• Multimedia and Restricted Formats Installation Guide 12.2

Revised and Simplified manual Method This assumes you already have the default: Oss, NON-OSS, NON-OSS-Update and Update repositories.

Step 1:

• Become super user in a terminal (su -). Learn how here
    • Or watch video here

Step 2
    (Main Multimedia sources)
    • Add the necessary repositories by copying and pasting the following code into the su - terminal

Packman
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.2/ packman
    For DVD Playback
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/12.2/ libdvdcss
    Now we refresh them
    Code:
    zypper ref
    (a) to accept always and trust the signing key

Step 3
    Adding the basic packages. Using the same su - terminal. Now carefully copy and paste the following:

FOR KDE USE THIS:
    Code:

zypper in libdvdcss2 vlc libxine2-codecs libxine2-pulse k3b-codecs lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon  w32codec-all MPlayer smplayer gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good libxine2  libdvdplay0 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 xine-ui libmad0 libavutil51 sox  libxvidcore4 xvidcore libavcodec52 libavdevice52 libvlc5 lsb  pullin-flash-player flash-player gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra k3b vlc-aout-pulse libquicktime0  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gecko-mediaplayer

FOR GNOME/XFCE/LXDE USE THIS:
    Code:

zypper in libdvdcss2 vlc libxine2-codecs libxine2-pulse lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon  totem-browser-plugin w32codec-all MPlayer smplayer  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good libxine2 libdvdplay0 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4  xine-ui libmad0 libavutil51 sox libxvidcore4 xvidcore libavcodec52  libavdevice52 libvlc5 totem totem-plugins  nautilus-totem lsb pullin-flash-player flash-player vlc-aout-pulse gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra  libquicktime0 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon

Step 4 When step 3 is complete: Now close the terminal and open: Yast > Software > Software Management
    • If you are working with a new install, this may automatically add a list of forced updates. Apply and run those first and then return to Software Manager
    • Now use the package switcher on Packman. KDE and Gnome interface look different:

KDE: Example of Packman switch in KDE

Gnome: Example of Packman switch in Gnome

Video Example (KDE QT UI): Switching to Packman Video

If you encounter dependency errors: Eg: Errors You need to accept changes that allow vendor switch to Packman If you can't work it out. Ask in the forum.

That is it!

====================================================================================================================

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. This multi-media install now separates kde and gnome. This should ensure a complete multi-media experience with the least difficulty.
    2. A good step by step multimedia check is available HERE
    3. Please do not use the VideoLan repository!
    4. OneClick options will be available here: Restricted formats - openSUSE Community Wiki
    Comments 50 Comments
      caf4926 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Golbats_Everywhere View Post
      The GNOME one-click doesn't install enough software to play DVDs. You need to follow this guide manually: the one-click is missing tons of packages specified in this guide and is, frankly, useless. =/ If you follow the guide and install the packages manually, you'll be fine.

E.g. libdvdplay0 doesn't get installed by the one-click, nor does gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3... just a couple omissions that looked important to me, there's many more.

People WILL go back to Ubuntu if they don't figure this out. =(
      The OneClick is managed by Packman. I'll pass your comments on
      Golbats_Everywhere -
      Thanks caf - much appreciated.
      caf4926 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Golbats_Everywhere View Post
      Thanks caf - much appreciated.
      My post in the ML brought back this:

People shouldn't need proprietary fluendo to play mp3, when they get the
      various gstreamer plugin packages (good, bad, ugly) from Packman. Works fine
      for me with no fluendo.

Also I can play encrypted dvd movies without libdvdplay0 installed, I don't
      think anything should be needed except libdvdcss2.

But not using GNOME I can't easily test the stuff, so I need some GNOME user to
      inform me which packages should be added ...or removed (I wonder if GNOMErs
      generally really need libxine for anything, which is currently installed by
      the gnome codec 1-click).

So please, any GNOME user please just provide a list of the packages you think
      should be installed, and I will update the 1-click accordingly.
      frodemeek -
      Quote Originally Posted by PiElle View Post
      Very easy and useful as ever.
      Keep up the good work!
      Regards.
      Luca.
      Yes. This worked very well: I installed the x86_x64 version of the live-cd. Had problems installing vlc, but when going through these instructions I could play the mp4v, x264 formats. And so forth. Thank you very much.
      caf4926 -
      Quote Originally Posted by frodemeek View Post
      Yes. This worked very well: I installed the x86_x64 version of the live-cd. Had problems installing vlc, but when going through these instructions I could play the mp4v, x264 formats. And so forth. Thank you very much.
      Good to hear...thanks
      vazhavandan -
      regarding the question to GNOME users
      I think you should add gnome-mplayer and related browser plugin(gecko-mediaplayer) and nautilus-gnome-mplayer-properties-page for starters because it is minimalistic as well as stable.It is very easy to configure too.
      umplayer is good too
      You can also offer mplayer2 and mplayer2-as-mplayer as optional and warn them that mplayer2 will be the new mplayer :-)
      Golbats_Everywhere -
      Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
      regarding the question to GNOME users
      I think you should add gnome-mplayer and related browser plugin(gecko-mediaplayer) and nautilus-gnome-mplayer-properties-page for starters because it is minimalistic as well as stable.It is very easy to configure too.
      umplayer is good too
      You can also offer mplayer2 and mplayer2-as-mplayer as optional and warn them that mplayer2 will be the new mplayer :-)
      Martin updated the GNOME one-click today to fix the nonfunctional DVD playback. It actually removed MPlayer as well - now the one-click only installs codecs rather than including any GUI applications. (Of course if you don't like Totem, you can always install MPlayer manually. :-)
      stevenkh -
      Wow, this went realy smooth here, thanx for the explanation!
      Greets from Holland,
      StevenKH
      blainesimpson -
      The 12.2 Guide is awesome.

I don't want to upgrade to 12.3 unless somebody has a similar procedure worked out for 12.3. I don't want to go back to dealing with conflicts every single time I update my packages.

Anything for 12.3?
      caf4926 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blainesimpson View Post
      The 12.2 Guide is awesome.

I don't want to upgrade to 12.3 unless somebody has a similar procedure worked out for 12.3. I don't want to go back to dealing with conflicts every single time I update my packages.

Anything for 12.3?
      https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/ca...ion-guide-126/