View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. MMCHECK - Version 2.45 - Check Your Multimedia in 16 Steps - Bash Script File

by , 28-Jun-2011 at 18:12 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I have updated mmcheck to version 2.45 for use with openSUSE 12.1 & 12.2, added in checks for the all new mplayer files and for the changes made in Packman.

Before using mmcheck, always consult the following thread for the proper way to setup your multimedia in openSUSE.

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

The newest version of mmcheck is too large to be ...

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 18:21 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  2. Some interesting Tablets as of end-May-2011

by , 04-Jun-2011 at 14:33 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I took a small look on the Internet at some tablet PCs that were released in the past few months, and the tablet market is starting to get interesting.

Dispelled preconceptions and some assumptions

The first thing I had to dump (for now) was the idea of running openSUSE on any of these Tablets. In truth, openSUSE (nor most other Linux distributions) are up to that task. I also noted none of these Tablets are yet at the stage where their OS (Android or Windows7) ...

Updated 23-Jul-2011 at 16:09 by oldcpu (removed reference to my being ill ...)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ

by , 18-Jun-2011 at 07:53 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    In openSUSE 11.4, the control of your CPU energy usage has been moved to the YaST Power Management module. This How To and FAQ Tells you how to install and enable this CPU control module.

With openSUSE 13.1, this function has been removed from YaST and is no longer selectable as outlined in this blog.

To begin, you must start the YaST Control Center and enter the root user password as normal. Then, proceed to:

YaST / Software / Software Management ...

Updated 11-Nov-2013 at 06:44 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  4. CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP

by , 14-Oct-2019 at 07:45 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I recently purchased a UPS for my desktop computer which is currently running openSUSE LEAP-15.0.

There is discussion on my deliberations prior to purchasing in this openSUSE thread.

As noted in the title, the UPS I purchased is the CyberPower UT1500E 1500VA/900W, which I believe should be adequate for my 4-year old core-i7 desktop PC. My nominal plan, after there is a power outage, is to have my PC automatically shutdown within 1 minute of the power outage. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Looking for mobile router (or mobile 3G compatible) router ...

by , 07-Aug-2011 at 06:05 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I'm looking for views on portable/mobile 3G mobile routers (with built in battery) !

My wife suggested we consider this for our travels, as this may be an interesting way to go (and we are both Internet fiends). The philosophy is one has a very small (deck of cards size) router that obtains the Internet signal via a 3G connection. It then turns around and rebroadcasts this signal via a short range wireless. One can then connect their laptop, or tablet to that wireless, and thus have ...

Updated 07-Aug-2011 at 06:14 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast