PDA

View Full Version : I created a openSUSE facebook page.



EmoPenguin
15-Mar-2010, 19:24
Hey everyone. I created a opneSUSE facebook page. I did this in hope to represent openSUSE and maybe have some of my friends check it out. If nothing else I have it to alert "fans" to updated and other reliant current news. The url is
openSUSE | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/openSUSE/368557314398?created#!/pages/openSUSE/368557314398?v=wall) feel free to become a fan if you would like ^.^

palladium
16-Mar-2010, 01:39
EmoPenguin wrote:
> Hey everyone. I created a opneSUSE facebook page.

good idea, but another one?

at least 31 different openSUSE groups on facebook now..

sometimes it is good to search before creating/posting.. ;-)

--
palladium

EmoPenguin
16-Mar-2010, 04:54
Actually I did search them. I know they are there but there are not many fans. My idea of this one was to be maintained my multiple people from these forums. Kinda of like the "official" openSUSE page.

Spyhawk
16-Mar-2010, 06:33
You should try to contact the opensuse-marketing mailing list. I'm know that there is actually an active "official" Facebook group/page somewhere. ;)

RichardET
20-Mar-2010, 07:16
You should try to contact the opensuse-marketing mailing list. I'm know that there is actually an active "official" Facebook group/page somewhere. ;)

with employers scrutinizing their employee's facebook account routinely, I fail to see the logic of anyone posting on facebook. There used to be a joke that if you worked at GM, you better not drive to work in a Ford. I wonder if Microsoft monitors employee postings supporting open source? In the pharma industry, it can be risky to post on www.cafepharma.com; I used to work at Sanofi-Aventis and they actually blocked that site on work computers!

hendersj
20-Mar-2010, 10:11
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:26:01 +0000, RichardET wrote:

> There used to be a
> joke that if you worked at GM, you better not drive to work in a Ford.

Back when I used to teach, I went to one of the big auto manufacturers'
HQ in Michigan; it was amazing the variety of cars in the parking lot -
not all for the company I was visiting, either - sometimes it's smart to
know the competition VERY well. ;-)

Jim



--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

palladium
20-Mar-2010, 10:32
RichardET wrote:
> with employers scrutinizing their employee's facebook account
> routinely, I fail to see the logic of anyone posting on facebook.

of course, you mean anyone who is chained to an employer..

never forget that 'work' is a four letter word....for a reason.

--
palladium

RichardET
20-Mar-2010, 11:16
I agree if you are well established as a self employed person, then post away, but even if you are still in the college years, posting can be risky; A recent case involved a graduate who posted negatively about Cisco and subsequently a job offer from Cisco was revoked. Personally I think we should be able to say virtually anything we want, after all there are free speech issues at stake here, but it seems to be the reality that we cannot;

palladium
21-Mar-2010, 01:40
oh NO! you mean just by exercising my right to free speech i may have
blown my chance to work for M$?

guess what, i would not want to work for any company or government
which didn't want and value my opinion, whether mine agreed with the
chairman's, prime minister's, president's, and etc or not.

that is, to want to work for Cisco after learning they nixed for
expressing an opinion, well . . . .

--
palladium

RichardET
21-Mar-2010, 05:35
thats wonderful that you have this life situation where you can ignore the reality that posting opinions whether on facebook or twitter can get you fired; it is the unfortunate reality of the digital age that we have zero control over any content we post publicly; one it is out there on google search lists, thats it.

palladium
21-Mar-2010, 06:14
RichardET wrote:
> one it is out there on google search lists, thats it.

i am not disagreeing with you..

instead i am condemning the environment which presupposes that we must
NOT reveal our opinion online..

further, just where is it safe to speak freely?

how small a number gathered can be assumed safe to actually say:
Microsoft SUCKS, and not forgo the possibility of joining and change
from the inside?

and, *most* important: is it rational to say something like "Don't
speak bad of Cisco because someday they might not hire you."

is that the 'Digital Age' we want? do we actually want to transition
from nations with embedded secret police making dads afraid they would
be jailed because their son/daughter/brother/sister turned them in to
the thought police--and go within a generation or two (or less)
straight to a Digital Age where we all have to fear *every*one..

AND: i add, if you agree that that is not what we want then we must
all fight it...how? one way is to encourage society to bury those
companies practicing what you say Cisco did.

to say: 'shhhhh, someone might hear you' only encourages Cisco, et al,
and their Big Brother practices..

--
palladium

hendersj
22-Mar-2010, 12:55
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:14:53 +0000, palladium wrote:

> instead i am condemning the environment which presupposes that we must
> NOT reveal our opinion online..
>
> further, just where is it safe to speak freely?

Personal opinion here: Free speech is all well and good, but there's
nothing that says that there may not be consequences to exercising that
free speech. Insert argument about shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre
when there is no fire. Yep, you were free to say that, but you also
would (in most places in the US in any event) be subject to prosecution
for incitement (or something similar).

But by and large, I do agree with you - the problem with the Internet is
that it never forgets, and it's unfortunate that some people use that to
persecute people who said something when they were young and
inexperienced and didn't have a care in the world.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

palladium
23-Mar-2010, 01:16
point well taken.

--
palladium

techwiz03
24-Mar-2010, 02:39
Employment agencies have for a number of years been using candidate search criteria as a basis of accept/reject for their client employers. The concept is not so much what you say but more importantly, is the fact that you openly express an opinion which may be con-screwed as having attitude, being negative, unable to know boundaries of what should be private vs public.

What is said on the Internet by you or about you by others is becoming the number one reason people are shooting themselves in the virtual pocket. I remember getting an email from an employment agency one day last year stating that they had a number of client employers interested in me simply because they had visited my sites, liked what they saw but liked more what they didn't find (no facebook, no myspace, no chatrooms).