View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3

by , 12-Nov-2011 at 21:25 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I have found out that in openSUSE 12.1/12.2 and now 12.3, some startup scripts do not operate due to the usage of systemd. systemd really speeds up system startup by running the many startup processes in parallel and avoids the usage of shell scripts altogether. That is is good for speed, but not good if you are in need of running something in openSUSE as root when the system is restarted. In my case I was trying to run some VirtualBox mount commands in a VM running openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3 and ...

Updated 28-Jul-2013 at 15:26 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  2. OpenSUSE-12.1 installation nvidia workarounds

by , 17-Nov-2011 at 15:32 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    32-bit OpenSUSE-12.1 graphic install failed and required a simple workaround (with a legacy nVidia FX-5200 graphic card). This 12.1 install, was on my 10+ year old sandbox PC (whose first SuSE was SuSE-Pro-7.3 those 10 years ago). This PC, upgraded over the years, has 2GB RAM and an AGP FX5200 nVidia graphic card, which the nouveau driver does not particularly like.

1/2 way through the openSUSE-12.1 installation, immediately after all software and the boot manager was installed, ...

Updated 26-Nov-2011 at 00:41 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work

After a very quick and smooth install of openSUSE 12.1 I missed one thing on the GNOME 3.2 desktop, though I knew it was installed: the dock extension. On GNOME 3.0 it produced a dock on the right side, the same like when hitting the Activities , then shown on the left. I ran "gnome-tweak-tool" and it did not even see the extension, though it is on disk, in the proper place: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
    I googled a bit and did not find ...

Updated 17-Nov-2011 at 14:37 by Knurpht

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Experiences - Asus Transformer Tablet with openSUSE

by , 20-Nov-2011 at 02:01 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I successfully connected my Asus Transformer Tablet PC via a USB connection to my 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 PC (running KDE-4.6.0) to copy files to/from. The Asus Transformer is running Android 3.2.1 and my openSUSE-11.4 is running KDE-4.6.0.

To interface the Transformer to my desktop PC, I used the USB/power cable that comes with the Transformer, which is a cable that plugs into the Transformer's Tablet section ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. openSUSE-12.1 to openSUSE Leap-42.3 with gImageReader and Tesseract

by , 27-Nov-2011 at 07:42 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    On openSUSE-12.1 for scanning and OCR I have installed Tesseract-ocr and gImageReader . I like the capability to be able to conduct OCR of French, German and English languages, especially since I am an expatriate living abroad.

I blogged about this before with openSUSE-11.4, and posted about it wrt openSUSE-11.3 and 11.4 in these threads

Updated 06-Sep-2017 at 13:52 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast