View RSS Feed

oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE

1. Playing with dashcam (Viofo A119 V2) mp4 files in openSUSE GNU/Linux

by , 09-Apr-2019 at 11:55 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I briefly played with my new Viofo A119 v2 dashcam's mp4 files in openSUSE GNU/Linux LEAP-15.0. I still have a lot to learn on this, but I was able to use some of the superb work conducted by others to make some progress with the Viofo A119's video files.

As noted, this is a Viofo A119 v2 dashcam (where I purchased the GPS module option and also a 128 GB micro SD card to store videos). It is an old make of a dashcam, but because it uses 'capacitors' and not a 'battery', I am hoping ...

Updated 10-Apr-2019 at 04:10 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Stabilizing a Video in openSUSE GNU/Linux with vid.stab and ffmpeg

by , 25-Mar-2019 at 10:45 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    This blog entry is about a technique to use to stabilize videos that are shaky.

I previous posted in 2009 about a technique running an MS-Windows application under “wine”, which worked reasonably well. This was the application “VirtualDub” with the plugin “deshaker”.

This current post is about a pure GNU/Linux technique, using the openSUSE packman packager packaged application “ffmpeg” and the library “libvidstab”.

In general , the application is integrated ...

Updated 28-Mar-2019 at 00:36 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Installing openSUSE LEAP-42.2 on two EFI PCs

by , 25-Dec-2016 at 06:09 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    I installed openSUSE LEAP-42.2 on my Toshiba Z930 laptop, and also on my Core-i7 custom PC over the Christmas break. Both PCs use EFI and I am not very experienced with EFI, so I thought that this might be a good learning experience. The downside was I was doing this with a head cold (ie headache, mild-fever, stuff sinus, hacking cough ... etc .. which is not the smartest condition to be in when trying something new).

The Toshiba Z930 laptop installation experience was very smooth ...

Updated 04-Jan-2017 at 00:55 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Musings on the logic and discussions that lead to openSUSE LEAP-42.1

by , 24-Nov-2015 at 13:42 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    This post provides my current views on openSUSE-LEAP currently at v.42.1.

I originally composed a version of this as a reply to an openSUSE user's questions, and decided to modify it slightly and make it into a 'blog post'.

This is the 1st of 2 parts.

This is my thinking as to the logic and discussions that lead to openSUSE LEAP-42.1. It is not original thinking but rather it comes from reading many posts of many other people far more knowledgeable and far ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Reboot (once) to selected different Grub2 boot partitions. Also label/reorder partitions in Grub2

by , 30-Aug-2015 at 20:01 (oldcpu's meandering thoughts on Computers, GNU/Linux and openSUSE)
    When updating my 89-year old mother's PC, I found it very useful to be able to reboot (one time only) from one boot partition direct to another partition on her PC.

Why ?

I live in Europe, and my mother lives in North America. I find this is very useful when I am accessing her PC remotely (from Europe, when her PC is in North America), and I need to access a different partition on her PC, and I do not want to ask her to reboot the PC.

To perform the reboot, ...

Updated 30-Aug-2015 at 20:13 by oldcpu

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast