openSUSE-11.3 RC1 (release candidate 1) due tomorrow 17-June

I am going to test it tomorrow with the liveCD version, hope the bug won’t appear :slight_smile:

Well, I just installed openSUSE 11.3 RC1 on a Quad core AMD machine and it installed just fine. As normal, I loaded it onto an external USB hard drive which worked except, it did not mark the openSUSE partition as bootable (I had to use Gparted to do that after the install). I have a Creative X-Fi card on this machine and the sound came up working right off the bat. I was unable to load the nVidia Video Driver the hard way. I only found the VLC repository as supporting 11.3. Any other software repositories present, besides the default ones installed for you and VLC, that work with 11.3?

Thank You,

I don’t recommend the VLC repository, as it has less rpms than the Packman repository, and the applications between the VLC and the Packman are in some cases (such as codec locations) not compatible with each other. There have been many dozens (hundreds ? ) of user posts complaining their sound does not work, or their video does work for .avi file playback, or some other multimedia problem, and it has in the majority of cases been because they mixed packman packaged and VLC/videolan/libdvdcss repository applications.

There is a list of 3rd party repos here: Additional package repositories - openSUSE and in the case of Packman, for 11.3 milestone releases one should initially use the Factory repository. However very soon I anticipate Packman packagers will commence populating an 11.3 repos.

I notice this post: USB devices unabe to mount when plugged in (11.3 RC1) - openSUSE Forums
… IMHO this is just the tip of the iceburg.

We may need to sweet talk some kind soul who understands hal and udev to lend a hand here on our forum, and teach some of us about this, so we can provide support in such cases, else I fear our forum will be in for a rough ride trying to support upset new 11.3 users.

Just 'dup’d to RC1
All good.

USB storage devices are just fine BTW

Thats good to read, but I confess I still believe there is a MAJOR problem here, … at least with the liveCDs where the apps need to hotplug automount under KDE are missing.

I note this post of dth2:

I have to run to work, but I just booted my Dell Studio 1537 Laptop again to 11.3 RC1. Plugged in the USB stick. Nothing. The recommended advice is:

They can be found under ” System information screen and are accessible via the file manager Dolphin or Konqueror.

Well thats NOT the case. There was nothing there in terms of the USB device. Believe me, I looked.

When I type “lsusb” the memory stick is clearly there. Yet it is NOT hot plug automounted via GUI. Again, I can manually mount a USB stick. I don’t need a GUI to do this, EXCEPT when I am in a business meeting, with my laptop screen displayed on the big screen for 20 or 30 people to see, the LAST thing I want to be is be typing commands in a terminal to manually mount a memory stick. That is a SUREFIRE way to give Linux a bad rep.

Its quite possible some package is missing from the liveCD such that one can not have a hot plug auto mount without the missing package. With an install on the HD perhaps this can be fixed. Maybe this weekend I can test that.

If so, we need IMHO to have this precisely understood.

… If true (ie liveCD has a limitation) 'm a bit surprised the details of this was not flushed out in an earlier milestone release. But that may be because many of the testers do not bother to burn the new milestone releases and only do updates, which IMHO misses an important part of testing what new users will go through. … Of course, testing the ability to update without a CD (via online updates) is also important. I’ve been focused testing LXDE and for this openSUSE release I did not spend time on that (hot plug automount). Unfortunately given it worked in 11.0 and 11.1 I took for granted we would not see a MAJOR regression.

Dupped a couple of days ago from the factory repos. All running smooth. No issues on KDE4 4.4.3, issues with fish and sftp on KDE4 4.5 beta remain.
No issues with external storage/USB devices.

Just re-read this thread on the usb problem. The screenshot posted by oldcpu (page 1) shows no disc drive info on sysinfo. Which was the same as when I first installed but once the needed packages are installed usb sticks work fine and sysinfo shows the normal disc info - so I would guess that a related package for hal type problem.

Thats encouraging.

I think this weekend (maybe tonight) on my sandbox PC I will install 11.3 RC1 32-bit KDE (replacing 11.3 M7 32-bit LXDE). Then I’ll play with it over the weekend. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a better handle myself about 11.3 RC1 KDE functionality, so that I will feel more comfortable about installing 11.3 GM when it arrives. Right now my liveCD experience with USB hot plug auto mounting has me a bit puzzled/concerned.

And then early next week I will replace 11.3 RC1 32-bit KDE with 11.3 RC1 32-bit LXDE.

Just used the RC1 x86 DVD
Formatting my M7/dup>RC1 install away.

Installed gnome desktop.
Completed perfectly and I am now using my new gnome desktop.:slight_smile:

@caf4926

Is the package “hal” for hal daemon installed during the DVD install process (for Gnome)?

The devs have been looking at dropping HAL even in 11.3 (mailing list stuff). IIRC Gnome was in better shape to do that, but not KDE. This may go some way to explain the problem when installing from RC1’s KDE liveCD, with “hal” not being installed ootb. The KDE utilities were missing important system information as a result.

On another thread, it appears the liveCD possibly does not include hal nor its dependency gimp-module-hal. Investigation by others (than me) suggests one needs to install those packages to obtain hot-plug automounting in 11.3 RC1 (by those doing a clean install - those updating of course would not encounter this).

That was too me originally a bit of a surprise (not to have this working in a liveCD) but I am encouraged to see there is possibly a solution.

Zypper dup from M7 last night, all went well. I only have one USB drive to test but I just plugged it in, and was recognised and can rw just fine…
The pile of poo that is nepomuk/strigi/virtuoso/redland still does not work, but I gave up any hope of it ever working many months ago. I also have some misbehaving plasma widgetery, but I have struggled to get to grips with the whole plasma lark since I went from KDE3x, so this is surely my fault!
One slight annoying thing, why is OO and Gimp still installed without my choice? Bad enough the programs themselves, but watching 100Mb of Docs in Russian and German being pointlessly downloaded and installed without having any say in the matter is just plain DAFT.

Was ist das? Einige von uns wie Gimp.

Но ваш комментарий замечен

rotfl! rotfl!

Nepomuk at least tries, a bit to do something. it gives an error message which does not fit in the notifier, so it can’t actually be read.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/wakou/June2010/nepophail.png

For data… what? maybe it says “for data retrieval, write down where you put stuff on a piece of paper and store in a rolodex, nepomuk forgets stuff, and err like misses stuff and err can’t find stuff.”

I’ll have to get back to you on this. All was well with my usb flash drive when I plugged it in.
But right now I’m wiping it all again and doing a plain kde install, just testing the install plain from both the main desktops.

I am going back to gnome on another issue with fonts. Bump me in a few days if I forget.:wink:

Just (2010.06.17) downloaded and installed RC1 DVD. Installed with Gnome desktop, with but a very few annoyances. The .iso installed was Build 675 (not 676), though USB plugins are behaving quite well.

Should I download, burn and install Build 676, or rely on updates to resolve the differences ?

Little “problems”:

“Failsafe” start does NOT work at all. (Strange, as normal boot works fine!). Failsafe start presents a solid white screen, which responds to ctrl+alt+f1, and re-boots.

Selection of / previewing of certain screensavers causes a drop to runlevel 3, with a login prompt.

Suspend (fka “Suspend to RAM”) still does not function, although no kernel panic (flashing caps lock) is observed, and re-boot does not require hard power off.

Hibernate (fka “Suspend to Disk”) seems to function correctly, with a single non-fatal module failure on restart. (Documenting this separately).

The solution to the Hibernate/return to GRUB problem noted here Suspension, Hibernation and GRUB - openSUSE Forums does not function as in 11.2. In fact, the solution in the referenced post actually stops hibernation, restarts wireless and returns as though nothing else occurred. :wink:

Little annoyances in the install process include poor wireless support (recognizes wireless, fails on accessing a secure network). Circumvented by using wired (eth0) access. (After install completed, I needed to install the “Packman” Broadcom package(s)). The installation process recognized the presence of the second Linux (Ubuntu) partition(s), although omitted this from the GRUB. (Resolved easily, thanks to user Swerdna’s posts on this matter.

The install was quite a satisfactory expereience. Other than as noted above, prior problems with NTFS, Windows disappearing from GRUB and such all seem to be correct. The entire process consumed about 4 hours, mosttly due to a second DVD burn required.

I still keep thinking “If everything is going OK, you have obviously overlooked something”.

One thing I have discovered over the years with Linux, is different hardware works better or worse with different Linux distributions, and works better or worse with different versions of a single Linux distribution. Hence I believe it would help if everyone reporting failure or success would give a one line description of their PC, … ie something like:

64-bit Dell Studio 1537, Intel P8400 w/4GB, w/ATI Radeon 3450HD graphics
or
32-bit AMD Athlon-2800 w/2GB (Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard) w/ PCI nVidia GeForce 8400GS graphics
or
32-bit AMD Athlon-1100 w/1GB (MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard) w/AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics
or
32-bit Fujitsu-Simens Amilo 7400M laptop w/1.256 GB w/Intel 1.5 celeron, and Intel i855 GM graphics
… something along those lines. :slight_smile:

Omitted from my earlier openSUSE-11.3 RC1 (release candidate 1) due tomorrow 17-June - Page 4 - openSUSE Forums:

32-bit Gateway MX7340 (laptop), 1GB, Intel 855GM, 250GB WD HD, 
partitioned for triple-boot with Windows/XP SP3 and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

I’m surprised your 855GM worked at all ! … I’ve been struggling with the 855GM graphics since the 2.6.27 kernel in openSUSE-11.1. Some of the discussions on this are documented here:

My wife has our laptop (with the 855GM) at work, and I asked her to bring it home on Saturday morning when she returns from her all night shift. She might do that, weather permitting (she bicycles to work). If she brings it home, I will test openSUSE-11.3 RC1 on it.