Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: What is pixel.cgi?

  1. #1

    Default What is pixel.cgi?

    Lately I've been getting pop-ups in Seamonkey asking if I want to allow pixel.cgi to load or run or something. I don't know what it is, so I always click Canel. Often times I get that multiple times. Is it safe to allow?
    Desktop : 12.3 (x86_64) | KDE 4.10.5 "Release 1" | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Grub2 | Ext4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,716

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    You posted this in Community & Fun > General Chit-Chat. Generaly I find here all sorts of small talk (and often a lot of nonsense ). But yours seems to be e serious ask for help. If that is the case, please post here to which help (sub)forum you want this to be moved. Choose allways a (sub)forume where the chance that people knowlingy the subject might find it. That is in your interest (I guess).

    And please do not make a new post about this subject in another (sub)forum. We hate double posting. Ask for a move.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You posted this in Community & Fun > General Chit-Chat. Generaly I find here all sorts of small talk (and often a lot of nonsense ). But yours seems to be e serious ask for help. If that is the case, please post here to which help (sub)forum you want this to be moved. Choose allways a (sub)forume where the chance that people knowlingy the subject might find it. That is in your interest (I guess).

    And please do not make a new post about this subject in another (sub)forum. We hate double posting. Ask for a move.
    Sorry about that, I wasn't sure where to post it. I guess "Applications" might be the place, since it happens on SeaMonkey. If that's not the best place to move it to, feel free to choose. Thanks!
    Desktop : 12.3 (x86_64) | KDE 4.10.5 "Release 1" | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Grub2 | Ext4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,716

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    Sorry about that, I wasn't sure where to post it. I guess "Applications" might be the place, since it happens on SeaMonkey. If that's not the best place to move it to, feel free to choose. Thanks!
    Will bemoved to Applications and is CLOSED forthe moment.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,716

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Will bemoved to Applications and is CLOSED forthe moment.
    Moved from Genral-ChitChat and open again.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    I finally found some information, it looks like it may be safe, just not sure... here's the link I found:

    http://www.perlmonks.org/bare/?node_id=105985
    Desktop : 12.3 (x86_64) | KDE 4.10.5 "Release 1" | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Grub2 | Ext4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harwood, Texas
    Posts
    32

    Thumbs down Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You posted this in Community & Fun > General Chit-Chat. Generaly I find here all sorts of small talk (and often a lot of nonsense ). But yours seems to be e serious ask for help. If that is the case, please post here to which help (sub)forum you want this to be moved. Choose allways a (sub)forume where the chance that people knowlingy the subject might find it. That is in your interest (I guess).

    And please do not make a new post about this subject in another (sub)forum. We hate double posting. Ask for a move.
    the question WAS put in the wrong category. Nice of you to point that out. Not nice to be so condescending about it! Why not refer it to someone who can give a useful answer to a legitimate question. I have the same question. What to do with this troublesome file? I saved it and found it in my downloads folder with a length of 0.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,716

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitzenheimer View Post
    the question WAS put in the wrong category. Nice of you to point that out. Not nice to be so condescending about it! Why not refer it to someone who can give a useful answer to a legitimate question. I have the same question. What to do with this troublesome file? I saved it and found it in my downloads folder with a length of 0.
    Sorry, but I do not run Seamonkey (nor did your description trigger some 'aha' in me), thus I feel not fit to answer your technical question as a fellow member.

    But, as a mod, I found your thread in the wrong place. I then moved it to, what I think is, a better place to get attention from people that look into a specific (sub)forum to give help if they feel fit. I also added some comment to make you and others aware of the movement of this thread and in the hope that next time you will choose a better place for posting.

    The main goal of the movement is to give your thread a better chance to be seen by the audience that matters.

    As it turns out now, even in the Applications forum nobody seems to volunteer with an answer/suggestions or whatever. That is a pity, but barely my fault. I have no list of people running Seamonkey or any other mechanism to recrute/press people to help you.


    Only thing I can advise you is to make a bettter description then
    ... asking if I want to allow pixel.cgi to load or run or something....
    Nobody here can guess what you see. Any message you get and want communicated to us should be copied litteraly (either by copy/past ot by carefull typing).
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,915

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    On 2014-03-18 16:16, stitzenheimer wrote:

    > the question WAS put in the wrong category. Nice of you to point that
    > out. Not nice to be so condescending about it! Why not refer it to
    > someone who can give a useful answer to a legitimate question.


    How would you do that?

    This is *not* a support place where SUSE employees answer questions, and
    thus the admins know who is the proper person to answer each question.
    Instead, this is a place where users help other users, as best as we
    can, in our free time mostly.

    So moving the post to the appropriate category is the best thing the
    admins can do so that people that have knowledge it that area, which
    read that category, can notice it and answer.

    If none answers, is because none knows how to answer your questions, or
    if they do, none has see it yet.

    > I have
    > the same question. What to do with this troublesome file? I saved it
    > and found it in my downloads folder with a length of 0.


    Your question was:

    On 2014-03-08 02:26, HighBloodSugar wrote:

    > Lately I've been getting pop-ups in Seamonkey asking if I want to allow
    > pixel.cgi to load or run or something. I don't know what it is, so I
    > always click Canel. Often times I get that multiple times. Is it safe to
    > allow?


    I don't have a direct answer. I can guess. I suppose that the file comes
    from one of the pages you open. On each of the tabs, select view/Page
    Info. Scan each of the tabs, to find out if there is a reference to that
    "pixel.cgi" somewhere. You can also try "view source" and scan the text
    for that string.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: What is pixel.cgi?

    It's been a while, but still no idea what pixel.cgi is, other than maybe some sort of tracking. I really don't know. Now my only question is how to get it to stop bothering me. I tried setting Seamonkey to just save the thing, but now it asks me if I want to overwrite the previous copy. Multiple times, usually at least 3 or 4 times. Does anyone know if the "CGI" selection in helper applications can just be deleted? I see no way to do that. At this point I don't care what this does, I just don't want to see the thing anymore! I'd rather stick with Seamonkey, but if this keeps up I may be forced to switch to Firefox (assuming this doesn't happen on that, haven't tried it yet). Out of curiosity, I opened it in Kate, but it's empty. No idea how that's of any use to anyone, unless it's some sor of tracking thing.... it don't think it's a binary, Kate didn't complain about that.
    Desktop : 12.3 (x86_64) | KDE 4.10.5 "Release 1" | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Grub2 | Ext4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •