kernel 3.14.1 breaks the ATI proprietary installer. Bug already filed with ATI

I’m posting here in case anyone else has a problem. It seems that the new kernel 3.14.1 has changes that break the ATI proprietary fglrx installer. I have already filed a bug at the ATI bug reporting forum. Perhaps Sebastian Siebert can have a look and make something of the fglrx-install.log file I’m pasting. Graphics card is a Radeon HD7870, four CPU cores running at 2.6 GHz, and 12GB of ECC registered RAM. Using the ATI 14.3 beta installer, which worked perfectly on previous kernels. Running openSUSE 13.1 with current updates.

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading radeon module...
ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
ERROR: Module drm is in use by radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-default/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-obj/x86_64/default'
  CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_GetEffectiveUid’:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1764:5: error: incompatible types when returning type ‘kuid_t’ but ‘KCL_TYPE_Uid’ was expected
     return current_euid();
     ^
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1770:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function -Wreturn-type]
 }
 ^
make[4]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-obj/x86_64/default'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : mkinitrd

The bug report at the ATI forum may be found at:
http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1049

The drivers don’t support the 3.14 kernel yet. The stable driver (13.9) supports up to kernel 3.11 and the beta supports up to 3.13, you can find it in the release notes.

Sebastian Siebert’s installer script contains a patch that should make the beta driver work with kernel 3.14:
http://www.sebastian-siebert.de/2014/03/21/opensuse-proprietaeren-grafik-treiber-amd-catalyst-14-3-beta-v1-0-als-rpm-installieren/

From the changelog:

# Changelog:

# Version 5.42 - add support for AMD Catalyst 14.3 beta V1.0
#              - update the packaging script for support up Kernel 3.14

@purevw:
Apparently you are installing it for kernel 3.14.0, not 3.14.1:

make -C /lib/modules/3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-default/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modulesmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-obj/x86_64/default'
  CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_GetEffectiveUid’:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1764:5: error: incompatible types when returning type ‘kuid_t’ but ‘KCL_TYPE_Uid’ was expected
     return current_euid();
     ^
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1770:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function -Wreturn-type]
 }
 ^
make[4]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.14.0-1.g79de0a7-obj/x86_64/default'

Do you have the wrong kernel-source/kernel-xxx-devel installed?

Edit: Oops, sorry. Forget that.
There is NO kernel 3.14.1 yet.
The latest stable one is actually 3.14.0 and that’s what you have installed, not 3.14.1.

Thanks for the Link. I made a typo with my kernel version. I’ll check out Sebastian’s script after work this evening after work.