'no space left on device' after zypper updated my system

Running OpenSUSE 13.2 64, I was updating my system using zypper refresh/update. Update eventually hung because it ran out of space, so I aborted the process. A system reboot later my desktop looks wonky, so I thought it was because the fglrx drivers were not properly installed, so I went by the guide here (zypper command line section.)

Added ‘radeon.modeset=0 blacklist=radeon 3’ to the boot options and F10’d to boot. System started to boot up, however it hung during boot. I hit ctrl+alt+1 to get to a console, logged in as root, and executed the mkinitrd command to continue following the guide.

Next time I reboot, I get ‘no space left on device’ messages from system-update, and then access to the console. When I log in as root, tab completion does not function ‘not enough space in /tmp.’

As you can tell, I don’t really know what I’m doing at this point, and I’d appreciate any help to solve this issue. Here are two capture of the console running dh & dh -i:

http://i.imgur.com/MI7GWFw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6v5UCJ0.jpg

Thank you!

Hi
Looks like you using btrfs, the df commands are erroneous, use;

btrfs filesystem show /
btrfs filesystem usage /
snapper list

If you haven’t configured snapper you may have addition snapshots that are not needed…

Snapper snapshots is eating space. Reduce the usage. or turn it off if you don’t use it anyway. 22 gig is too small for snapper need at minimum 40 gig for root.

I recommend turn it off or removing it. There is a snapper mod in Yast and there are command line options

Thank you! Your solution worked.

I’m going to read that ‘new users read this thread about snapper’ now.

Is it common for btrfs filesystem show to report using 100% of the partition? I’m referring to that last line. I’ve deleted many of the snapper entries and removed the snapper-zypp-plugin.

btrfs filesystem show /
Label: none uuid: 99253be9-470e-4db3-a1f5-d3a586f67fbf
Total devices 1 FS bytes used 10.92GiB
devid 1 size 21.82GiB used 21.82GiB path /dev/sdc2

Hi
So you need to clean it up now so the btrfs filesystem knows…

zypper in btrfsmaintenance
btrfs filesystem usage /
/usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-balance.sh
btrfs filesystem usage /

It may take awhile to run the balance…

On 2015-08-28 01:16, bluemoo wrote:
>
> Running OpenSUSE 13.2 64, I was updating my system using zypper
> refresh/update. Update eventually hung because it ran out of space, so I
> aborted the process. A system reboot later my desktop looks wonky,

Never reboot in these circumstances. First solve the problem, then
finish the update, then you may reboot.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))