• Print from openSUSE to Canon LBP6000 on Windows 7 / Windows 8 Server using SMB / Samba

Introduction: for a couple of years I wasn't able to make my Canon LBP6000 work directly on openSUSE. And I also couldn't print from openSUSE to the LBP6000 if I attached it to Windows (I tried XP, Vista & Win 7).

I just now tried openSUSE 12.3 and found that it talks to the printer on a Win 7 or 8 box so I better write it down here so I can make it work on the next versions of openSUSE.

I just muddled my way through this intuitively. So maybe there are some unnecessary or odd steps here, but it works for me (Yahoo!!!!).

Download and unzip/install RPMs: Download the zip file from this link. Unzip to a folder and burrow down to find two RPMs cndrvcups-capt and cndrvcups-common. Put those in a folder and add the folder to Repositories in Yast and install the RPMs one at a time, NB first cndrvcups-common and second cndrvcups-capt.

Install Printer in CUPS: open the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and make changes to two stanzas to include the IP address of the Win 7 computer (e.g. 193.169.33.9)
    HTML Code:
    # Restrict access to the server...
    <Location />
      Order allow,deny
      Allow 127.0.0.2
      Allow 193.169.33.9
    </Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
    <Location /admin>
      Order allow,deny
      Allow 193.169.33.9
    </Location>
    Set ccpd daemon to start at boot: GoTo Yast --> Runlevels and activate (put a dot in) Expert Mode and find ccpd and put a Tick in B (for service to start at runlevel B). Click OK, exit. Restart cups with this command as root:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/cups restart

Set Windows 7 Sharing: I went to Control Panel --> Network & Sharing --> Advanced, and set it to Business/Home and also these:
    • Turn on Network Discovery
    • Turn on File & Printer Sharing
    • Turn off Public Folder Sharing (probably not necessary)
    • Use 128 bit encryption
    • Turn off password protection
    • Allow Windows to manage etc

Now set the IP address to a fixed IP (e.g. 193.169.33.9) in Control Panel --> Network & Sharing --> Adapter Settings --> R-click the icon --> Properties --> IPV4 Properties --> Use the following address (e.g. 193.169.33.9) PLUS fill in the DNS servers (e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or the Name Servers provided by your ISP).

I also went to Devices & Printers and R-click Canon and select Printer Properties and Sharing Tab and I Shared the printer. NB CHANGE THE NAME under the sharing tab so it has no spaces. I used CanonLBP6000 (no spaces). (remember the name).

Back to openSUSE and Adjust Samba: Make these changes in the samba config file smb.conf (e.g. kdesu kwrite /etc/samba/smb.conf).
    Put these code lines in the [global] stanza:
    Code:
    printcap name = cups
    cups options = raw
    use client driver = yes
    Make sure these two stanzas exist:

Code:
    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0777

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    Reboot or restart Samba. Voila!

Install Printer in CUPS: open a web browser at this address:
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    Make these steps:
    Click the Administration Tab --> Add Printer --> LogIn iroot creds --> select Windows Printer via Samba --> Continue --> in the address box put smb://193.169.33.9/CanonLBP6000 --> Continue --> fill in a name e.g. CanonNetOnWin7 --> Continue --> select canon --> Continue --> locate and click Canon LBP6000/LBP6018 CAPT (US) (en) and click Add Printer --> then click Set Default Options.

Now test the printer: click Prinetrs Tab --> CanonNetOnWin7 --> Maintenance --> Print Test Page.

Good Luck
    Be well
    swerdna

PS if your wondering why I don't attach the printer directly to the openSUSE box, the reason is: I tried but it still won't work as a local printer.
    Comments 2 Comments
      johnoshock -
      the LBP6000 does work as a local printer on openSUSE..... that's how I'm using it right now, but you need to use the connection port below as that's what the canon ppd uses, then it works.
      //localhost:59687
      swerdna -
      Excellent johnoshock. I'll try it on the weekend