11.1 freezes

I thought about hardware problems, but I think it is not the case, because Vista works fine (and ubuntu worked fine also) and now suse also boot ok, just the problem with the mouse.

Anyway I will leave memtest for this night turned on :slight_smile:

Whenever you have inconsistent random problems, hardware is where to look. At the start of this thread, Ubuntu installed but didn’t boot, but later it does. OpenSUSE didn’t, then did, then didn’t, now does but without mouse working. Just fyi, a ram upgrade should always be thoroughly tested first. And Vista being OK doesn’t mean much, unless you have been using it for an extended period of time; the problem may just not be showing up yet depending on what you are doing with that OS.

After al night testing with MemTest I can confrim that RAM is OK.

Grrrr >:(

If you are going to open a new thread for the problem being worked on in this thread, you should at least post such here in the interest of our time.

I’ll cut this short: For whatever reason, you initially had a booting problem after your hardware upgrade. I suspect the new drive invoked the use of AHCI, or perhaps you made a change in the bios setting, and that required disabling message signal interrupts. Done.

With the mouse, there are two possibilities remaining. The device or controller is not being properly detected, or the mouse is not properly configured in the X server.

As @brunomci already suggested on the other thread, we should look at the kernel log, but also the X server log. Boot from a LiveCD that connects to the internet and from the command line as root do:

dmesg > dmesg.txt
curl -F file=@dmesg.txt nopaste.com/a

That will put the kernel ring log on a web page; post the url back here. For the X server log you’ll need to mount the root partition first. Like:

mount -t ext3 /dev/<root partition> /mnt
cd /mnt
curl -F file=@var/log/Xorg.0.log nopaste.com/a

For the X server configuration, the first thing to do is to go to YaST/Hardware/Mouse and see if the mouse can be properly detected and configured there; reboot to make the changes effective. Or search a bit for help on that mouse config; I found this [SOLVED] Logitech MX400 on Ubuntu 8.04 :: Linux Solved](http://www.linux-solved.com/post/SOLVED-Logitech-MX400-on-Ubuntu-8-04-16978.html)

Sorry for double post, but this tread was started as freezing problem, you solved it and moue was kind of other problem so I thought it to be wise to make other. Maybe decision not so good, sorry one more time and I appreciate what you are doing.

I will check your suggestions.

Downloaded x64 11.1 gnome live CD, booted it with nolapic pci=nomsi brokenmodules=uhci-hcd and mouse works!

I installed from x64 installation DVD with same boot options.

dmesg.txt - nopaste.com (beta) (my dmesg.txt)

The mouse is not working now due to your including “brokenmodules=uhci-hcd” because that is not what you actually typed. Look at the dmesg 4th line, which is the kernel boot arguments command line. You typed “uchi” instead of “uhci”; the ‘c’ and the ‘h’ are transposed. So if you scroll down dmesg to where the UCHI controller is detected, you see that the uhci-hcd driver is being loaded. You can also see where the mouse is subsequently detected. Without comparing to a previous dmesg where the mouse did not work, I cannot determine if the difference now has anything to do with the kernel. You are now using the 64-bit kernel, although strictly speaking that should not make any difference. But again, impossible to say without having the 32-bit kernel log to compare with. Regardless, you should remove the brokenmodules argument from menu.lst because it isn’t doing anything. It may be that the mouse problem all along was in the X server configuration; a comparison of the xorg.conf files between the diff installs would be necessary to determine that.

My real install already not using brokenmodules after your recent post.

I will boot from live CD again and copy conf file.

My question is why from live CD mouse is working, from installation DVD not (even in install phase) ?

Here is x conf from installed system - nopaste.com (beta) conf from installed system and here is x conf from Live CD - nopaste.com (beta) from live CD.

Maybe I should try reinstalling from Live CD instead DVD ? Sure it is not the best way to solve problems, but maybe it would work…

Reinstalled from live gnome CD and now I have mouse working, also this install automatically detected screen size (from DVD no).

We can close this thread, but I think some one wise should be interested why is such differences in same version installations.

Thanks for help.

If you compare the 2 xorg.conf files, you can see how different the mouse (and keyboard) configuration is. The LiveCD uses openSUSE’s sax2 utility to configure X, and in the “InputDevice” sections you can see that sax2 detected both your 12-button Logitech mouse, your 5-button Synaptics touchpad, and several options for the your keyboard. None of this is in your installed xorg.conf file.

The reason is that you used either the nvidia-settings or nvidia-xconfig program, or perhaps compiled the driver yourself and took the option of the installation program to write the X configuration. Ordinarily that does not change any existing mouse and keyboard sections, so it looks like that whatever you did, you wrote over any X file created by sax (the installation would have created a file like the LiveCD does). In any event, you need to regenerate xorg.conf with sax2 or fix it manually. You can:

1. Boot the installed system into init 3 (the numeral 3 in Boot Options). At the command line login as root and do:

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.mybackup
sax2 -a

Then do:

more xorg.conf

Check if the InputDevice sections have been created. Note that this will also write over the video driver and monitor configuration, so check that. If it isn’t right, you may need to do:

sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

Again check the xorg.conf file. If sax2 didn’t properly recognize/configure your card, then do:

nvidia-xconfig
  1. On the installed system, go to YaST/Hardware/Mouse.

2. Use a text editor to copy/paste the LiveCD xorg.conf file’s sections. From an earlier post it looks as if your openSUSE root is /dev/sda6. So you would boot the LiveCD, open a terminal, switch to root, and mount the SuSE partition:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda6 /mnt

Then press Alt-F2 and in the run dialog type:

kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That will open the xorg.conf file created by the LiveCD. Then do the same except with this:

kdesu kwrite /mnt/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Which will open the xorg.conf on your installed system. Copy all the InputDevice sections from the first file into the second file, writing over the sections currently in the second file. Save it. Reboot the installed system.

I wrote the above post before I saw your last one regarding reinstalling with the LiveCD. All I can offer is that the differences in the xorg.conf file was not because of the LiveCD vs the DVD installation, or any openSUSE installation. All openSUSE media use sax2 to configure X. Your installed system had an xorg.conf created by the nvidia-settings program (it says so in the first lines of the file). The file created by openSUSE will say sax2 at the top. So something was done to write over the sax2 file that was created during installation.