13.1 and bumblebee not found

Hello , i’m trying install bumblebee from http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.cz/2013/10/opensuse-131-nvidia-optimus-bumblebee.html

İ have a problem Install packages and enable services.(part 10 )

zypper in dkms dkms-nvidia dkms-bbswitch bumblebee primus x11-video-nvidia

says

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘bumblebee’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘bumblebee’ found.
‘dkms’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘dkms’ found.
‘dkms-bbswitch’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘dkms-bbswitch’ found.
‘dkms-nvidia’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘dkms-nvidia’ found.
‘primus’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘primus’ found.
‘x11-video-nvidia’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘x11-video-nvidia’ found.
Resolving package dependencies…

Nothing to do.

What is my problem why get the not found error.

Because Overman’s repo is empty, all packages have been removed.

The repo’s descriptions states now:

“Laptop” was deleted. Please use X11:Bumblebee.

So do that, the repo’s URL is: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/
But the packages are named slightly different there, and split differently. F.e. there’s only nvidia-bumblebee which contains all of the nvidia driver.
Just use YaST’s repositories view to install all necessary packages.
Those should suffice I’d say: bbswitch-kmp-xxx (according to your kernel), bumblebee, nvidia-bumblebee, primus (and primus-32bit maybe).

Or use Knurpht’s packages instead: Bumblebee + DKMS + NVIDIA on openSUSE - Open Chat - openSUSE Forums

thanks for helping but now

optirun glxgears

1436.264899] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled

1436.264937] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

Then the nvidia driver is not properly installed I suppose. And nouveau doesn’t work because KMS is disabled.
What packages did you install now?

Maybe you should try bbswitch-dkms (and dkms) instead of bbswitch-kmp-xxx.

I’m afraid I cannot help you further though. I never had an Optimus system myself and have never used Bumblebee.

PS: If you’re using the X11:Bumblebee repo, you apparently need to install VirtualGL (available in that repo) as well.

Is nouveau not blacklisted, like it was with the Overman79 repo? How do I do that manually? Also, I installed both bbswitch-dkms and bbswitch-kmp-desktop. Are you only supposed to install one of them?

I found this thread: ‘Need help installing bumblebee - Hardware - openSUSE Forums’, where they told you to set “NO_KMS_IN_INITRD” to “no”, but I already have it set that way.

You shouldn’t have to do it manually. If you would have to, that error message wouldn’t say “KMS not enabled”.

Also, I installed both bbswitch-dkms and bbswitch-kmp-desktop. Are you only supposed to install one of them?

I think it’s either/or. bbswitch-kmp-desktop contains a pre-compiled kernel module, bbswitch-dkms sets up automatic compilation via dkms.

I found this thread: ‘Need help installing bumblebee - Hardware - openSUSE Forums’, where they told you to set “NO_KMS_IN_INITRD” to “no”, but I already have it set that way.

That prevents the nouveau driver from being loaded in the initrd.
But you have to run “sudo /sbin/mkinitrd” afterwards for the change to take effect.

Now it seems to work after setting driver=nvidia in the Bumblebee settings, Nouveau is still loaded though.

Hm, nouveau should not be loaded if “KMS not enabled”.
How do you judge that it is loaded?

What does “optirun glxinfo|grep -i opengl” say? (you might have to install Mesa-demo-x first)

I just tested the new repo, what I had to do was:

1. Add my user to the bumblebee group, no change from Overmans repo
  2. Enable bumblebeed service, no change from Overmans repo
  3. Blacklisting nouveau, and that’s new from Overmans repo. Just added “blacklist nouveau” to /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf and ran mkinitrd.
    And yes nouveau was loaded before i blacklisted it and I got the above errormessage, but it didn’t prevent bbswitch from powering off the card.

“KMS not enabled” is disabled.

> lsmod | grep nouveau
nouveau              1013347  0 
ttm                    92265  1 nouveau
mxm_wmi                13021  1 nouveau
wmi                    19070  2 nouveau,mxm_wmi
drm_kms_helper         52710  2 nouveau,i915
i2c_algo_bit           13413  2 nouveau,i915
button                 13952  2 nouveau,i915
video                  19507  2 nouveau,i915
drm                   313440  13 nvidia,nouveau,ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper
> optirun glxinfo|grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 740M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 334.21
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 334.21
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

So everything is ok I would say.

optirun is indeed using the nvidia driver.

~> zypper se VirtualGL
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name            | Summary                                       | Type      
--+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------+-----------
i | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL application-> | package   
  | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL application-> | srcpackage
i | VirtualGL-32bit | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL application-> | package   
  | VirtualGL-devel | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL application-> | package   

~>optirun glxinfo|grep -i opengl
 9094.886584] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled

9094.886657] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

~> lsmod | grep nouveau
nouveau              1013347  0 
ttm                    92265  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         52710  2 nouveau,i915
mxm_wmi                13021  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit           13413  2 nouveau,i915
wmi                    19070  3 clevo_wmi,nouveau,mxm_wmi
video                  19507  2 nouveau,i915
button                 13952  2 nouveau,i915
drm                   313440  7 nouveau,i915,ttm,drm_kms_helper

That error message is from the virtual xorg server where optirun is running, so it has nothing to do with the hosts xorg server. Just blacklist nouveau, add the following line “blacklist nouveau” to /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf and run the command mkinitrd, reboot and it should work.

finally,its work.Thanks