Blog Comments

Quicklaunch command : "PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype" worked in all cases.
    Horrible buzzing noise when launching Skype on a laptop : problem solved.
    No sound on a first desktop : problem solved
    Bad sound on another one : problem solved.
    Thank you.
    Opensuse development team didn't have to change Pulseaudio latency for this piece of ****, Microsoft owned, NSA approved, we install because friends/family/children with no computer ethics use it. :shame: :shame: :shame:
    I successfully tested openSUSE-13.1 HDMI using this Toshiba Satellite Z930 Ultrabook earlier today.

The test consisted of connecting the Ultrabook's HDMI output to our TV's HDMI input using an HDMI cable. We first selected the TV's HDMI input using the TV's remote. Then once the HDMI cable was connected from computer to TV I started a video with smplayer and typed in a konsole 'xrandr' . The smplayer application and video then appeared on the TV without sound from the TV. I then ran the application 'pavucontrol' and selected one of the 'HDMI' options in the 'pavucontrol' configuration tab. I then ensured pavucontrol 'output' and 'playback' tabs were consistent with the HDMI selection. That immediately provided the videos sound to the TV speakers (as per the smplayer application playback).

One thing that surprised me, was that typing 'xrandr' did not bring up a monitor control GUI but rather only continued with the konsole display. I was eventually able to teach myself how to start/stop the HDMI with the xrandr command arguments. I did not figure out how to bring up a monitor control GUI.

But both my wife and I were happy to have the HDMI working to our TV. This now opens up the possibility of easily watching home videos on our living room TV using my Toshiba Satellite Z930 Ultrabook computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Malcolmlewis was also kind enough to package gImageReader for openSUSE-12.3.
    openSUSE-13.1 gimagereader - Once again, Malcolmlewis was also kind enough to package gImageReader for openSUSE-13.1.

openSUSE-13.1

For information, to setup gImageReader to read/OCR German and French in opnSUSE-13.1, I modified the guide above since a number of the packages are now part of the baseline openSUSE repository, plus some names of packages have changed. I sent the following package manager commands to add Malcomlewis' repository and install the required packages:

First - to add Malcomlewis' repository :
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.1/ malcolm
    Then to install the necessary applications :
    Code:
    zypper in myspell-french myspell-german aspell aspell-de aspell-en aspell-fr ispell-french ispell-german aspell-spell
    zypper in tesseract tesseract-traineddata-german tesseract-traineddata-american tesseract-traineddata-french python-gimagereader python-imaging
    Then finally remove Malcomlewis' repository (as I like to keep my repository list lean and fast) :
    Code:
    zypper rr malcolm
    I then ran gimage reader with the command (in a terminal/konsole) :
    Code:
    gimagereader

Some messages that I noted during the install :
    Code:
    zypper in myspell-french myspell-german aspell aspell-de aspell-en aspell-fr ispell-french ispell-german aspell-spell

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      aspell aspell-de aspell-en aspell-fr aspell-spell ispell-french ispell-german myspell-french myspell-german 

The following recommended package was automatically selected:
      aspell-en 

The following package is suggested, but will not be installed:
      aspell-ispell 

9 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 8.3 MiB. After the operation, additional 36.7 MiB will be used
    and
    Code:

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      docbook_4 gnome-vfs2 gnome-vfs2-lang gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gtkspell-lang iso_ent libbonobo libbonobo-lang libbonoboui 
      libbonoboui-lang libgnome libgnomecanvas-2-0 libgnomecanvas-lang libgnome-lang libgnomeui libgnomeui-lang libgtkspell0 libIDL-2-0 
      liblept3 libtesseract3 libyelp0 orbit2 python-bonobo python-egg python-gimagereader python-gnomecanvas python-gnome-extras 
      python-gtkspell python-imaging python-imaging-sane python-orbit python-poppler python-pyenchant python-tk sgml-skel tesseract 
      tesseract-traineddata-american tesseract-traineddata-french tesseract-traineddata-german tix tk xhost yelp yelp-xsl 

The following recommended packages were automatically selected:
      gnome-vfs2-lang gtkspell-lang libbonobo-lang libbonoboui-lang libgnomecanvas-lang libgnome-lang libgnomeui-lang 
      tesseract-traineddata-american yelp 

44 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 24.4 MiB. After the operation, additional 113.4 MiB will be used
    where I obtained one error during the install (which does not appear to matter as near as I can currently determine) :
    Code:
    (30/44) Installing: libgnome-2.32.1-13.1.3 ...........................................................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:

(gconftool-2:7168): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

and then when I ran 'gimagereader' , while the application appears to run fine I noted the following error in a terminal:
    Code:
    (gimagereader:7195): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.98:/org/freedesktop/PackageKit: dbus.exceptions.IntrospectionParserException: Error parsing introspect data: <class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>: unbound prefix: line 5, column 4
    ... but from a functional perspective, the app currently appears to work, albeit I have more testing to do.
    Updated 08-Apr-2016 at 11:25 by oldcpu
    Put in /home/your_user_ home_name/.local/share/applications/skype.destop

Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

and remove old

exec=skype %U

save it

And enjoy!
    The only correct decision to avoid being deaf and mute skype is:
    QUOTE:
    Until Skype is fixed and updated, run skype from the command line:

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC = 60 skype

END QUOTE!

