PDA

View Full Version : Will the Windows 10 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux and openSUSE?

dcurtisfra
22-May-2020, 02:25
Re-invoking the thread “Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?” – <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/477785-Will-the-Windows-8-mistakes-cause-Windows-users-to-switch-to-Linux-amp-openSuse?p=2482631#post2482631>

Will Windows users disappointed with the new restrictive ways Microsoft have chosen switch to Linux permanently?
Good question – possibly still relevant with the current Redmond offering:

Windows 10 has a load of “Redmond is calling” and “the Redmond folks may well find this interesting” bits and pieces …
By default, Windows 10 feeds the user with world-wide news provided by msn – IOW, Microsoft has added a Newspaper business to it's portfolio …
Windows 10 patches and updates either happen without being noticed or, they interrupt the daily work being done …
Windows 10 upgrades from one major release to the next, often cause a number of Pro/Contra articles in the computer press and, occasionally, also in the “normal” press …
Personally, I doubt that, most Redmond users have realised that, Windows 10 has a built-in Bash shell and Linux runtime environment as a feature …
Yes, Windows 10 is by default, possibly, more secure than previous versions of the Redmond offering …
Going through Wikipedia's Windows 10 feature list:

– Available in 110 languages.
– Platforms: IA-32, x86-64, ARMv7, ARM64.

ionmich
22-May-2020, 07:15
I hope not. Nothing degrades as quickly as the universally popular...in my opinion.

I switched from Windows to Linux with Red Hat during the last century. Since then I have recommended and assisted in converting 12-15 users to Linux. Every single one has reverted to Windows. I stopped recommending. I have been happy with openSUSE since 9.3 although I do test other distros.

openSUSE works!

hendwolt
22-May-2020, 08:02
I don't think, many users will convert.
In my experience the vast majority of users of an operating system / office package / ... are too lazy or unwilling, to "learn" an new OS / Office / ...
They want to keep, what they know.

Hendrik

another_roadrunner
22-May-2020, 09:06
I am agree with user hendwolt.

Sadly, I hear that a lot of times:
Why I would read the book? I saw the movie (or) I will wait for the movie.
So, why should I learn Linux (and read a lot)? It is easier to hit "Next".

dcurtisfra
22-May-2020, 09:41
I also field an awful amount of “Open Source” suspicion and mistrust – “If it ain't commercial, you can't trust it!” …

On the other hand, it's amazing how many Redmond users, use the Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird products for their Web activities and e-Mail …

“KDE Connect” is also available for the Redmond users – and the Cupertino user community …

I personally find that, the Redmond attempt to integrate Mobile Telephones to their desktop to be extremely distasteful – they replaced my Android GUI with something they felt would be “better” – IMHO, it isn't …
KDE Connect on KDE Plasma is however, the absolute Mobile Telephone integration hammer – at least for Android telephones …
If you have an Apple environment (pure – Mac and iPhone) then, that integration is comparable to the integration achieved by the KDE Connect team …

Office applications:

The number of Redmond users who prefer OpenOffice and LibreOffice to the Redmond equivalent, is quite amazing.

If you ever want to have a really bad Redmond experience, work for a company who believes that “Share Point” contributes positively to the managed interchange of data between employees/teams/groups/departments …

nrickert
22-May-2020, 11:33
I also field an awful amount of “Open Source” suspicion and mistrust – “If it ain't commercial, you can't trust it!” …
That's fair.

I would add: If it is commercial, you can't trust it.

Or, in summary, "if it is software, you can't trust it". And I suppose we should add "if it is hardware, you can't trust it."

Knurpht
22-May-2020, 13:00
No they won't. Like 8 did not. Like the Raspberry Pi did not. Like WSL 2.0 will not. My 3 cents.

deano_ferrari
22-May-2020, 16:23
Windows has its dominant place in the commercial ecosystem - I really can't see that changing no matter what the criticisms/risks/issues etc. There are too many enterprise software packages in common use that require it ie a lot of 'software inertia' to keep propagating it's requirement. However, in my job as a network engineer for a company providing mobile radio and associated desktop dispatch services, I (and my sys admin colleague) do make use of open source (via Linux environments) for monitoring, provisioning, and config backup purposes.

malcolmlewis
22-May-2020, 17:40
Hi
Alas, I use WinX for some tools (Alarm panels, Electronic locks and Security Camera tools), always have to make sure the system is all up to date before heading out as it's a pain with updating and don't need that happening on site...grrrrrrr

I don't see how folks put up with it on a day to day basis....

deano_ferrari
22-May-2020, 17:52
Hi
Alas, I use WinX for some tools (Alarm panels, Electronic locks and Security Camera tools), always have to make sure the system is all up to date before heading out as it's a pain with updating and don't need that happening on site...grrrrrrr
Yes, I ensure updates are done prior to site visits (especially remote high sites) or crucial work has to be done.

I don't see how folks put up with it on a day to day basis....
Truth be told, I haven't been impacted that much by my work laptop with Windows 10 installed. Yes, there are updates, but I'm offered to have them install outside of work hours etc, and I usually do so when at home. That said, I still prefer the overall security and reliability of my Linux environments. :)

dcurtisfra
23-May-2020, 07:37
From a software development view, the major differences between Open Source and “working for the man” are:

With Open Source, the copyright on the code you write remains with you.
With commercial software, the copyright on the code is the property of your employer (usually) …
With Open Source, your name is attached to the code – world wide …
With commercial software, the only names associated with the code are those of the upper management …
With Open Source, everyone gets to see how well you write code and, the code is inspected and, it's possible to submit bug reports, crash dumps and issues found – world wide …

Formal testing is, alas and alack, a major issue in far too many cases …

With commercial software, the code is usually not available for inspection and, one has to trust that, an acceptable amount of testing has been performed and, it's usually difficult to report any errors found …

No, I haven't mentioned “free” because, which “free” is meant here?

“Free” as in freedom.
“Free” as in “the licence fee is not defined as being a monetary value” …

dcurtisfra
23-May-2020, 09:01
And, I'm an unashamed democrat – as in someone who strongly believes that, we haven't found anything to better than democratic government …

And no, I do not mean the US American political party …

Therefore, I'm strongly of the opinion that, everything in a digital world which deals with the interface between the population and the government, should be Open Source.

And, government institutions which directly deal with the population's interests, such as:

the tax department;
the registration offices – births, deaths, passports, driver's licences, personal ID cards, residence location, land registry;
public services – water, sewage, rubbish collection;
agricultural control and subsidies;

should publish all their applications as Open Source for public inspection.

Yes, I've omitted industrial interests because, business is a legal person who doesn't get to vote – if businesses feel that, their governmental interfaces should also be Open Source then, that's their business …

Yes, I've also omitted everything to do with Law and Order and Justice …

Yes, I've also omitted the politicians and politics – let's get our interfaces with the governments sorted and then, we'll deal with the politicians …

karlmistelberger
24-May-2020, 02:49
On the fifth anniversary of Windows 10, Ed Bott looks back at what it was supposed to be and what it ultimately became. Almost nothing turned out as planned, and that’s OK.

Still, Windows 10 accomplished its two biggest jobs

Despite the occasional twists and turns that Windows 10 has taken in the past five years, it has accomplished its two overarching goals.

First, it erased the memory of Windows 8 and its confusing interface. For the overwhelming majority of Microsoft's customers who decided to skip Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7, the transition was reasonably smooth. Even the naming decision, to skip Windows 9 and go straight to 10 was, in hindsight, pretty smart.

Second, it offered an upgrade path to customers who were still deploying Windows 7 in businesses. That alternative became extremely important when we zoomed past the official end-of-support date for Windows 7 in January 2020.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-five-years-later-almost-nothing-turned-out-as-planned-and-thats-ok/

dcurtisfra
25-May-2020, 03:07
Second, it offered an upgrade path to customers who were still deploying Windows 7 in businesses.
This upgrade path has also meant that, local government, at least around here, has, AFAICS, moved to Windows 10 – except for the very few cases who had moved away from Redmond anyway …

We're left with the issue of “transparent government” with closed source commercial applications …