View RSS Feed

James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!

Here Bash Scripting Rules Supreme! I also talk about other useful subjects such as Video Cards, loading the nVIDIA video driver, Samba, kernel compiling, kernel source code and many other things that is related to using openSUSE. If you have a bash script request for openSUSE, please let me know.

Thank You,

1. S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.50

by , 12-Feb-2012 at 08:19 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)

I am happy to present my bash script S.A.N.D.I., SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer which is written to work with DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support to allow the automatic installation of the nVIDIA proprietary Video Driver each time you upgrade your Kernel version. What DKMS does is to recompile and install any DKMS loaded driver against the running kernel each time a new kernel version is loaded. DKMS only works with ...

Updated 06-Jan-2014 at 09:58 by kgroneman

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. ISOMount - Allows you to mount and Browse ISO Files - Version 1.00

by , 03-Feb-2012 at 19:40 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)

ISOMount is a bash script (works with openSUSE 12.1 & 12.2) written to be launched from the KDE or GNOME desktop to allow the mounting of any ISO file, thus allowing you to be able read any file from within. When you first start ISOMount, you will see a screen like this:

ISOMount creates a new local folder in your home area called mnt ...

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 18:16 by jdmcdaniel3

Tags: files, iso, mount, umount
    Categories
    openSUSE Software
  3. systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3

by , 12-Nov-2011 at 21:25 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    I have found out that in openSUSE 12.1/12.2 and now 12.3, some startup scripts do not operate due to the usage of systemd. systemd really speeds up system startup by running the many startup processes in parallel and avoids the usage of shell scripts altogether. That is is good for speed, but not good if you are in need of running something in openSUSE as root when the system is restarted. In my case I was trying to run some VirtualBox mount commands in a VM running openSUSE 12.1/12.2/12.3 and ...

Updated 28-Jul-2013 at 15:26 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  4. Quiz: Using Exit Codes in Bash - A test for You.

by , 06-Nov-2011 at 16:12 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    Here is a small test I found on the internet with a few modifications. If you dare, take the test and then run my bash script to see how you did.

1. How Many Exit Codes are there?

A. 10
    B. 0-255
    C. 45
    D. 2

2. How do you view an exit code after you complete a command?

A. exit code list
    B. echo exit
    C. echo $ecode
    D. echo $?

3. What exit code generally suggests the command was successful?

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 18:25 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
  5. Bash Scripting - How would you like to Learn?

by , 29-Sep-2011 at 17:38 (James' openSUSE Bash Scripting (and other things) Blog - Your Comments are Welcome!)
    So it has been suggested that I consider starting a blog on Bash scripting. I have spent a far amount of time lately
    working on and posting bash scripts here in the openSUSE forum in the hope that you might find something useful to you.
    I don't think such efforts would make me any sort of bash scripting expert, but what if our goal is to help each other
    instead of just one master showing everyone else how it is done? In fact I have said more than once here in the forum

Updated 26-Mar-2013 at 17:54 by jdmcdaniel3

Categories
    openSUSE Software
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast