New KDE official repos!

New KDE repos are online (no more version related, so no need to change them for future kde releases):
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories#Current_KDE_SC_release

Quick how-to:

• Remove old kde repos from yast;
zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Current/openSUSE_13.1/ kde-upd
zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Current_openSUSE_13.1/ kde-extra-upd
zypper dup --from kde-upd
zypper dup --from kde-extra-upd
  • Reboot.

Bye!

On 2014-04-01 16:16, ezio84 wrote:
>
> New KDE repos are online (no more version related, so no need to change
> them for future kde releases):
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories#Current_KDE_SC_release

Just a note:

If you intend to eventually use Evergreen 13.1, don’t use those repos.
You will (probably) be left in the water when the time comes, and may
have to downgrade to the standard distribution packages.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

And that is of course only to those that want to go further then the KDE that officialy belongs to openSUSE 13.1, because that is still in the normal OSS repo.

thx, yesterday my zypper dup was downgrading… (with no problem)
now i’m on KDE Current.

I suppose the change has a real purpose, as opposed to just being some random idea to keep everyone head scratching

Yes, I think this solution is better: now we have only two main repos: the OSS one for KDE 4.11 and the new Current one for KDE 4.x.x stable.

@ezio84

updated yesterday without problem,
(this was because old repos found empty)
only upgraded with later dated packages, newer installed ones left alone

if (no more version related, so no need to change them for future kde releases)
why do the new repos reference the OS?

keep smiling

This may be “easier” (or “simpler” or “standardized” or some other altruistic affectation), but it is not at all a practical change. I ran a quick search of the forums and my
mailing lists, and found an absence of notification of such an impending change. (I am somewhat sure that somewhere such a notification exists).

For the solitary single-PC user, this is a minor annoyance (delibeberately euphemistic). For one supporting 12.3 and 13.1 openSUSE platforms, this is more than a trivial amount of manual effort. For one with several PCs on KDE 4.11 and more on KDE 4.12, this becomes a significant effort.

Unless there was a crisis in the availability of mass-storage for these repos, is there a compelling reason that the prior name-structure repos could not be maintained FROZEN, for a reasonable (and stated) period of time, to facilitate the repo migration ?

If this post is considered a “rant”, that is because it is a “rant”. There was a popular term some years ago, perhaps lost to many, but remembered to those with eidetic memory. That term is “Change Management”. The importance of proper management of changes is directly proportional to the audience affected by the changes. Further, the process of change management involves levels of testing, review, audience education, notice and migration steps, along with fall-back proceduress when the audience emulated the French Revolution.

Rant ameliorating slowly …

(P:S: I have not posted in these forums recently, because (believe it or not), almost everything has been moving, shaking, upgrading and living satisfactorily, until now. I hope a rant from one conspicuously absent from discussion here is not dismissed as “… a voice full of sound and fury, … signifying nothing”).

You may feel to have a reason for a bit of rant, the only problem is that the people that decided this are most probably not visiting here.

BTW talking about chgane management and it’s brothers,deviating fom the standard KDE versions that come with the openSUSE version you run (and that are in the OSS and Update repos)) might be contrary to their purpose. IMHO you would noot have any problems with this action if you would have used the OSS/Update (the “official” release) only.

On 2014-04-02 16:36, SeanMc98 wrote:

> For the solitary single-PC user, this is a minor annoyance
> (delibeberately euphemistic). For one supporting 12.3 and 13.1 openSUSE
> platforms, this is more than a trivial amount of manual effort. For one
> with several PCs on KDE 4.11 and more on KDE 4.12, this becomes a
> significant effort.

Yes.

> Unless there was a crisis in the availability of mass-storage for these
> repos, is there a compelling reason that the prior name-structure repos
> could not be maintained FROZEN, for a reasonable (and stated) period of
> time, to facilitate the repo migration ?

True. And not the first time this happens.

So, only use these repos if you have reasons to want the newest, and
have lots of time available. Not if you are maintaining a number of
computers, or need long term.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

For kde 4.11.x there are standard repos (OSS and Update).
Btw i agree with this:

Unless there was a crisis in the availability of mass-storage for these repos, is there a compelling reason that the prior name-structure repos could not be maintained FROZEN, for a reasonable (and stated) period of time, to facilitate the repo migration ?

@ keellambert:
A lot of packages from kde 4.12 repo have been downgraded now, don’t know why lol :smiley:

Member of the KDE packaging team here.

To say that this change has been unannounced is quite a misunderstatement: it was discussed openly in the openSUSE KDE mailing list (see http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2014-03/msg00048.html),
then also posted to planet openSUSE (http://www.dennogumi.org/2014/03/being-current/). Wiki pages were also updated, etc.

It seems that no one outside the team took the (small) effort to spread the news (remember, we’re all volounteers for KDE packaging, so we can’t be on it all the time). Disappointing. Anyway, I’ve forwarded the news to the openSUSE news team so it gets even more exposure.

I also add this comment with my Board Hat this time:
It’s the responsibility of all of us, to spread the news and changes that happen in any part of our beloved project. Don’t wait someone else doing it for you! Use any kind of communication channel you have access to widely spread the news to your own contacts. Hey after all your first contribution, giving back love you receive from people doing the hard work that make openSUSE so great.

On 2014-04-03 11:26, bruno friedmann wrote:
>
> luca_b;2634700 Wrote:
>> Member of the KDE packaging team here.
>>
>> To say that this change has been unannounced is quite a
>> misunderstatement: it was discussed openly in the openSUSE KDE mailing
>> list (see http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2014-03/msg00048.html),
>> then also posted to planet openSUSE
>> (http://www.dennogumi.org/2014/03/being-current/). Wiki pages were also
>> updated, etc.
>>
>> It seems that no one outside the team took the (small) effort to spread
>> the news (remember, we’re all volounteers for KDE packaging, so we
>> can’t be on it all the time). Disappointing. Anyway, I’ve forwarded the
>> news to the openSUSE news team so it gets even more exposure.
>
> I also add this comment with my Board Hat this time:
> It’s the responsibility of all of us, to spread the news and changes
> that happen in any part of our beloved project. Don’t wait someone else
> doing it for you! Use any kind of communication channel you have access
> to widely spread the news to your own contacts. Hey after all your first
> contribution, giving back love you receive from people doing the hard
> work that make openSUSE so great.

But only the people knowing that there has been a change can give
publicity to it, in advance preferably.

The kde mail list is not read by normal users. I did not notice a post
on the main opensuse mail list, nor in the announcement forums here;
instead, I see questions starting now in there, and in other places. I
also see complains that the announcement was not forwarded to the news team.

A post to the main opensuse mail list has been sent two hours ago. I
will forward it here (opensuse.org.news.tech-news).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I was using the prior KDE SC repos and KDE 4.12.3 .

I changed the Repos to KDE:/Current and KDE:/Extra as noted in the first post in this thread.
The KDE Packages page at http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories appears to be up to date with all this activity.

I used YAST2 GUI to make the switch to the packages in new repos

Probably good (or necessary ?) idea to select “Switch System Packages” to each of these two new repos.

I ran the update, logged out then logged back in, I am now up and running KDE 4.12.4

I have 8 minutes runtime so far, all seems as it should be.

I tried now, nothing changed. So it should not be necessary (i think zypper dup --from already do the trick).

Spreaded by me and other people on FB opensuse group, here, on G+.
Thanks for your hard great work :wink: