View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. DKMS + NVIDIA on openSUSE

NOTE: This will only work if all other NVIDIA installs have been removed
    NOTE: This was made up for the 331.20 driver. The package will update to newer versions of the driver, currently 331.38
    The package is in fact no more than a spec file, that
    • pulls in the appropriate NVIDIA.....run from NVIDIA's ftp site. If a 32bit openSUSE is installed then NVIDIA-x86-331.20.run will be downloaded, in case of a 64bit openSUSE the NVIDIA-x86_64-331.20.run.
    • runs the installer in a non-gui

Updated 14-Jan-2014 at 16:20 by Knurpht

Categories
    openSUSE
  2. systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3

by , 12-Nov-2011 at 21:25 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I have found out that in openSUSE 12.1/12.2 and now 12.3, some startup scripts do not operate due to the usage of systemd. systemd really speeds up system startup by running the many startup processes in parallel and avoids the usage of shell scripts altogether. That is is good for speed, but not good if you are in need of running something in openSUSE as root when the system is restarted. In my case I was trying to run some VirtualBox mount commands in a VM running openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3 and ...

Updated 28-Jul-2013 at 15:26 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  3. Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way

by , 18-Jun-2011 at 12:03 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    If you have an nVIDIA video card, do you have 3D support enabled? If you look into the "My Computer" icon, what does the display info say there? Here is a look at mine:

Code:
                Display Info

Vendor:  nVidia Corporation
        Model:  GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti]
    2D driver:  nvidia
    3D driver:  NVIDIA 331.20
    I always install the nVIDIA driver the Hard Way, which is not very hard using the most recent driver and I always run the ...

Updated 09-Nov-2013 at 08:27 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Hardware