View RSS Feed

James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!

Here Bash Scripting Rules Supreme! I also talk about other useful subjects such as Video Cards, loading the nVIDIA video driver, Samba, kernel compiling, kernel source code and many other things that is related to using openSUSE. If you have a bash script request for openSUSE, please let me know.

Thank You,

1. Berkeley Packet Filter Just in Time compiler and The Linux Kernel 3.0

by , 06-Aug-2011 at 20:10 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I noticed a new addition to the Linux Kernel 3.0 which was called the "Berkeley Packet Filter Just in Time compiler". This seemed intriguing to me though I admit to not knowing how to make use of it. The H Open link on the subject is as follows:

Kernel Log: Coming in 3.0 (Part 1) - Networking - The H Open Source: News and Features

Just in time

The netfilter code now includes a "Berkeley Packet Filter Just-in-Time Compiler" for x86-64 systems.

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 17:54 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  2. MMCHECK - Version 2.45 - Check Your Multimedia in 16 Steps - Bash Script File

by , 28-Jun-2011 at 18:12 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I have updated mmcheck to version 2.45 for use with openSUSE 12.1 & 12.2, added in checks for the all new mplayer files and for the changes made in Packman.

Before using mmcheck, always consult the following thread for the proper way to setup your multimedia in openSUSE.

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

The newest version of mmcheck is too large to be ...

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 18:21 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  3. Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way

by , 18-Jun-2011 at 12:03 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    If you have an nVIDIA video card, do you have 3D support enabled? If you look into the "My Computer" icon, what does the display info say there? Here is a look at mine:

Code:
                Display Info

Vendor:  nVidia Corporation
        Model:  GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti]
    2D driver:  nvidia
    3D driver:  NVIDIA 331.20
    I always install the nVIDIA driver the Hard Way, which is not very hard using the most recent driver and I always run the ...

Updated 09-Nov-2013 at 08:27 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Hardware
  4. YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ

by , 18-Jun-2011 at 07:53 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    In openSUSE 11.4, the control of your CPU energy usage has been moved to the YaST Power Management module. This How To and FAQ Tells you how to install and enable this CPU control module.

With openSUSE 13.1, this function has been removed from YaST and is no longer selectable as outlined in this blog.

To begin, you must start the YaST Control Center and enter the root user password as normal. Then, proceed to:

YaST / Software / Software Management ...

Updated 11-Nov-2013 at 06:44 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  5. Compare Different Video Cards (GPU's) & CPU's before you buy - Web Site Links

by , 18-Jun-2011 at 06:56 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    Video Card Comparison:

I have found a really neat place were you can Compare Different Video Card GPU's before you buy - A Web Site Link. It can be used to compare older nVIDIA video cards to new ones, compare AMD video cards to NVIDIA and on and on. There is an extensive library that places existing specifications of one video card up against another. I have just never seen such a resource before. If you ever thought about buying a new video card and wondered what that might mean, ...

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 17:56 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Hardware
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast