View RSS Feed

Knurpht Blogs

Hi all,

Thanks to the continuous efforts of our admins the development of the openSUSE Forums goes on and on. From today, 25th of May 2011, we can blog. Blog about openSUSE, blog about other thoughts? Don't know yet. It's already been a while since I blogged -even the site does no longer exist-, but this is a good time to pick it up. Can't promise a daily return, but the intention to write here is there, we'll see.

1. DKMS + NVIDIA on openSUSE

NOTE: This will only work if all other NVIDIA installs have been removed
    NOTE: This was made up for the 331.20 driver. The package will update to newer versions of the driver, currently 331.38
    The package is in fact no more than a spec file, that
    • pulls in the appropriate NVIDIA.....run from NVIDIA's ftp site. If a 32bit openSUSE is installed then NVIDIA-x86-331.20.run will be downloaded, in case of a 64bit openSUSE the NVIDIA-x86_64-331.20.run.
    • runs the installer in a non-gui

Updated 14-Jan-2014 at 16:20 by Knurpht

Categories
    openSUSE
  2. Playing media content from openSUSE on a DLNA Smart TV

Wondered how easy it would be to make content on an openSUSE machine available through DLNA on our smart TV. The TV already has a wired networkconnection to our gigabit LAN. And this was all there is to it:

Prepare: take 1 openSUSE machine

Step one: go to http://software.opensuse.org , search for "minidlna"
    Step two: install minidlna
    Step three: read through /etc/minidlna.conf and enter own media_dirs in full path
    Step four: remove /var/cache/minidlna/* ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. New laptop: ASUS A73SD-TY121V openSUSE 12.2

Before installing I replaced the 5400 rpm HDD by an ADATA sata-600 120GB SSD. That was the hardest part.
    I booted a 12.2 KDE Live USBstick, performed a default install, approx 5 minutes, restored /home and some other stuff from a backup from on an SSD with mini USB, done. Back up and running with all my stuff in 3 hours. Both laptop and openSUSE 12.2 are fast, fast, fast.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Installing openSUSE 12.1 on a ASUS EEEpc X101CH

Yesterday I got three ASUS EEEpc X101CH netbooks at hand, to install openSUSE 12.1 on. I decided to do a NET install, since the netbooks have only 1 GB or RAM and a LiveCD install needs a bit more. Install worked like a charm, until first reboot, which was followed by a complete freeze and udevd crashing. I searched the forums, but nothing came up. Searched Google and found one post (dated yesterday) describing the same issue, mentioning the plan to add the Kernel:/stable/standard repo. This repo ...
    Categories
    openSUSE
  5. Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work

After a very quick and smooth install of openSUSE 12.1 I missed one thing on the GNOME 3.2 desktop, though I knew it was installed: the dock extension. On GNOME 3.0 it produced a dock on the right side, the same like when hitting the Activities , then shown on the left. I ran "gnome-tweak-tool" and it did not even see the extension, though it is on disk, in the proper place: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
    I googled a bit and did not find ...

Updated 17-Nov-2011 at 14:37 by Knurpht

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast