Blog Comments

[QUOTE=spmaster;bt659]Hi and thanks for your response.

I already tried /home/spmaster/Downloads - the same result.
    I even tried to put the drivers in /usr/local/bin/

spmaster@sac:~> ls /home/spmaster/Downloads/
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32.bin NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-313.18.bin

its a kind of magic[/QUOTE]

If this was me, I would download sandi again using this command:

[CODE]sudo rm /usr/local/bin/sandi ; sudo wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/53816310 -O /usr/local/bin/sandi ; sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/sandi[/CODE]

I would then download this bash script and use it to edit sandi:

[CODE]sudo rm /usr/local/bin/sysedit ; sudo wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/88360942 -O /usr/local/bin/sysedit ; sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/sysedit[/CODE]

Then in Terminal run the command:

[CODE]sysedit[/CODE]

Then see what you get after you edit the sandi script again. Most often errors that make no sense happens due to a corruption in the bash script. Lets try again and then get back with me.

Thank You,
    Hi and thanks for your response.

I already tried /home/spmaster/Downloads - the same result.
    I even tried to put the drivers in /usr/local/bin/ :(

spmaster@sac:~> ls /home/spmaster/Downloads/
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32.bin NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-313.18.bin

its a kind of magic
    [QUOTE=spmaster;bt657]Hi!
    Need help!
    I'm trying to use sandy on tumbleweed with NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-313.18 / 310.32 and 3.7.7-24-desktop. Always get the message "No nVIDIA Driver Files were found".
    nVidia_folder="/home/spmaster/nvidia"
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thx![/QUOTE]

So Normally, the default would be /home/yourname/Downloads and so either 1) No nVIDIA proprietary video driver files are being downloaded to "/home/spmaster/nvidia", which is normally true as the Downloads folders is where they would go OR 2) SANDI does not like looking in a folder called nvidia for files that start with NVIDIA, but I am not sure about that. Since Downloads is the default download folder, why not set the nVidia_folder="/home/spmaster/Downloads"? And of course, I assume your user is called spmaster? Do you really keep or move your nVIDIA driver files to "/home/spmaster/nvidia"? Consider that SANDI can be particular with where she wants to put her things.

Thank You,
    Hi!
    Need help!
    I'm trying to use sandy on tumbleweed with NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-313.18 / 310.32 and 3.7.7-24-desktop. Always get the message "No nVIDIA Driver Files were found".
    nVidia_folder="/home/spmaster/nvidia"
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thx!
    [QUOTE=jdmcdaniel3;bt643]Copy this line, open up terminal, paste it in and press the enter key:

[CODE]rm ~/bin/make-after-local ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/15931498 -O ~/bin/make-after-local ; chmod +x ~/bin/make-after-local ; make-after-local[/CODE]

This line will ...

1. Remove ~/bin/make-after-local should it exist
    2. Download ~/bin/make-after-local from SuSE Paste
    3. Set ~/bin/make-after-local Executable
    4. Run ~/bin/make-after-local

You must enter the root password once to copy the system files when ~/bin/make-after-local is run.

Thank You,[/QUOTE]

Thanx buddy. Realy really appreciate all the effort you are putting into this ...
    [LIST][*]NVIDIA Version 310.32 Proprietary Video Driver Release Highlights [*]Added support for the following GPUs:
    [LIST][*]GeForce GTX 680MX
    Tesla K20Xm [/LIST]
    [*]Fixed a bug when enabling framelock between displays connected to the same GPU as other displays with different refresh rates, which caused the latter to be incorrectly assigned to the framelock group. [*]Updated the reporting of HDMI 3D framerates and pixel clocks to be more consistent with how they are reported by HDMI 3D displays. [*]Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented rotation controls in the nvidia-settings control panel from working after changing resolutions. [*]Fixed a bug that could cause applications using GL_NV_vdpau_interop to crash during modeswitches. [*]Fixed a regression that could cause OpenGL applications to crash while compiling shaders. [*]Added a kernel module parameter, "NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3", which can be used to enable PCIe gen 3 when possible. Note that on many systems where the NVIDIA driver does not allow PCIe gen 3 by default, stability problems can be expected when this option is enabled: users should do so at their own risk. [*]Fixed a VDPAU bug that could cause the X server to hang when decoding some corrupted video streams. [*]Renamed VGX products to GRID products in the "Supported NVIDIA GPU Products" list. [*]Added support for X.org xserver ABI 14 (xorg-server 1.14). [*]Fixed a bug in nvidia-settings that could cause the wrong resolution to be set in basic mode for setups based on one display per X screen. [*]Fixed libnvidia-encode.so library dependency by linking it with libnvcuvid.so.1 instead of libnvcuvid.so while creating it. [*]Improved performance of OpenGL framebuffer object binds with Xinerama enabled by 2000-3000% when the application's windows do not span screen boundaries. [*]Fix performance issues when using some versions of HyperMesh with Quadro GPUs. [/LIST]

Thank You,
    Copy this line, open up terminal, paste it in and press the enter key:

[CODE]rm ~/bin/make-after-local ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/15931498 -O ~/bin/make-after-local ; chmod +x ~/bin/make-after-local ; make-after-local[/CODE]

This line will ...

1. Remove ~/bin/make-after-local should it exist
    2. Download ~/bin/make-after-local from SuSE Paste
    3. Set ~/bin/make-after-local Executable
    4. Run ~/bin/make-after-local

You must enter the root password once to copy the system files when ~/bin/make-after-local is run.

Thank You,
    [QUOTE=kresh;bt287]Thank you so much. This removed the final barrier that was keeping me from upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

This was well written with clear instructions. Outstanding![/QUOTE]

I had this error;

# make-after-local
    If 'make-after-local' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
    cnf make-after-local
    http://arcierisinasce.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/after-local-opensuse-12-1/
    [QUOTE=lovetoflyguy;bt616]Hi James, Thanks for your response.

OK, to make a short story long... I've had an openSUSE (was 10.3, ... 11.4) fileserver for quite a while, and I was happy enough with the Nvidia mx4000 that I originally built it with. Recently however, we decided to cancel our cable TV subscription as it cost way more than it was worth, so I decided to add the role of media server (XBMC 11.0) to my existing fileserver, which I would then hook up to our existing TV cable network (via S-video out through a RF modulator to coax). I soon confirmed my suspicion that I would need to upgrade the video card for XBMC to be usable, so I bought a cheap (~$12) GeForce 6200 AGP on Ebay, and proceeded to open the case...

Two days later, I had it back up & running with oS 12.2 and all of my samba shares restored. Unfortunately, the nouveau driver doesn't seem able to cope with the increased video demands of the XBMC platform, so I tried to install the Nvidia driver. First I tried the 'easy' method (1-click) which didn't work. I followed the subsequent directions to reinstall the driver in runlevel 3 through YaST (x11-video-nvidiaG02) but that didn't work either.

Suffering from utter frustration, I came across your blog and decided to try it one more time. Your LNVHW script worked perfectly, and within a few minutes I was running the Nvidia 304.64 driver! To answer your question about the version I used, as near as I can tell the 304.64 is the latest version to support my GeForce 6200 AGP. Disaster struck when I connected the s-video cable, resulting in a system which can only be booted to the desktop in failsafe mode. This is my current predicament. Perhaps i made a mistake by not having the s-video cable connected to a TV when I installed the driver?

Great minds must think alike, because I have always set up my Linux rigs with / on a separate hdd, just in case something goes sideways and I need to reinstall. I also take great care to screenshot just about all of my specific config settings (network, samba, etc) before I proceed, thus minimizing headaches.

Thanks for your excellent and very clear instructions to restore the default driver - I could probably just about manage it! At this point, I've edited/replaced so many different config files trying to get back to nouveau, that I'm probably better off just reinstalling, which as you said will be fairly painless for me as I'm already prepared!

Sorry for being so long winded, I just wanted to explain what I'm trying to do as thoroughly as possible. My one remaining question involves the s-video output to TV; did I screw up by not having a TV connected when I ran LNVHW, or is there something else that would cause the Nvidia driver act up?

I would welcome any suggestions you may have!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

So I do recall having such issues trying to get s-video to work in that time frame of AGP cards. Niether the video cards nor the TV's worked all that well. When VGA on a TV become common and video cards supported two connections, I have never looked back sense. Since TV s-video is an analog device, it does need to be connected to be detected and even then on some video cards, you had to select a TV was there because it could not be detected. I am not sure that this should cause the whole setup to blow up, but having problems with s-video connections is not a new issue. Unfortunately, I was a Windows user back then when I was using such equipement, but it did not work all that well. I recall having problems with overscan (where the picture goes over all four edges of the TV screen), linearity issues and the inability to read even 80 charater across text on the TV screen. Of course, playing a movie is less of a problem, if you can get a picture at all. So do indeed connect, power up and select s-video on the TV to see if that helps during the install and video detection of openSUSE. Anytime you are going with the built-in open source video driver, the newer the kernel, the newer the video driver.

Thank You,
    Hi James, Thanks for your response.

OK, to make a short story long... I've had an openSUSE (was 10.3, ... 11.4) fileserver for quite a while, and I was happy enough with the Nvidia mx4000 that I originally built it with. Recently however, we decided to cancel our cable TV subscription as it cost way more than it was worth, so I decided to add the role of media server (XBMC 11.0) to my existing fileserver, which I would then hook up to our existing TV cable network (via S-video out through a RF modulator to coax). I soon confirmed my suspicion that I would need to upgrade the video card for XBMC to be usable, so I bought a cheap (~$12) GeForce 6200 AGP on Ebay, and proceeded to open the case...

Two days later, I had it back up & running with oS 12.2 and all of my samba shares restored. Unfortunately, the nouveau driver doesn't seem able to cope with the increased video demands of the XBMC platform, so I tried to install the Nvidia driver. First I tried the 'easy' method (1-click) which didn't work. I followed the subsequent directions to reinstall the driver in runlevel 3 through YaST (x11-video-nvidiaG02) but that didn't work either.

Suffering from utter frustration, I came across your blog and decided to try it one more time. Your LNVHW script worked perfectly, and within a few minutes I was running the Nvidia 304.64 driver! To answer your question about the version I used, as near as I can tell the 304.64 is the latest version to support my GeForce 6200 AGP. Disaster struck when I connected the s-video cable, resulting in a system which can only be booted to the desktop in failsafe mode. This is my current predicament. Perhaps i made a mistake by not having the s-video cable connected to a TV when I installed the driver?

Great minds must think alike, because I have always set up my Linux rigs with / on a separate hdd, just in case something goes sideways and I need to reinstall. I also take great care to screenshot just about all of my specific config settings (network, samba, etc) before I proceed, thus minimizing headaches. :)

Thanks for your excellent and very clear instructions to restore the default driver - I could probably just about manage it! At this point, I've edited/replaced so many different config files trying to get back to nouveau, that I'm probably better off just reinstalling, which as you said will be fairly painless for me as I'm already prepared!

Sorry for being so long winded, I just wanted to explain what I'm trying to do as thoroughly as possible. My one remaining question involves the s-video output to TV; did I screw up by not having a TV connected when I ran LNVHW, or is there something else that would cause the Nvidia driver act up?

I would welcome any suggestions you may have!

Thanks!
    [QUOTE=lovetoflyguy;bt614]Hi James,

First of all, thank you for sharing your scripts and expertise!

I have a few questions for you.

1. Does the 304.64 driver require a patch to work with SANDI and the current (oS 12.2) 3.4.x kernel?

2. Which is the 'best' or preferred method to install the Nvidia driver (with as little pain as possible!) - LNVHW or SANDI?

3. In the event that I completely bork the driver install and want to start from scratch again, how do I restore the default nouveau driver?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You are very welcome and happy you are finding my bash scripts useful. Now the nVIDIA driver is up to 310.19 so I would want to know why you want to use 304.64? As for SANDI and LNVHW, they have the same install options for the nVIDIA driver, but SANDI works only if you compile your own kernels, such as can be done with my SAKC script and you have installed dkms to auto load the nVIDIA driver when you update your kernel. If this last sentence makes you ask WHAT? Then stick with LNVHW as it works with all kernel versions as long as you have installed the suggested kernel source files. You just have to reinstall the nVIDIA driver on each kernel version update. As luck would have it, you don't get those all that often normally. Going back to using the nouveau driver can be tricky. You must do the following.

1. Remove the nomodeset kernel load option from your Grub2/grub menu files.
    2. You must make sure the sysconfig value of NO_KMS_INITRD=NO
    3. Must remove any nouveau blacklist commands.
    4. Must uninstall the nVIDIA driver, perhaps you do this first.
    5. Must make all changes in Runlevel 3 with no UI loaded.
    6. Make sure console tools are loaded perhaps and make sure you can use the terminal program mc (Midnight Commander).
    7. Might want to delete the xorg.cong file if it exists with any nvidia stuff wrote to it. This file is not required.

So I can admit to just reinstalling openSUSE before to switch to nouveau, particularly if any other issues might exist. I always do a custom partition, reuse all existing ones, I format root /, only mount /home and keep all personnel settings and must reload all applications and redo system settings. This sounds like a lot, but in just two nights I can have my system up and running just as before. I keep a copy of such files as the fstab file, make a screen capture of the partitioner so I know what I called each partition and my samba.conf file and of course, I write scripts to automate as many things as I can like setting up SAMBA. In the end, it can even be fun, but for some it sounds like torture.

What I can say is that the open source nVIDIA driver nouveau works better than I have ever seen before in kernel 3.6 and I would give it a try before I switched to the nVIDIA proprietary driver. Once I loaded the nVIDIA driver, I would likely stick with it unless something blew up and not downgrade back to the nouveau driver. Keep good backups of system files and try to never reformat your /home area and of course backup any irreplaceable files.

Thank You,
    Updated 07-Dec-2012 at 19:15 by jdmcdaniel3
    Hi James,

First of all, thank you for sharing your scripts and expertise!

I have a few questions for you.

1. Does the 304.64 driver require a patch to work with SANDI and the current (oS 12.2) 3.4.x kernel?

2. Which is the 'best' or preferred method to install the Nvidia driver (with as little pain as possible!) - LNVHW or SANDI?

3. In the event that I completely bork the driver install and want to start from scratch again, how do I restore the default nouveau driver?

Thanks!
    NVIDIA Version 310.19 Proprietary Video Driver Release Highlights

Added support for OpenGL 4.3.
    Added a new X configuration option, "UseHotplugEvents", to allow the suppression of RandR events when adding or removing non-DisplayPort displays. See the "X Config Options" appendix of the README for details.
    Added support for configuring stereo in nvidia-settings when stereo is enabled in the X configuration file.
    Added support for configuring the ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut for display devices in nvidia-settings.
    Fixed metamode bookkeeping when modifying the display configuration in the "X Server Display Configuration" page of nvidia-settings.
    Added support for configuring rotation and reflection per display device in nvidia-settings.
    Implemented workarounds for two Adobe Flash bugs by applying libvdpau commit ca9e637c61e80145f0625a590c91429db67d0a40 to the version of libvdpau shipped with the NVIDIA driver.
    Fixed an issue which affected the performance of moving windows of VDPAU applications when run in some composite managers.
    Added unofficial GLX protocol support (i.e., for GLX indirect rendering) for the GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object OpenGL extension.
    Added support for HDMI 3D Stereo with Quadro Kepler and later GPUs. See the documentation for the "Stereo" X configuration option in the README for details.
    Added experimental support for OpenGL threaded optimizations, available through the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS environment variable. For more information, please refer to the "Threaded Optimizations" section in chapter "Specifying OpenGL Environment Variable Settings" of the README.
    Improved performance and responsiveness of windowed OpenGL applications running inside a Unity session.
    nVIDIA Linux Proprietary Video Driver version 304.64 has been released

Added support for the following GPUs:
    VGX K1
    VGX K2
    Fixed a regression in backlight control functionality on some notebook configurations.
    Fixed a performance issue with recent Linux kernels when allocating and freeing system memory.
    Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the display device / X screen selection menu from being displayed in nvidia-settings.
    Fixed a bug that prevented X driver gamma manipulation from working after a VT-switch on some configurations.
    Added the option "--output-file" to nvidia-bug-report.sh to allow specifying a custom filename for the log file.
    Fixed a hang when using OpenGL programs with some SLI Mosaic configurations on pre-Fermi GPUs.
    Added sections to the "Supported NVIDIA GPU Products" list for NVS, Tesla, and VGX products.
    NVIDIA Driver 304.60 has been released

[LIST][*]Fixed a bug that caused the X server to crash if a display was put into DPMS off mode and subsequently reenabled while screen transformations are in use.[*]Fixed a bug that caused the X Resize and Rotate extension to be enabled when Xinerama is enabled. These two X extensions are incompatible and having them both enabled can confuse window managers such as KDE's kwin. RandR is now correctly disabled when Xinerama is enabled.[*]Fixed a bug causing OpenGL stereo applications to not work properly when using passive stereo modes 5 through 9 on Quadro Fermi and newer GPUs.[*]Updated nvidia-settings to report Dedicated GPU Memory (i.e., the memory dedicated exclusively to the GPU) and Total GPU Memory (i.e., Dedicated GPU Memory plus any TurboCache(TM)-accessible system memory) separately on the GPU information page.[*]Added reporting of the current utilization of Dedicated GPU Memory to the GPU information page of nvidia-settings.[*]Added support for the "Backlight" RandR output property for configuring the brightness of some notebook internal panels.[*]Fixed a bug that prevented the Ubuntu Unity launcher panel from unhiding: [url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1057000[/url][*]Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-installer to sometimes attempt to write a log file in a nonexistent directory.[*]Fixed a bug that caused incorrect input transformation after resizing an NVIDIA X screen with xserver ABI 12 (xorg-server 1.12) or newer.[*]Fixed a bug that caused GLX to leak memory when Xinerama is enabled.[/LIST]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][B][SIZE=3]nVIDIA Video Driver Version 304.51 Has Been Released[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[LIST][*]Added support for the following GPUs:
    [LIST][*]GeForce GTX 660
    GeForce GTX 650
    GeForce GT 645M
    GeForce GTX 670MX
    GeForce GTX 675MX [/LIST]
    [*]Added support for the new Quadro Sync board for Quadro Kepler GPUs. See the "Configuring Frame Lock and Genlock" chapter in the README for details. [*]Fixed an X server crash on X.Org xserver 1.13 when it is compiled without support for DRI2. [*]Fixed a regression that broke color controls on older X servers. [*]Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the display layout area of the nvidia-settings control panel to be laid out incorrectly. [*]Fixed a bug that prevented panning from working correctly after a modeswitch on some X servers with support for cursor constraining. [*]Gamma ramp and colormap adjustments now apply correctly when screen transformations such as rotation and keystone correction are in use. [*]Fixed RandR per-CRTC gamma persistence across modeswitches and VT-switches. [*]Fixed a bug that caused the X server to sometimes hang in response to input events. [*]Fixed a reduction in rendering performance for core X11 rendering on certain GPUs that occurred in the 290.series of releases. [*]Fixed a bug that prevented PowerMizer from working correctly on some boards with GDDR5 memory, such as some GeForce GT 240 SKUs. [*]Fixed a bug that caused OpenGL applications to not animate properly when a rotation or a transformation was applied on some older X server versions. [*]Enabled FXAA with Unified Back Buffers. [*]Fixed a bug that prevented the "Reset Hardware Defaults" button in the Display Settings page of nvidia-settings from being activated. [/LIST]
    [QUOTE=Rachelsdad;bt547]Per my previous PM in response to your follow-up of my post to the LARTC list, James, thank you very, very much for this excellent article. I tested this with my iproute2 commands (ip route add... and ip rule add...), and it works like a charm.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your kind words and I was very happy to be of help to you.

Thank You,
    Per my previous PM in response to your follow-up of my post to the LARTC list, James, thank you very, very much for this excellent article. I tested this with my iproute2 commands (ip route add... and ip rule add...), and it works like a charm.

Cheers
    [B][SIZE=3]Kernel Log: NVIDIA updates graphics drivers[/SIZE][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0000ff]by Thorsten Leemhuis[/COLOR][/B] [B]

NVIDIA's next driver generation will no longer support GeForce series 6 and 7 graphics cards. Mesa 3D jumps to version 9.0. The kernel developers plan to drop support for i386 processors.[/B]

Read More: [URL="http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Kernel-Log-NVIDIA-updates-graphics-drivers-1678863.html"]Kernel Log: NVIDIA updates graphics drivers - The H Open: News and Features[/URL]

Copyright © 2012 Heise Media UK Ltd.

Thank You,
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast