View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. openSUSE and a depressed server...

A couple of months ago, my server/workstation got depressed, i.e. it was very down. Down to being no more than a blue powerled. No traces in the log files, no indication what it was not happy about, which I found quite annoying, mostly since I didn't have a clue of what was going on. I ran memtest for 48 hours, no errors at all, checked all file systems, ditto. Then my wife called while I was away, reporting beeeeep, beep, beep. Checked on the web, yes, videocard dead, which she confirmed, since ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Power of Open Source and openSUSE, a story.

A couple of years ago, I was asked to express my ideas on an on- and offline ticket sales system with customer management etc., automatically feeding the website of an organization. Being a firm open source believer I gave my default answer: "Use open source means, question is not whether that's possible, question is which means to use, then make what's left to do". Briefly: I made them an offer, they accepted, and I suddenly was a sytem+software designer-engineer-programmer. And a database ...

Updated 10-Sep-2011 at 07:12 by Knurpht

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Looking for mobile router (or mobile 3G compatible) router ...

by , 07-Aug-2011 at 06:05 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I'm looking for views on portable/mobile 3G mobile routers (with built in battery) !

My wife suggested we consider this for our travels, as this may be an interesting way to go (and we are both Internet fiends). The philosophy is one has a very small (deck of cards size) router that obtains the Internet signal via a 3G connection. It then turns around and rebroadcasts this signal via a short range wireless. One can then connect their laptop, or tablet to that wireless, and thus have ...

Updated 07-Aug-2011 at 06:14 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Pondering e4rat - will it speed up GNU/Linux boot times ?

by , 07-Aug-2011 at 02:16 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    This morning I read of e4rat which will purportedly significantly reduce GNU/Linux users boot times (for those with ext4 / partition (which is nominal)). e4rat ? Stands for "Ext4 - Reducing Access Times" and it purportedly is a toolset to accelerate the boot process as well as application startups. Through physical file reallocation e4rat purports to eliminate both seek times and rotational delays.

The project home page is here with some interesting boot charts: e4rat of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Berkeley Packet Filter Just in Time compiler and The Linux Kernel 3.0

by , 06-Aug-2011 at 20:10 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I noticed a new addition to the Linux Kernel 3.0 which was called the "Berkeley Packet Filter Just in Time compiler". This seemed intriguing to me though I admit to not knowing how to make use of it. The H Open link on the subject is as follows:

Kernel Log: Coming in 3.0 (Part 1) - Networking - The H Open Source: News and Features

Just in time

The netfilter code now includes a "Berkeley Packet Filter Just-in-Time Compiler" for x86-64 systems.

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 17:54 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast