Wrong joystick permissions

I am trying to use CH Products rudder pedals in X-Plane10. The program needs the user to have rw permissions on the event* entry in /dev/input. Unfortunately, when I plug in the rudder pedals, they come up with rw permissions only for root on both /dev/input/js0 and /dev/input/event13. This does not allow them to be recognized by X-Plane. I’m also using a Saitek yoke which comes up with rw permissions for both root and user on /dev/input/js1 and /dev/input/event14. The yoke is immediately recognized by X-Plane. I can get the rudder pedals recognized by plugging them in and then manually entering sudo chmod a+rw /dev/input/event13 in a bash console before entering X-plane.

Following a suggestion on the X-Plane forum, I’ve tried to get the rudder pedals recognized automatically by creating a file, 99–X-Plane_10_Joystick.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d with the line, KERNEL==“event*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“068e”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“00f2”, MODE=“0666” with 068e and 00f2 being the proper vendor and product codes for the rudder pedals. I’ve done this, rebooted, plugged in the rudder pedals and found this to have no effect. Is there a way I can get the system to automatically assign the proper permissions to the rudder pedals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

After an about a month of trying to fix this I found the following solution.
Opensuse Leap thinks that the CH Pedals are an accelerometer and not a joystick

The rule, KERNEL==“event*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“068e”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“00f2”, MODE=“0666” does not work which I assume is because opensuse is not allowing the rule to chmod the event for security reasons.

create the following file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-input-joystick.rules with this text

“CH PRODUCTS CH PRO PEDALS USB”

SUBSYSTEM==“input”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“068e”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“00f2”, ENV{ID_INPUT_ACCELEROMETER}=“0”
KERNEL==“event*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“068e”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“00f2”, ENV{ID_INPUT}=“1”, ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}=“1”

make sure you use vi or vim to create the file. I tried with kwrite and it added some unwanted characters that broke the rules.

When this rule runs udev correctly identifies the pedals and sets the appropriate rights so you dont need to set mode=“0666”

Thanks for this. It works like a charm!