Please, colleagues, limit obsession to write redundant. Asking others to read extra things they do not need the least useful.

Forum is only for specific solutions and is a social network for common themes.
    [QUOTE=wolfi323;bt958]
    This sounds like a permissions issue then. Is your user's session listed by "loginctl"?
    See here f.e.: [url]http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/491766-authorization-failed.html[/url]

[QUOTE]
    After my upgrade from openSUSE 12.3 to 13.1 I lost line-in sound, and start-up sound. I disabled Pulseaudio and have line-in now, but still have no start-up sound?
    [/QUOTE]

Startup sound is disabled by default in recent KDE versions.
    You can configure one in "Configure Desktop"->"Application and System Notifications" though.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for that, I'll look in to it. Thanks again. Bob Jankowski
    Updated 12-Jan-2014 at 00:27 by oldcpu (Tried to fix quote syntax)
    Quote Originally Posted by RADJankowski
    The only way I can get Skype to work properly was to run it as root and disable Pulseaudio (did the latency thing too).
    This sounds like a permissions issue then. Is your user's session listed by "loginctl"?
    See here f.e.: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...on-failed.html

After my upgrade from openSUSE 12.3 to 13.1 I lost line-in sound, and start-up sound. I disabled Pulseaudio and have line-in now, but still have no start-up sound?
    Startup sound is disabled by default in recent KDE versions.
    You can configure one in "Configure Desktop"->"Application and System Notifications" though.
    Updated 12-Jan-2014 at 00:32 by oldcpu (Tried to fix quote syntax)
    Hi,

The only way I can get Skype to work properly was to run it as root and disable Pulseaudio (did the latency thing too).

With previous 12.3 openSUSE, boot up sometimes hanged for bit with pulseaudio activated.

Asus P5P43TD with on board Intel Audio ALC887

p.s. this is my first blog so apology’s if it's in the wrong place.
    I note that the latest 13.1 release notes also covers this:

Code:
    5.12. Skype

PulseAudio 4.0 exposes a bug in the current version of Skype for Linux
    (v4.2). Until Skype is fixed and updated, run skype from the command line:

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype

For more information about this bug, see http://arunraghavan.net/2013/08/pulseaudio-4-0-and-skype/.
    My thanks to user wolfi323 for pointing this out to me.
    I installed 13.1 (latest 13.1 opensuse build I was allowed to access) on my Toshiba Z930 ultrabook using the 64-bit installation DVD .iso (copied to a USB stick via imagewriter). Install went smoother than I expected, with only one (also expected) major glitch that was easy to address with the experience I had from the 12.3 install on this same Ultrabook. The previous 12.3 install in fact, likely was a contributing factor in the 13.1 'glitch'.

In the case of 12.3, in order to get this Ultrabook to boot 12.3 (and not a constant windows8 boot) I had to copy the openSUSE /EFI/opensuse directory contents into the /EFI/Boot directory, and copy the shim.efi on top of the bootx64.efi. Prior to installing openSUSE-13.1 (to replace 12.3) I did not restore the bootx64.efi to its original content, but left it as a renamed 12.3 shim.efi. During the first 13.1 re-boot (part way through the install) the Ultrabook booted to a grub prompt with no other boot manager selection (see image below).

where the top line reads:
    Code:
                                                                                      GNU GRUB version 2.00

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB  lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists possible  devices or file completions.

grub>_
    I had thought that might happen, and to me it meant the bootx64.efi (which I believe is called by the Ultrabook's firmware) was in fact a 12.3 shim which possibly was not fully compatible with the 13.1 shim/kernel version ? So rather than mess with grub2, I switched OFF the Ultrabook, removed the Installation USB stick, and rebooted to an openSUSE 13.1 KDE liveDVD .iso (copied to a USB stick). I then mounted the /EFI partition on the Ultrabooks SSD drive and looked at it:

which confirmed that the /EFI/opensuse (dated 17-Nov with different file sizes) was newer than the /EFI/Boot content (dated 6-Nov with different file sizes). So I again copied the openSUSE /EFI/opensuse directory contents into the /EFI/Boot directory, and copy the shim.efi on top of the bootx64.efi. I then shut down the PC. Removed the 13.1 KDE liveDVD USB stick and put the 13.1 64-bit Installation DVD USB stick. I switched on the Ultrabook and it then booted properly and allowed me to continue and complete the Installation.

