View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Installing openSUSE LEAP-42.2 on two EFI PCs

by , 25-Dec-2016 at 06:09 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I installed openSUSE LEAP-42.2 on my Toshiba Z930 laptop, and also on my Core-i7 custom PC over the Christmas break. Both PCs use EFI and I am not very experienced with EFI, so I thought that this might be a good learning experience. The downside was I was doing this with a head cold (ie headache, mild-fever, stuff sinus, hacking cough ... etc .. which is not the smartest condition to be in when trying something new).

The Toshiba Z930 laptop installation experience was very smooth ...

Updated 04-Jan-2017 at 00:55 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Create "Guest" user with passwordless login

If You use LightDM:

1. In Yast2 create guest user
    2. /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf :
    [SeatDefaults]
    autologin-user=guest
    autologin-user-timeout=7200

It seems all!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Creating a file option for installing RPM packages

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I wanted to be able to install a single RPM package again, so today I right-clicked on a RPM package, and chose 'Open With' > 'Other...', then entered
    Code:
    xdg-su -c "/sbin/yast2 sw_single %F"
    This created 'xdg-su.desktop in ~/.local/share/applications. I renamed this file to software-installer.desktop and edited it so that the name made more sense to me
    Code:
    Name=Software Installer
    There should be corresponding update in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Musings on the logic and discussions that lead to openSUSE LEAP-42.1

by , 24-Nov-2015 at 13:42 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    This post provides my current views on openSUSE-LEAP currently at v.42.1.

I originally composed a version of this as a reply to an openSUSE user's questions, and decided to modify it slightly and make it into a 'blog post'.

This is the 1st of 2 parts.

This is my thinking as to the logic and discussions that lead to openSUSE LEAP-42.1. It is not original thinking but rather it comes from reading many posts of many other people far more knowledgeable and far ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Reboot (once) to selected different Grub2 boot partitions. Also label/reorder partitions in Grub2

by , 30-Aug-2015 at 20:01 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    When updating my 89-year old mother's PC, I found it very useful to be able to reboot (one time only) from one boot partition direct to another partition on her PC.

Why ?

I live in Europe, and my mother lives in North America. I find this is very useful when I am accessing her PC remotely (from Europe, when her PC is in North America), and I need to access a different partition on her PC, and I do not want to ask her to reboot the PC.

To perform the reboot, ...

Updated 30-Aug-2015 at 20:13 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast