View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Installing openSUSE 12.1 on a ASUS EEEpc X101CH

Yesterday I got three ASUS EEEpc X101CH netbooks at hand, to install openSUSE 12.1 on. I decided to do a NET install, since the netbooks have only 1 GB or RAM and a LiveCD install needs a bit more. Install worked like a charm, until first reboot, which was followed by a complete freeze and udevd crashing. I searched the forums, but nothing came up. Searched Google and found one post (dated yesterday) describing the same issue, mentioning the plan to add the Kernel:/stable/standard repo. This repo ...
    Categories
    openSUSE
  2. S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.50

by , 12-Feb-2012 at 08:19 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)

I am happy to present my bash script S.A.N.D.I., SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer which is written to work with DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support to allow the automatic installation of the nVIDIA proprietary Video Driver each time you upgrade your Kernel version. What DKMS does is to recompile and install any DKMS loaded driver against the running kernel each time a new kernel version is loaded. DKMS only works with ...

Updated 06-Jan-2014 at 09:58 by kgroneman

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. ISOMount - Allows you to mount and Browse ISO Files - Version 1.00

by , 03-Feb-2012 at 19:40 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)

ISOMount is a bash script (works with openSUSE 12.1 & 12.2) written to be launched from the KDE or GNOME desktop to allow the mounting of any ISO file, thus allowing you to be able read any file from within. When you first start ISOMount, you will see a screen like this:

ISOMount creates a new local folder in your home area called mnt ...

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 18:16 by jdmcdaniel3

Tags: files, iso, mount, umount
    Categories
    openSUSE Software
  4. Installing FreeDOS on an openSUSE-12.1 PC (separate partition)

by , 15-Jan-2012 at 17:14 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I installed the latest FreeDOS on my sandbox PC being careful not to wipe grub used by openSUSE-12.1. I find it useful to have another different operating system (from GNU/Linux) on a PC, and in the case of this OLD PC, FreeDOS is what I prefer to have in place.

This old Sandbox PC has an MSI KT3 Ultra (KT333) motherboard with a 32-bit athlon-1100 CPU, a nVidia FX5200 graphic card, and 2 GB of RAM. I have an empty VERY SMALL ~500 MB partition on the PC in the position of /dev/sda1 ...

Updated 16-Jan-2012 at 04:58 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tip: Getting 3D to work with the nouveau driver

I had trouble with getting the Nvidia driver to work. Rather than keep fighting with it, I decided since I had the nouveau driver installed, and to keep with open source, to figure out how, if it was even possible, to get 3D working with the nouveau driver. I found this document; nouveau Wiki - MesaDrivers which lead me to get Mesa-nouveau3d; software.opensuse.org: Search Results I did the search for 12.1, you can change it to fit your version. Glxinfo does show direct rendering after reboot. Problem ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast