View RSS Feed

Knurpht Blogs

Hi all,

Thanks to the continuous efforts of our admins the development of the openSUSE Forums goes on and on. From today, 25th of May 2011, we can blog. Blog about openSUSE, blog about other thoughts? Don't know yet. It's already been a while since I blogged -even the site does no longer exist-, but this is a good time to pick it up. Can't promise a daily return, but the intention to write here is there, we'll see.

1. Getting dock extension on GNOME 3.2 to work

After a very quick and smooth install of openSUSE 12.1 I missed one thing on the GNOME 3.2 desktop, though I knew it was installed: the dock extension. On GNOME 3.0 it produced a dock on the right side, the same like when hitting the Activities , then shown on the left. I ran "gnome-tweak-tool" and it did not even see the extension, though it is on disk, in the proper place: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
    I googled a bit and did not find ...

Updated 17-Nov-2011 at 14:37 by Knurpht

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. openSUSE and a depressed server...

A couple of months ago, my server/workstation got depressed, i.e. it was very down. Down to being no more than a blue powerled. No traces in the log files, no indication what it was not happy about, which I found quite annoying, mostly since I didn't have a clue of what was going on. I ran memtest for 48 hours, no errors at all, checked all file systems, ditto. Then my wife called while I was away, reporting beeeeep, beep, beep. Checked on the web, yes, videocard dead, which she confirmed, since ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Power of Open Source and openSUSE, a story.

A couple of years ago, I was asked to express my ideas on an on- and offline ticket sales system with customer management etc., automatically feeding the website of an organization. Being a firm open source believer I gave my default answer: "Use open source means, question is not whether that's possible, question is which means to use, then make what's left to do". Briefly: I made them an offer, they accepted, and I suddenly was a sytem+software designer-engineer-programmer. And a database ...

Updated 10-Sep-2011 at 07:12 by Knurpht

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Eerste NL blog post - Evolution

Na jaren KDE gebruikt te hebben als hoofd-desktop omgeving, met Opera als mailclient, ben ik een paar weken geleden min of meer per ongeluk overgestapt naar GNOME 3. Op ontdekkingstocht in GNOME kwam ik ook op Evolution, heb daar eerst eens een testaccount in gegooid, zelf een export/import van mijn adressen in Opera gemaakt via LibreOffice Calc (pffft, er bleek een site voor te zijn). Daarbij heb ik ook de mogelijkheden ontdekt om Google Calendar agenda's te koppelen, standaard te maken in Evolution. ...
  5. Happens to all parents, if things go right.....

Today my eldest son, Gijs, left the building....sniff, and at the same time, no sniff. He's on Schiermonnikoog now for his summer job on the local camping site, comes back shortly in August to pick up his belongings and leave for studying in Maastricht, which is completely on the other side of our country.....
    From when he was young, I've been aware of the fact that kids, from birth, do nothing but grow away from you. And it's good to see a grown man leave the house, where he entered my life ...
    Categories
    Knurpht's Life
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12