View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. CyberPower UT1500E UPS for desktop computer running openSUSE LEAP

by , Yesterday at 07:45 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I recently purchased a UPS for my desktop computer which is currently running openSUSE LEAP-15.0.

There is discussion on my deliberations prior to purchasing in this openSUSE thread.

As noted in the title, the UPS I purchased is the CyberPower UT1500E 1500VA/900W, which I believe should be adequate for my 4-year old core-i7 desktop PC. My nominal plan, after there is a power outage, is to have my PC automatically shutdown within 1 minute of the power outage. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. not booting into GUI - I messed up something

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    I was removing things installed with 'dkms', and now this laptop boots to terminal mode instead of into the GUI.
    It is also not booting to user auto login. I can login, enter password and then type 'startx' to get back to the GUI

These are what I was removing in YaST from the bottom up.
    I pretty sure it was the gcc that cause this but not sure, but what ever it was caused a reboot, and that is when it stopped at the terminal input.

Code:
    Downloading fipscheck (download
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Installing an HP Deskject All-in-One 2675 with SUSE-LEAP

by , 05-Jul-2019 at 04:09 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I recently moved to a new continent, and discarded my old HP printer (which after many years was still running fine - but I did not want to pay the expense of shipping it). To replace it, I purchased a relatively inexpensive HP 2675 Deskjet Ink Advantage 2675 All-in-one printer. One of the reasons I chose the 2675 is its HP Ink Advantage 680 cartridges are not as expensive as many other HP cartridges. I find ink for HP printers tend to be more expensive than cartridges for some of the competition ...

Updated 03-Aug-2019 at 21:20 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Playing with dashcam (Viofo A119 V2) mp4 files in openSUSE GNU/Linux

by , 09-Apr-2019 at 11:55 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I briefly played with my new Viofo A119 v2 dashcam's mp4 files in openSUSE GNU/Linux LEAP-15.0. I still have a lot to learn on this, but I was able to use some of the superb work conducted by others to make some progress with the Viofo A119's video files.

As noted, this is a Viofo A119 v2 dashcam (where I purchased the GPS module option and also a 128 GB micro SD card to store videos). It is an old make of a dashcam, but because it uses 'capacitors' and not a 'battery', I am hoping ...

Updated 10-Apr-2019 at 04:10 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Stabilizing a Video in openSUSE GNU/Linux with vid.stab and ffmpeg

by , 25-Mar-2019 at 10:45 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    This blog entry is about a technique to use to stabilize videos that are shaky.

I previous posted in 2009 about a technique running an MS-Windows application under “wine”, which worked reasonably well. This was the application “VirtualDub” with the plugin “deshaker”.

This current post is about a pure GNU/Linux technique, using the openSUSE packman packager packaged application “ffmpeg” and the library “libvidstab”.

In general , the application is integrated ...

Updated 28-Mar-2019 at 00:36 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast