1.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Im a noobie to linux, can you help me figure out what i need to do?
      Thank you,

-pwrntspd
      Knurpht -
      Quote Originally Posted by pwrntspd View Post
      Knurpht,

Can you help me with this? Ive tried using your instructional but after
      "zypper install pipelight"
      I get a problem as follows:
      Problem: nothing provides wine-gecko >= 2.24 needed by wine-pipelight-1.7.3-1.1.i586
      Solution 1: do not install pipelight-0.1.4-2.2.i586
      Solution 2: break wine-pipelight-1.7.3-1.1.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Im a noobie to linux, can you help me figure out what i need to do?
      Thank you,

-pwrntspd
      Found out just now when updating. Here's how I got it working:
      Code:
      zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_12.3/ Wine-1.7
      zypper ref
      zypper in pipelight
      Trust the key "always" when prompted for. The Wine-1.7 repo contains the wine-gecko package >= 2.24
      Zypper will report an issue, allow it to get the wine-gecko package from the Wine-1.7 repo.
      pwrntspd -
      Found out just now when updating. Here's how I got it working:
      Code:
      zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_12.3/ Wine-1.7
      zypper ref
      zypper in pipelight
      Trust the key "always" when prompted for. The Wine-1.7 repo contains the wine-gecko package >= 2.24
      Zypper will report an issue, allow it to get the wine-gecko package from the Wine-1.7 repo.
      Just tried it, works perfect now, thanks!
      rocherson -
      Thanks for super article !
      dimesio -
      I wanted to test this, but discovered that the package wanted to uninstall the regular Wine package in order to install wine-pipelight. IMO, it would have been preferable to have the patched version of Wine needed by the plugin installed to a separate prefix (e.g., wine-pipelight) so that it could coexist with the unpatched Wine package and be used only for the plugin without affecting any other apps run in Wine.
      Knurpht -
      Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
      I wanted to test this, but discovered that the package wanted to uninstall the regular Wine package in order to install wine-pipelight. IMO, it would have been preferable to have the patched version of Wine needed by the plugin installed to a separate prefix (e.g., wine-pipelight) so that it could coexist with the unpatched Wine package and be used only for the plugin without affecting any other apps run in Wine.
      I think you've got a point here. I'll contact the packager.
      Knurpht -
      Packages in the home:rbos:pipelight repo now install a patched wine version that coexists with the stock, unpatched wine. This means you can install wine alongside wine-pipelight. Tested on 12.2, 12.3 and Tumbleweed.
      wakou -
      Thanks for this Knurpht! I had previously made a cumbersome wine install of firefox and added silverlight, which meant I had to launch an entirely seperate browser for Silverlight websites. I am now watching the pokerstars.tv channel in a tab from my usual FF. Great stuff Knurpht!
      dimesio -
      Packages in the home:rbos:pipelight repo now install a patched wine version that coexists with the stock, unpatched wine. This means you can install wine alongside wine-pipelight. Tested on 12.2, 12.3 and Tumbleweed.
      Thanks!

I installed it, and the balls test at bubblemark.com works fine. However, Microsoft's Silverlight DRM Test just gets as far as "Media State: Opening" and never plays.
      montana95 -
      Great workaround! It works for me too, flawlessly. Thank you very much!
      shamakina -
      Thank you! It works first time, but... When I opened a site with the Silverlight a month later, I've got a fault I tried to install it again. Firefox didn't start the pipelight plugin. May be you will be able to help me. What did I do wrong?
      qwertyguy -
      It's not working for me. Here's what happened.

First attempt

OpenSuse 12.3, kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

1. Added the Pipelight repository Index of /repositories/home:/rbos:/pipelight/openSUSE_12.3.

2. Installed using Yast as described above. No errors.

3. Launched Firefox (v. 25.0). WINE kicked in and seemed to install and enable the Silverlight plug-in. When asked if I wanted to do automatic updates for Silverlight I said "no".

4. Verified in Firefox that the Silverlight plug-in was enabled. Also verified that WINE was running in Windows 7 emulation mode.

4. Went to Netflix site and logged in. When I tried to launch a movie I was redirected to a page that said this:

"
      Watch Movies & TV Episodes Instantly

Instant Watching System Compatibility

Complete System Requirements

To watch instantly, you''ll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

• Windows
        • Windows Vista or Windows 7
        • Internet Explorer 8 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
        • 1.2 GHz processor
        • 512 MB RAM

• Mac
        • An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
        • Safari 4 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
        • 1 GB RAM

• Chrome OS
        • A Google Chromebook or Chromebox running Chrome OS 20 or higher

I thought that since my version of WINE came from the WINE CVS Builds repo at URL: Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_12.3 there could be a version issue, I de-installed WINE and Pipelight and re-nstalled them using the standard OpenSuse repo.

When I tried to launch a Netflix movie the same thing happened. I don't see what could be wrong. Have I missed something obvious?
      MadmanRB -
      Quote Originally Posted by qwertyguy View Post
      It's not working for me. Here's what happened.

First attempt

OpenSuse 12.3, kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

1. Added the Pipelight repository Index of /repositories/home:/rbos:/pipelight/openSUSE_12.3.

2. Installed using Yast as described above. No errors.

3. Launched Firefox (v. 25.0). WINE kicked in and seemed to install and enable the Silverlight plug-in. When asked if I wanted to do automatic updates for Silverlight I said "no".

4. Verified in Firefox that the Silverlight plug-in was enabled. Also verified that WINE was running in Windows 7 emulation mode.

4. Went to Netflix site and logged in. When I tried to launch a movie I was redirected to a page that said this:

"
      Watch Movies & TV Episodes Instantly

Instant Watching System Compatibility

Complete System Requirements

To watch instantly, you''ll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

• Windows
        • Windows Vista or Windows 7
        • Internet Explorer 8 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
        • 1.2 GHz processor
        • 512 MB RAM

• Mac
        • An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
        • Safari 4 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
        • 1 GB RAM

• Chrome OS
        • A Google Chromebook or Chromebox running Chrome OS 20 or higher

I thought that since my version of WINE came from the WINE CVS Builds repo at URL: Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_12.3 there could be a version issue, I de-installed WINE and Pipelight and re-nstalled them using the standard OpenSuse repo.

When I tried to launch a Netflix movie the same thing happened. I don't see what could be wrong. Have I missed something obvious?
      I was able to solve this issue with using chrome and a user agent manager.
      Sadly I cannot seem to get it up and running via firefox
      akaper -
      Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
      I was able to solve this issue with using chrome and a user agent manager.
      Sadly I cannot seem to get it up and running via firefox
      Here is the link for the firefox user agent I use to be able to play Netflix:
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ent-overrider/

Source:
      https://answers.launchpad.net/pipelight/+faq/2351
      (also links for chrome and crhomium)
      qwertyguy -
      I finally got Netflix to work. I upgraded to OpenSuse 13.1 (from 12.3, not a fresh install). De-installed Pipelight and then re-installed it.

Works like a charm. Ignore my previous posts. Many thanks to the packager.
      MoeNeigh -
      I am currently using opensuse 13.1, and wine 1.7.2

After reading through this thread, I'm still not sure which would be the best way to load the pipelight repository. Also does a pipelight repository even exist for 13.1?
      If so, I'm assuming I would use one of the following two commands:

Code:
      zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos:/pipelight/openSUSE_13.1/
      -or-
      Code:
      Zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_13.1/ Wine-1.7
      -or neither?-

Which would be best so as not to disturb the few programs I'm running under regular wine 1.7.2?

Once the repository is loaded and trusted, then I assume I would follow one of the above by these two commands:

Code:
      zypper ref
      zypper in pipelight
      Also when I run the regular opensuse linux Firefox, and the Silverlight plugin is detected, I understand I would probably need to answer “no” to updates to Silverlight as this is a Windows plugin managed by pipelight/wine?

And I would probably need a user agent switcher in Firefox to simulate a Windows OS?

Have I summarized the steps I would need to go through? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, 4Gb RAM, GeForce 6100 nForce 430
      Knurpht -
      Use software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 13.1 and search for pipelight. You'll see it's available for openSUSE 13.1
      BTW: you can browse the repos by going to Index of /
      MoeNeigh -
      Use software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 13.1 and search for pipelight. You'll see it's available for openSUSE 13.1
      BTW: you can browse the repos by going to Index of /
      Thanks for that information, Knurpht. I found pipelight as you mentioned for 13.1, but it seems I still get two main choices, pipelight or wine-pipelight. Which would be best if I want to continue using a little bit of the regular wine with some programs in order to avoid conflict with the special version of wine that comes with pipelight? Does it matter which one?
      wakou -
      Just to inform googlers, the repo is available for 13.1, although not shown on the How-To
      Index of /repositories/home:/rbos:/pipelight/openSUSE_13.1

Also, it seems that The UK government's Parliament TV stream uses MS Silverlight:

Parliament Live TV » home

And if you haven't got it, "alternatives" are offered.................

MS Media Player
      Or Flash

When will they learn about open source?

When I first went to the site, (before updating pipelight to 13.1 using Knurpht's guide), I was directed to a page with advice for openSuse 11.4!

I emailed them and asked them to make it a bit easier for us wierdoes, and to be fair they replied promptly, I replied and included a link to Knurpht's instructions.
      I will try to find again the 11.4 link advice and ask them to update it a bit! Still it is refreshing that a government dept at least recognises the existence of computers outside of Planet Microsoft and responds promptly to emails..

Parliamentary Recording Unit | Westminster House | 7 Millbank | London | SW1P 3JA | Tel: 020 7219 5511 | www.parliamentlive.tv

pru@parliament.uk

(ps and OT, I hear that one of the UK govt sites, meant for use by the unemployed, will only work with IE 6 and Windows XP!)