How to play streams for iTunes in Amarok

Hi,

This is about OpenSUSE → KDE → Amarok and I am unwilling to use other software.

One (for me) important radio station performs two streams. One is for Windows media player (thus irrelevant) and the other is for iTunes. This:

http://stream.omroepgelderland.nl/radiogelderland/pls.php

It works fine under Amarok in Kubuntu, but under OpenSUSE it does nothing, not even an error message.

Any idea how to play this stream by Amarok?

Have you installed all necessary multimedia codecs?

I don’t know wich format this stream uses, but first check that gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 is installed, that’s needed for MP3 support.

If that doesn’t help, see here e.g.: openSUSE 13.1 Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - Open Chat - openSUSE Forums
Or just add the Packman repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories, and install the following packages:
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon, gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon, gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg
That should cover all possible multimedia formats.

It might be a good idea to do a “full repository vendor change” update to the Packman repo as well:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update#Full_repository_Vendor_change

If you use phonon-backend-vlc though (check in “Configure Desktop”/“Systemsetting”->“Multimedia”->Backend), you should install “vlc-codecs”, also available on Packman.

If nothing of the above helps, please post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

iTunes streams are HE-AAC LC streams.

You’ll need gstreamer-plugins-bad from Packman.

Or gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon rather, as I wrote. :wink:

Amarok doesn’t use gstreamer, it uses KDE’s Phonon.
And the phonon-backend-gstreamer in 13.1 only supports gstreamer-0_10.

I should stop posting before I’ve had my coffee :frowning:

Hello.

Do as Wolfi and Miuku told you.

The channel plays just fine through AmaroK here, so it’s just a matter of setting up your openSUSE multimedia system properly.

I use phonon-gstreamer.