The remainder was pretty smooth.

I tested sound, the SD card reader, the webcam, the USB ports, the power management (a big improvement on 12.3 on this Ultrabook's hardware), wireless, printing to network printer, scanning from network printer ... and all appears well. I still need to copy some files to this Ultrabook in preparation for my trip to Asia in just under 6-days, but I'm pretty happy with this.

In particular the power management works well. When running on battery, when the Ultrabook recovers from a hibernation the wireless works ok (while on 12.3 the wireless would not work after a recovery from suspend/hibernation).

Many thanks to those on our forum (mainly nrickert) who taught me some of the new UEFI/GPT aspects, as it made what could have been a difficult install, very quick and easy.
    I've been obtaining support from SuSE-GmbH in addressing the power management issues on this Toshiba Z930 Ultrabook , and it has motivated me to look at this in more detail.

I went into the BIOS of my Ultrabook and tuned its power management to allow a resumption from suspension via a key press (in addition to resumption from suspension by pressing the power on/off switch). That appears to have made a difference. This is the setting I changed:

[click on image to obtain larger view]

With this enabled, using the 64-bit openSUSE-13.1-beta-1 liveDVD (KDE) I was able to resume from 3 suspend attempts in a row (with at least 30 minutes in suspend before each of the successful resumption attempts).

I then went back and tested openSUSE-12.3 with the 3.7 kernel, and also openSUSE-12.3 with a SuSE-GmbH produced factory 3.11.1 kernel (for openSUSE-12.3) and the suspension resumption problem is still present with both kernel versions. The 12.3 w/factory 3.11 kernel, when resumed, gives me a KDE error (KDE crash handler) when I select 'Manage connection' in the lower right corner of the KDE desktop under Network management).

However the 13.1-beta-1 (with its 64-bit 3.11.1-1.g1383321-desktop kernel) appears to just work well, and if this functionality is maintained during the 13.1 RC and GM versions, I will be updating to openSUSE-13.1 in November this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeCat
    Howdy - I am trying SUSE or openSUSE as my base OS and putting VirtualBox on that base OS. On that VB I intent to run W7U64b and other Linux OSes (to explore them). Does this makes sense to you? I now know almost nothing about Linux or VB. I do not know where to ask this question that is why I am here. Is there a better place to ask it?:
    freeCat, I recommend you go to our Virtualization forum and ask those questions.
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...irtualization/

I have installed other OS on under VirtualBox on my openSUSE PC and I'm happy with it, but I am no expert. As noted that forum area is a good place to ask.
    I note this Ultrabook , with its SSD-drive, has a 'feel' of being very fast. It has an Intel Core i7-3667U, which is actually slower than my old desktop Intel Core-i7 920. Yet because of the SSD-drive, this Ultra is more responsive than my desktop, and gives 'feel' of a significant speed increase.

Mostly everything (except one power management issue) 'just works'.

I did read the openSUSE-12.3 release notes prior to installing.

I do note with the wireless network, to get it to work the first time I had to work around a known openSUSE-12.3 bug, by sending the command (with root permissions in a terminal/konsole) :

Code:
    systemctl start network.service
    and after that I could use the Network manager to connect to our home WLAN (and later to many other different wlans). That command was only needed once to be sent.

I have used this Ultrabook successfully with Skype, I have driven conference room big projection screens using the VGA connector. And I have carried it to may places as it is only 1.1 kg in weight, which is INCREDIBLY light and also very thin. This is one of the lightest Ultrabooks, and that incredible light weight, coupled with a vast array of interfaces, coupled with very nice openSUSE-12.3 GNU/Linux compatibility makes me happy with it.

It is 'bitten' by one kernel bug where the upstream fix has not yet made it downstream. The Linlap site on the Z930 has various users of many GNU/Linux distributions noting this bug, which occurs when the laptop is recovered from a standby mode using battery power. Closing the lid will suspend the machine once, but then shutdown hangs and one requires a hard power down. In addition both battery management and wireless don't function well when restored from the standby mode using battery power. Using AC power the problem does not exist from what I have experienced.

Purportedly, the problem has bin fixed in ACPICA, but while upstream it has not yet made it into the openSUSE distribution kernel. EDIT: I wrote openSUSE 830475 bug report to see if I can have this fix adopted earlier in the openSUSE distribution. This is a link to ACPICA patch, for reference:

https://github.com/acpica/acpica/com...b24947cfe1fb6a

And finally here is the output of 'inxi -F' which gives a good flavour as to what I have running currently on this Ultrabook:
    Code:
    System:    Host: toshiba.darmstadt Kernel: 3.7.10-1.16-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
               Desktop KDE 4.10.5 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
    Machine:   System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite Z930 version: PT23LC-01300D
               Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Satellite Z930 version: Version A0 Bios: TOSHIBA version: Version 6.70 date: 04/04/2013
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-3667U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 775.00 MHz 2: 775.00 MHz 3: 775.00 MHz 4: 2001.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller X.Org: 1.13.2 driver: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.2hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.2
    Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-1.16-desktop
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
               IF: eth0 state: down speed: 4294967295 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: e8:e0:b7:73:c3:68
               Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 driver: iwlwifi 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 84:a6:c8:ad:ba:4c
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (24.9% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_THNSNF25 256.1GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 7.4G (32%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 126G used: 11G (9%) fs: ext4 
               ID: /var size: 15G used: 1.4G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.71GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 16.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 152 Uptime: 1:14 Memory: 457.7/5874.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24
    Updated 23-Jul-2013 at 00:56 by oldcpu (updated to include reference to wireless work around applied)
    Howdy - I am trying SUSE or openSUSE as my base OS and putting VirtualBox on that base OS. On that VB I intent to run W7U64b and other Linux OSes (to explore them). Does this makes sense to you? I now know almost nothing about Linux or VB. I do not know where to ask this question that is why I am here. Is there a better place to ask it?:
    Malcolmlewis was also kind enough to package gImageReader for openSUSE-12.3.

openSUSE-12.3

For information, to setup gImageReader to read/OCR German and French in opnSUSE-12.3, I followed the guide above, but instead for 12.3 modified it to (as root) using the following repositories/commands:

Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Lazy_Kent/openSUSE_12.3/ kent-ocr
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_12.3/ malcolm
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vodoo/openSUSE_12.3/ vodoo-ocr
    followed by

Code:
    zypper in tesseract tesseract-traineddata-deu tesseract-traineddata-eng tesseract-traineddata-fra python-gimagereader python-imaging
    and then removed the repositories that I added during the install:
    Code:
    zypper rr malcolm
    zypper rr kent-ocr
    zypper rr vodoo-ocr

and then typed (as a regular user):
    Code:
    gimagereader
    and performed an OCR test with a scanned French language page.

Note the above repositories that I used are not official repositories, but rather private repositories of various individuals. The rpms that are on those repositories, while present today, may not be present tomorrow.
    Updated 08-Apr-2016 at 11:25 by oldcpu
    I want to thank you for all your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_world10
    after installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.84.run driver The GDM login screen is text based and startx yields errors.

I hope I did not write this in the wrong spot.

Thank you for all your help with filing the bug report.
    This is a blog - not a help thread. I recommend you stick with the help threads you have already started. Do NOT forget to add your regular user to group 'video' like I recommended in those help threads.
    after installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.84.run driver The GDM login screen is text based and startx yields errors.

I hope I did not write this in the wrong spot.

Thank you for all your help with filing the bug report.
    > Since the nouveau graphic driver for the NV34 is broken or all GNU/Linux distros with the 3.7.x or
    > newer kernels (as documented in this thread ) it means any booting of a PC with the
    > nvidia NV34 hardware (such FX500) needs to be done with either the VESA driver, or
    > the 'nv' graphic driver, or the proprietary nvidia driver.

Much to my pleasant surprise, a 3.7.x test kernel has been proposed for openSUSE-12.3 in response to the openSUSE bug report that I raised on the nouveau driver in use in openSUSE-12.3. I installed that test kernel and the nouveau driver embedded in that kernel version worked with the 3.7.x kernel in openSUSE-12.3 on my FX5200 graphic hardware. Note in addition to the openSUSE bug report on the 3.7.x kernel on FX5200 hardware I also raised a upstream bug report on the 3.7.x kernel on FX5200 hardare.

I am very pleased to note the progress being made to address this problem and it re-inforces in my mind the need to write a bug report. Such bug reports do not always result in success, but often they do and for such complex driver issues they are often the only way to move forward.

To re-iterate, IMHO (which is MY view and not an official view) to NOT write a bug report is doing a MAJOR disservice to the users of a free open source operating system such as openSUSE GNU/Linux.
    I have followed the above should I compile my kernal at some point?
    No you should not.

Why is 1 click nvidia a lie?
    I am not a 1 click user. But I can say one click is not a lie. I sense frustration.

I am let down at this point
    Sorry to read that.

Edit ... I read here: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...problem-2.html that you were eventually able to work around the problem and install the nvidia driver. I am happy to read that.
    Updated 17-Mar-2013 at 02:43 by oldcpu
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast