View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. S.A.C.T. - Samba Automated Configuration Tool - Version 1.20

by , 10-Mar-2013 at 08:04 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    SCREENSHOTS - MAIN MENU:

I have written a new tool to Setup and Configure Samba which should work on all present supported versions of openSUSE and specifically to work with the new openSUSE 12.3 release.

S.A.C.T. supports the complete and automatic configuration of Samba for use by anyone not familiar with just how to setup Samba ...

Updated 27-May-2013 at 11:41 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  2. Dual boot opensuse 12.3 and Windows 8 on a UEFI box

If you search around the Internet, you may find many reports of problems with dual booting Windows and linux in a UEFI environment. There are a number of pitfalls, and I have stumbled over several of those.

The aim of this post is to explain how to do it and avoid the pitfalls. This is based on my own experience, with the UEFI BIOS for a Dell Inspiron 660 (BIOS version A05). Other UEFI systems may behave differently, though the suggestions that I give should work with most of them. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. SysdCmd - systemd Command Help/Config Editor - Version: 1.1.2

by , 28-Apr-2013 at 18:40 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    SCREENSHOTS:

SysdCmd is a bash script intended to be used in openSUSE and tested with openSUSE version 12.3. I have included all of the features I feel openSUSE users will likely want in a bash script intended to help you learn how to use and work with systemd. SysdCmd will install the following standard openSUSE packages: systemd-ui, systemd-analyze and graphviz all of which will require root user access. The ...

Updated 19-May-2013 at 14:37 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  4. OpenSUSE-12.3, 13.1, and 13.2 on Toshiba Satellite Z930 Ultrabook

by , 20-Jul-2013 at 05:53 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I successfully installed openSUSE-12.3 on a Toshiba Satellite Z930 Ultrabook (with KDE-4.10 desktop). I have this running now for over 1-month, and I have to say I am very pleased thus far with both the Ultrabook and with openSUSE-12.3 running on it.

More can be read on this Ultrabook running under GNU/Linux in this Linlap Toshiba Z930 thread for the Portege which is almost identical to my Toshiba:

Specification:

The specification of this Ultrabook ...

Updated 16-Nov-2014 at 13:50 by oldcpu (updated title to reflect 13.1 and 13.2 installs)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Recovering a /home partition with fsck 7000km away

by , 24-Jan-2015 at 15:12 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I had an interesting experience today with my +88-year-old mother's computer (running openSUSE-13.1), which is a continent away. After returning from an out-of-country business trip late in the evening the previous night, I woke up this morning to find out that I had received an SMS and email from my sister, who lives in same city as my mother, that my mother's GNU/Linux computer had major problems and was refusing to boot. My sister sent me this picture of the boot screen:

Updated 20-Feb-2015 at 06:42 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast