Blog Comments

[QUOTE=promeneur;bt923]hello i test 13.1b1

i follow you procedure (i didn't use the script) to create and run a service to execute after.local

with yast tool i can see that the service is well created in "enable,active" state
    but
    when pc starts the after.local script is not executed

local script contains commands to suspend all usb devices

with powertop i can see the usb devices are not suspended

if i execute manualy after.local
    then
    with powertop i can see all the usb devices are suspended

thanks[/QUOTE]

same problem here, opensuse 13.2. Any solutions ?
    [QUOTE=isusogdus;bt1029]Well, the question above says it all! All that I'd like to know, for the present, in any case.

What say, James, are you up to a Samba4 tweak (v.1.21?) for the sake us lesser souls?

Thx![/QUOTE]

Me again, somehow (how?!) the title got sacked! Here it is:

"Yeah, has S.A.C.T. v.1.20 been tweaked for openSUSE 13.1/ Samba4?"

Thanks again, James, in advance, just in case you have a version 1.21 in mind!
    Well, the question above says it all! All that I'd like to know, for the present, in any case.

What say, James, are you up to a Samba4 tweak (v.1.21?) for the sake us lesser souls?

Thx!
    It would be nice to be able to figure out with v1.0/v1.2 gstreamer packages installed, whether and which 0_10 packages are also necessary. The script seems to treat them all as one homogenous group. For several years I've been getting no sound from SMPlayer, and neither video nor sound from VLC, from mpeg4/h264 .ts files created by one of my DVB STBs. I sure would like to get them to play on a PC running 13.1 before the STB expires.
    Hi, JD:

If you wish to post actual screenshots here (or when you do a future install tutorial), I have copied this from some other forum member and have used it myself a few times. I would provide the link instead, but I no longer have that at my disposal.

INSTALLATION SCREENSHOTS:

Mount filesystem

You need access to some kind of filesystem to be able to save the screenshots - if you plan to format your entire harddisk during installation it's not recommended to use this filesystem of course. This example uses a floppy disk, you can use any filesystem however, i.e. usb-key, harddisk partition that will not be overwritten or others.

When the YaST graphical installer starts, press Ctrl + Alt + F2 - this will provide you with a root terminal.

If device is ext (Linux), Enter the following command:
    mount /dev/sdx /media/

If device is vfat (FAT32), Enter the following command:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdX /media/

If device is NTFS, Enter the following command:
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdX /media/

Note: You need to replace /dev/sdx to match the filesystem you want to mount

Your flash disk might be sdb. you can check it out using "fdisk -l" command, then judge by size, or mount them one by one, "cd" into them, judge by checking files inside using "ls" command.

Note:Most of our flash disks are formated by Microsoft's NTFS or FAT partition format instead of Linux partition formats, so the mount command you may use in reality is: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/fdX /media/ (NTFS) or mount -t vfat /dev/fdX /media/ (FAT32); and the mount point isn't /dev/fdX either(floppy disk is 1990s). Here's the simple Linux rule: floppy is prefixed by fd*;CD/DVD-ROM is prefixed by sr*, so if you use a writable CD it'll be sr0(not possible unless you install using USB, or sr0 will be your openSUSE DVD!);Harddisk is prefixed by sd*, so your local partition wanna use might be sda2 and your flash disk might be sdb. you can check it out using "fdisk -l" command, then judge by size, or mount them one by one, "cd" into them, judge by checking files inside using "ls" command.

Press Ctrl + Alt + F7 to return to the graphical installer.

Make the screenshots

Now all you have to do is press Print Screen.

A file dialog will appear asking you where to save the screenshot - save it to the location where you mounted the filesystem - in this case /media/

You will have to navigate to that location (in this case /media/) for each screenshot and only the active window is captured.

During the Package Installation part of installation you're only allowed to make screenshots if certain objects are in focus - hit Tab and Print Screen alternately a couple of times and you should be all right.

The screenshots are saved in PNG format.

Unmount the filesystem

When you're done taking screenshots or before ending the installation you should unmount the filesystem to ensure all data is actually written to the filesystem.

Hit Ctrl+ Alt+ F2 to go to the virtual terminal. Enter the following command:
    umount /media/

Notice that you cannot unmount the directory you're currently located in - so if you're in /media/ use the command cd to navigate to some other location before unmounting.
    [QUOTE=DonMLewis;bt999]James, I ran your SACT script to get Samba going which ran to completion without any hiccup's. I then ran the desktop SMB icon which opened Dolphin and asked for credentials for WORKGROUP. I tried my user credentials which didn't take (the dialog restarted) so I went to yast, looked at the Samba Server/User Information Services which pointed to the TDB database. I ran pdbedit -L which listed only root as a user, so I added my userid/password to the database but still can't get past the login screen. What am I missing?

My goal is to be able to share files/folders with a Mac OSX machine.

A couple of notes about sact:

The first time I ran it, it installed the documentation. When I reran it, it said the documentation was not installed but the installation process said it was already installed.

When the dialog asked for the workgroup name, I had to type in something, hitting enter to take the default did not work.[/QUOTE]
    Don
    Are you running Samba 3 (12.3) or Samba4 (13.1)? I was about to try SACT, but it was unclear if it had been tweaked for Samba4
    Great tutorial, thinking of installing opensuse on my 32 gig flash drive, as i learn my way round it.
    James, I ran your SACT script to get Samba going which ran to completion without any hiccup's. I then ran the desktop SMB icon which opened Dolphin and asked for credentials for WORKGROUP. I tried my user credentials which didn't take (the dialog restarted) so I went to yast, looked at the Samba Server/User Information Services which pointed to the TDB database. I ran pdbedit -L which listed only root as a user, so I added my userid/password to the database but still can't get past the login screen. What am I missing?

My goal is to be able to share files/folders with a Mac OSX machine.

A couple of notes about sact:

The first time I ran it, it installed the documentation. When I reran it, it said the documentation was not installed but the installation process said it was already installed.

When the dialog asked for the workgroup name, I had to type in something, hitting enter to take the default did not work.
    I found the solution. Following the instructions, I created mmcheck in home/(username)/bin, but didn't make it executable with ...

chmod +x ~/bin/mmcheck

After I did so, it worked like a charm! It's a new-to-Linux/OpenSUSE mistake ... following instructions like a recipe, without fully appreciating the commands you're executing (or forgetting to execute).

James, thank you so much for creating and sharing this script!!! I'm sure you've saved untold numbers of people from running around in circles, trying to optimize the multimedia aspects of OpenSUSE.

Works great with OpenSUSE 13.1.
    Hi, James!

I followed your instructions. mmcheck is in my /home/met/bin folder.

As a regular user, I ran mmcheck. Bash reported ...

bash: /home/met/bin/mmcheck: Permission denied

I switched to su, and Bash reported ...

bash: /home/met/bin/mmcheck: Permission denied

Am I missing something? I am running OpenSUSE 13.1.
    [QUOTE=gmesser57;bt963]Thanks! I had left off the checkbox to copy to the MBR and my first attempt didn't boot. Now it boots fast off an external drive connected to USB 3.0. I feel like I owe you a beer!

Greg[/QUOTE]

I am very happy to hear of your success. The beer sounds good should you ever make it to Austin, Texas. But really I do this because I enjoy helping others and you learn the subject even better.

Thank You,
    Thanks! I had left off the checkbox to copy to the MBR and my first attempt didn't boot. Now it boots fast off an external drive connected to USB 3.0. I feel like I owe you a beer!

Greg
    [LIST][*][B]nVIDIA Driver 331.20 has been released[/B][*]Added support for NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture (NvFBCOpenGL). This library provides a high performance, low latency interface to capture and optionally encode the composited framebuffer of an X screen. NvFBC and NvIFR are private APIs that are only available to approved partners for use in remote graphics scenarios. Please contact NVIDIA at [email]GRIDteam@nvidia.com[/email] for more information.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented configuration files containing application profiles from being loaded when directories were present in the application profile configuration search path.[*]Deferred initialization of libselinux in the NVIDIA OpenGL driver, in order to avoid a problem where libselinux might not be ready when the NVIDIA libGL shared library is first loaded.[*]Fixed a bug that could lead to memory exhaustion in OpenGL applications running on 32-bit systems.[*]Added nvidia-uvm.ko, the NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module, to the NVIDIA Linux driver package. This kernel module provides support for the new Unified Memory feature in an upcoming CUDA release.[*]Fixed a bug that caused the X server to fail to initialize when DisplayPort 1.2 monitors were assigned to separate X screens on the same GPU.[*]Fixed a bug that could cause a deadlock when forking from OpenGL programs which use some malloc implementations, such as TCMalloc.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented Warp & Blend settings from being retained across display configuration changes.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented some settings changes made via the nvidia-settings command line interface from being reflected in the nvidia-settings graphical user interface.[*]Changed the clipping behavior of the NVIDIA X driver on Trapezoids and Triangles for some RENDER operations to match the behavior in newer versions of Pixman:
    [url=http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pixman/2013-April/002755.html][Pixman] Issue observed with Pixman 0.28.0 series[/url][*]Fixed a bug in MetaMode tracking that could cause spurious error messages to be printed when attempting to add or delete Metamodes via NV-CONTROL.[*]Fixed a bug that caused the NVIDIA X driver to attempt to load the X11 "shadow" module unconditionally, even in situations where the driver had no need to use the module. This could result in the printing of spurious error messages, on X servers where the module was not present.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented display configuration changes made with xvidtune(1) from working correctly.[*]Fixed a bug that occasionally caused display corruption in GLX applications while changing the display configuration.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented glReadPixels from working correctly when reading from Pixel Buffer Objects over indirect rendering, when the image width is not a multiple of 4.[*]Added a new NV-CONTROL attribute, NV_CTRL_BACKLIGHT_BRIGHTNESS, for controlling backlight brightness.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented nvidia-settings from creating display device configuration pages for newly connected DisplayPort 1.2 Multi Stream Transport downstream devices.[*]Added GPU utilization reporting to the nvidia-settings control panel.[*]Fixed a bug in the nvidia-settings control panel that prevented users from configuring stereo, when stereo was not already configured.[*]Added support for reporting the tachometer-measured fan speed on capable graphics boards via nvidia-settings and the NV-CONTROL API. The preexisting mechanism for reporting fan speed reports the speed of the fan as programmed by the driver.
    For example, `nvidia-settings --query=[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeedRPM`.[*]Fixed a regression that caused GPUs that do not support graphics to not appear in nvidia-settings.[*]Fixed a bug that caused DisplayPort 1.2 multi-stream devices to stop working if they were unplugged and plugged back in while they were active in the current MetaMode.[*]Added support for multiple NVIDIA kernel modules. This feature allows users to assign different GPUs in the system to different NVIDIA kernel modules, potentially reducing the software overhead of coordinating access to multiple GPUs.[*]Added support for the EGL API on 32-bit platforms. Currently, the supported client APIs are OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0, and the only supported window system backend is X11.[*]Add a new option, AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration, which allows the X server to start even if no connected display devices are detected at startup. This option can be enabled by running "sudo nvidia-xconfig --allow-empty-initial-configuration"
    This option is useful in RandR 1.4 display offload configurations where no display devices are connected to the NVIDIA GPU when the X server is started, but might be connected later.[*]Updated nvidia-installer to provide a scrollable text area for displaying messages from the /usr/lib/nvidia/alternate-install-present and /usr/lib/nvidia/alternate-install-available distro hook files. This allows for longer messages to be provided in these files.[*]Updated nvidia-installer to avoid recursing into the per-kernel "build" and "source" directories when searching for conflicting kernel modules in /lib/modules.[*]Added a system memory cache to improve the performance of certain X rendering operations that use software rendering fallbacks. The X configuration option "SoftwareRenderCacheSize" may be used to configure the size of the cache.[*]Removed the "DynamicTwinView" X configuration option: dynamic reconfiguration of displays is always possible, and can no longer be disabled.[*]Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-settings to display incorrect information in its display configuration page when all displays on an X screen were turned off.[*]Updated nvidia-installer to only install the libraries libvdpau and libvdpau_trace if an existing installation of libvdpau is not detected on the system. This behavior can be overridden with the --install-vdpau-wrapper and --no-install-vdpau-wrapper options.
    Future NVIDIA Linux installer packages will no longer include copies of libvdpau or libvdpau_trace: VDPAU users are recommended to install these libraries via other means, e.g. from packages provided by their distributors, or by building them from the sources available at: [URL="http://people.freedesktop.org/%7Eaplattner/vdpau/"]http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/vdpau/[/URL][/LIST]

Thank You,
    [QUOTE=germanix;bt938]Great Blog and very usefull information. I am totally new to openSuse and KDE but have been using Linux as sole OS since 2008. Mostly Xubuntu (Xfce) or Mint (Cinnamon). Have now for the first time discovered KDE and love it. Tried Kubuntu and Mint KDE and then a friend suggested openSuse. Only been using it for a couple of days but aim to stay. Thank you for doing this Blog. Most articles are somewhat above my pay grade at the moment but I will sure reviset this Blog to learn.[/QUOTE]

I am happy you approve. Do look at my many bash scripts as they can do lots of useful things. openSUSE is my first choice, but I often suggest Linux Mint to new users.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Thank You,
    Great Blog and very usefull information. I am totally new to openSuse and KDE but have been using Linux as sole OS since 2008. Mostly Xubuntu (Xfce) or Mint (Cinnamon). Have now for the first time discovered KDE and love it. Tried Kubuntu and Mint KDE and then a friend suggested openSuse. Only been using it for a couple of days but aim to stay. Thank you for doing this Blog. Most articles are somewhat above my pay grade at the moment but I will sure reviset this Blog to learn.
    nVIDIA driver version 319.60 Has Been Released

Added support for the following GPU:

GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM

Fixed a bug that could cause OpenGL applications to crash during the initialization of new threads.
    Fixed a bug that caused the GPU and Memory clock frequencies for some PowerMizer performance levels on Kepler boards to be reported incorrectly in the nvidia-settings control panel.
    Fixed a bug that caused the X server to fail to start on certain laptops when the boot display was on an external DisplayPort monitor, for example if the laptop was booted while the lid was closed.
    Fixed a bug in nvidia-installer that caused the 32-bit libGL.la libtool library file to be installed to the wrong location.
    hello i test 13.1b1

i follow you procedure (i didn't use the script) to create and run a service to execute after.local

with yast tool i can see that the service is well created in "enable,active" state
    but
    when pc starts the after.local script is not executed

local script contains commands to suspend all usb devices

with powertop i can see the usb devices are not suspended

if i execute manualy after.local
    then
    with powertop i can see all the usb devices are suspended

thanks
    [QUOTE=freebg;bt918]Is it possible to use your script to install NVIDIA driver on GeForce2 MX/MX 400?
    Kernel: 3.4.47-2.38.1
    KDE: 3.5.10

lspci -v

03:02.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Expansion ROM at fe6f0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau[/QUOTE]

I you can install the driver manually, the script should work. If you are not sure, you might start off with the more simple script lnvhw which can be fore at the following link. The card you mention is old and so I just can't say for sure.

[URL="http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/lnvhw-load-nvidia-driver-hard-way-runlevel-3-version-1-10-32/"]LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums[/URL]

Thank You,
    Is it possible to use your script to install NVIDIA driver on GeForce2 MX/MX 400?
    Kernel: 3.4.47-2.38.1
    KDE: 3.5.10

lspci -v

03:02.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Expansion ROM at fe6f0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    [QUOTE=keoshy;bt916]"unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename"
    I get this error when I run SANDI script
    I am using OpenSUSE 12.2 (I tryed also 12.3 but it doesn't works) and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.23-pkg1
    someone can help me.
    thanks..[/QUOTE]

nVIDIA driver 96.43.23 is kind of old and may not support dkms. Have you looked at this script: [URL="http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/lnvhw-load-nvidia-driver-hard-way-runlevel-3-version-1-10-32/"]LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums[/URL] and what nVIDIA video chipset do you have?

Thank You,
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast