VNC is not working

Why would you blame Windows for the way ZoneAlarm (mis)behaves? They’re two completely separate products made by two different companies. The firewall that comes with Windows is not that difficult to configure and is more than adequate for most home user’s needs. If ZA is causing issues, I suggest you uninstall it.

And, FYI, I too remotely access my parents WinXP computers over the Internet. And I use the same two programs you’re using on Linux: SSH & VNC. Sure, Windows doesn’t come with those apps out of the box, but they’re not hard to acquire thanks to the beauty of OSS (and actually, Remote Desktop works better than VNC when available.)

If you have an issue with dynamic IP addresses you might consider using DDNS. I suggest dyndns.org. I never have to know my parents public IP address.

So no, I still don’t see how being able to remotely access a Linux desktop would “get lots of people to try Linux.” To the contrary, VNC doesn’t even work correctly in openSUSE 11.2! Why a distro would allow the release of a major new version knowing there are significant unresolved bugs like this is beyond me. Seems every new version breaks something was working fine in the previous one.

To coin your words, I’m not sure how you reasoned some one “would blame Windows”. Where am I blaming Windows in this thread? Was there a post on this thread by me ranting about MS-Windows operating system because of Zone Alarm ? Which post was that? There was a post noting no one in our family knows how to do this in WinXP. Is that what you call blaming an operating system?

I’ve suggested to my wife she consider that. Her reply is she can not get another legally free firewall that is as good. And to do so at this stage, requires a long expensive flight over a piece of water called the Atlantic Ocean.

Good on ya … and if you had read my post, you would have read my wife does the same, from her office PC to her home PC. I did not mention, but she also uses Remote Desktop.

I use dyndns. I have been using it for over 3 years. I need that as it gives me my mother’s IP address so I can find her PC on the Internet.

But that does NOT help my wife access my mother’s PC. My mother is NOT trying to access our PCs. We are trying to access her PC.

As noted, Zone Alarm is setup such that one has to enter the IP address of the PC that is trying to acccess in the Zone Alarm trusted zone. Given that the IP-Address of the PC trying to access changes all the time, that means my mother would have to make that Zone Alarm entry all the time, and THAT level of navigating through Zone Alarm menu’s is well beyond the capability of my 83-year old mother in MS-Windows.

It has NOTHING to do with dyndns.

My wife set up my mother’s ZoneAlarm, last February, such that it will block external IP addresses. And in ZoneAlarm, according to my wife (at least for the security level she believes is needed) one has to open up the PC to IP-addresses one at a time (or list all the IP addresses that have access). Our ISP here in Europe has assigned us MANY dozen different IP addresses each month. We get a new one every 24-hours.

I think it is more the philosophy, … that if one has a family member who they trust, who is knowledgeable in Linux, then even if they live far away, they can immediately and easily access one’s PC to maintain it. That is a feature that likely could be advertised more.

As noted above, vnc “just works” for me. I explained how. I did not tweak nor tune 1 openSUSE setting. Did you even try the solution I provided on a FRESH install (before having possibly inappropriately tuned any settings)? That method has “just worked” in every openSUSE release since 10.1 (when I first started using it) and the only time it did NOT work was for a brief time in 11.0 when KDE4 caused some problems.

tongue in cheek on my part, but could it be because the distro has many users who prefer to rant after a release hits the street, rather than participate in the testing? Note we have a forum area (called Soap Box), NOT applications, where users who wish to RANT can do so there. IMHO users who have such complaints that are more a rant should post there.

Just for reference, you could try Comodo Firewall. It’s free and supposedly better than ZA. Maybe a little more difficult to set up but I used it on my XP machines for 3-4 years without problems. I still liked Sygate best but that is no longer available free. Still doesn’t solve your problem of having to cross the Atlantic to install and configure it though.

Thanks. I’ll forward that to my wife.

Oldcpu, I think you’ve spent too much time on forums, it’s made you very defensive and I’m not going to waste my time getting into a finger pointing match with you.

The idea behind using dyndns was that you could put the hostname into ZA and forget about it. If ZA is so limited that it doesn’t support doing this, then I repeat, you should pitch it. But it’s ultimately your choice if you want to continue dealing with featureless software.

My comment about VNC not working after upgrading to 11.2 is not a “rant” it’s a fact that’s germane to this thread. As a matter of fact, that’s how I stumbled upon this thread. Some of us don’t have either the time or interest in beta testing software, we just want it to work. Besides, according to this thread, this was a “known bug” before 11.2 dropped so your argument is moot. The testing was already done! They decided to release a broken build anyway.

Have a nice day.

I appreciate your views and your recommendations, but I can assure you this is not my choice. I stopped using MS-Windows at home in 1998. Win95 was the last MS-Windows I used. This is my wife’s choice, and other than a casual suggestion, I would not dream of pushing nor dictating to her what she should do in her operating system of choice. Thats a sure way to land me in trouble. lol!

Is is germane. And so is my point that it does “just work” germane. Did you try my suggestion? How many times do I have to post the way that does “just work” ?

All I need do is put an icon on my desktop for each of those two commands, first click on one, and then click on the other. Incredibly easy from my desktop. And I have vnc connection direct to my mother’s PC.

And as noted, vnc just works with that method and it worked in 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1 and now just works in 11.2. I do not see how more clear I can be than that. Vnc DOES work.

That comment of mine that vnc DOES work is also germane. Saying vnc does not work (because of some front end gui) is horribly inaccurate and does minimal to solve the problem. What one SHOULD say is vnc does not work using a very specific gui method, but acknowledge it DOES work using another method.

Good luck in your efforts.

No my arguement is not mute.

Vnc does work.

A method using a front end GUI does not work, but vnc does. Vnc is NOT broken.

Hi Klaus

I had the same problem and via the tightvnc mailing list I got the actual solution from John S Wolter. It’s IPv6 that’s causing the problem - not KDE4 nor Tightvnc:

Just disable IPv6 in the Network devices setup, comment out the lines in /etc/hosts that refer to IPv6, and reboot.

Now it works as before (just enable the vnc services in xinetd, make sure that ports 5801-5803 and 5901-5903 are open in the firewall, and you might want to have a look at /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager.)

Kind regards, Niclas

It works for me, what’s the issue you’re getting?

Hi DiskCrasher

I’m confused now, it works for me. You said:

To the contrary, VNC doesn’t even work correctly in openSUSE 11.2!

…we just want it to work. Besides, according to this thread, this was a “known bug” before 11.2 dropped… They decided to release a broken build anyway.

So, what’s wrong with VNC in 11.2 for you, the issues that you’re having with it?

It’s working for me using oldcpu’s or Swerdna’s methods.

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:36:01 GMT, DiskCrasher
<DiskCrasher@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Why would you blame Windows for the way ZoneAlarm (mis)behaves? They’re
>two completely separate products made by two different companies. The
>firewall that comes with Windows is not that difficult to configure and
>is more than adequate for most home user’s needs. If ZA is causing
>issues, I suggest you uninstall it.
>
>And, FYI, I too remotely access my parents WinXP computers over the
>Internet. And I use the same two programs you’re using on Linux: SSH &
>VNC. Sure, Windows doesn’t come with those apps out of the box, but
>they’re not hard to acquire thanks to the beauty of OSS (and actually,
>Remote Desktop works better than VNC when available.)
>
>If you have an issue with dynamic IP addresses you might consider using
>DDNS. I suggest dyndns.org. I never have to know my parents public IP
>address.
>
>So no, I still don’t see how being able to remotely access a Linux
>desktop would “get lots of people to try Linux.”

Just in case you might interested, i am getting closer to being able
to remote administer MS boxes from my Linux desktop. As i have scant
time to devote to this i look to others who are doing this to
illuminate my way.

The issue that this much more straightforward to do securely in Linux
matters to others in wildly varying degree.

The easiest way I administered my XP box from openSUSE was to use RDP with Rdesktop. On the MS box allow remote desktop sharing and set up a password, open the firewall if necessary, etc.

Then on openSUSE, install Rdesktop with YAST. I then access the XP box by running

rdesktop -z -a 16 -g 1024x768 192.168.1.xxx

from a terminal or you can make a desktop shortcut.

More details here.

Oldcpu: So sorry, it’s not VNC that’s broken, it’s KDE. Substitute the letters KDE for VNC in my above post and re-read. Everything I said will still be applicable, but I’m confident you’ll find a way to pick it apart semantically again.

swerdna: I’m getting the black screen on connect, which I believe someone else described earlier in this thread. Eventually the client just disconnects. This is after enabling the VNC server in Yast.

suse_tpx60s: Rdesktop works, but a more useful tool IMO is tsclient which allows you to set the protocol (RDP/VNC) and other options via GUI before connecting. I’ve remotely administered both XP and Linux systems with it.

For the record, only the “Pro” version of XP supports Remote Desktop, the “Home” version does not (thanks, Microsoft). Vista is similar, and I’m sure Win7. In these cases, I’ve installed a VNC server (tightVNC, although I plan to try tigerVNC one of these days).

Of course, Microsoft managed to break VNC in Vista and I’m not sure a permanent fix has yet been created.*

Its always useful for a developer, when a user tries to be specific when pinning down the problem.

Globally saying operating system-X is broke, or more specifically in this case saying desktop-A is broke, or saying remote monitoring with function-B is broke, when in fact, its just one of a number of different front ends to function-B that is not functioning, is not very helpful with such statements. Especially when others have desktop-A working well, and have function-B working well. Sadly some users just enjoy talking globally about a breakage, as opposed to actually trying to help others pin down the problem.

DiskCrasher, did you try the vnc method I suggested?

Re: the 10 minute time limit - I agree its a pain. It was one of the compromises that was suggested so as to bring on NNTP users into our forum.

That’s not hard, works OK for me. Last week I logged into four computers in a cross town business lan running xp. One by one I backed up their hard drives by imaging them to a NAS on their LAN, managed from my openSUSE 11.2 KDE desktop running the simple command

vncviewer address:port

Each of their machines runs TightVNC server for windows (on different port numbers).

That works great too, but or course, no good for multiple remote machines on a lan, or have you a method for that?

Try this method, it works with KDE: TightVNC (VNC Xvnc) on openSUSE as Client or Server (Remote Desktop Connections)

For the record, only the “Pro” version of XP supports Remote Desktop, the “Home” version does not (thanks, Microsoft). Vista is similar, and I’m sure Win7. In these cases, I’ve installed a VNC server (tightVNC, although I plan to try tigerVNC one of these days).
There’s a free microsoft upgrade to put rdp client on xp home.

Oldcpu: Thanks again for the lecture. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some non-technical users may not know (or care about) the difference between KDE and VNC (would your Mom care?) It’s great that there’s a workaround for techies, but that’s not really the point. Bottom line is that something is still broken yet it was allowed to proceed to release, as is so often the case with OSS. No, I haven’t tried your workaround.

Thanks, although it looks a little involved and I wonder if it might conflict with the currently installed VNC? Since I don’t desperately need this (yet), I’ll try to wait for an official fix.

You sure about that (no link provided)? You may be confusing the RDP client with the RDP server. See the third question here.