Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    45

    Question Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Hello!

    I have noticed that Suse (Gnome) doesn't seem to remember where I last had any given program's window on my screen. For instance, I use Thunderbird for email. I always adjust Thunderbird so that it is centered on my screen with the left and right sides of Thunderbird narrowed so that I can still see my desktop a bit.....but, when I exit Thunderbird and get back into it...it is auto adjusted to the Top/Left of the screen each and every time I load it.

    My Firefox and Chromium are acting similar such that when I have them in "windowed" mode and not "maximized"....they won't remember those settings when I get out and get back into them again...

    Is it just me, or is this a Suse thing or a Gnome thing? Or is there a fix perhaps?

    Thanks.

    K
    ==============================================================
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    ==============================================================

  2. #2

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    On 12/05/2013 06:56 PM, peakcomp pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have noticed that Suse (Gnome) doesn't seem to remember where I last
    > had any given program's window on my screen. For instance, I use
    > Thunderbird for email. I always adjust Thunderbird so that it is
    > centered on my screen with the left and right sides of Thunderbird
    > narrowed so that I can still see my desktop a bit.....but, when I exit
    > Thunderbird and get back into it...it is auto adjusted to the Top/Left
    > of the screen each and every time I load it.
    >
    > My Firefox and Chromium are acting similar such that when I have them in
    > "windowed" mode and not "maximized"....they won't remember those
    > settings when I get out and get back into them again...
    >
    > Is it just me, or is this a Suse thing or a Gnome thing? Or is there a
    > fix perhaps?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > K
    >
    >


    Right click on the title bar (at the top of the window) and select
    "Special Window Settings..) under "More Actions..". There you can set
    the window settings to your liking.

    Ken

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Thanks for the info!

    I tried what you said...there isn't a "special window settings" option? Pretty much just Minimize, Unmaximize, Move, Resize, Always On Top, Always On Visible Workspace, Only On This Workspace, Move to Workspace Down and finally Close.

    K

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 12/05/2013 06:56 PM, peakcomp pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have noticed that Suse (Gnome) doesn't seem to remember where I last
    > had any given program's window on my screen. For instance, I use
    > Thunderbird for email. I always adjust Thunderbird so that it is
    > centered on my screen with the left and right sides of Thunderbird
    > narrowed so that I can still see my desktop a bit.....but, when I exit
    > Thunderbird and get back into it...it is auto adjusted to the Top/Left
    > of the screen each and every time I load it.
    >
    > My Firefox and Chromium are acting similar such that when I have them in
    > "windowed" mode and not "maximized"....they won't remember those
    > settings when I get out and get back into them again...
    >
    > Is it just me, or is this a Suse thing or a Gnome thing? Or is there a
    > fix perhaps?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > K
    >
    >


    Right click on the title bar (at the top of the window) and select
    "Special Window Settings..) under "More Actions..". There you can set
    the window settings to your liking.

    Ken
    ==============================================================
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    ==============================================================

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,777

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by peakcomp View Post
    Thanks for the info!

    I tried what you said...there isn't a "special window settings" option? Pretty much just Minimize, Unmaximize, Move, Resize, Always On Top, Always On Visible Workspace, Only On This Workspace, Move to Workspace Down and finally Close.
    Right, that's a KDE feature.

    I am not aware of a similar functionality in GNOME, sorry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Anyone else have suggestions?

    I have also noticed that when viewing my files using the File Manager..that it doesn't save my preferences for LIST instead of GRID...

    Ken
    ==============================================================
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    ==============================================================

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by peakcomp View Post
    Anyone else have suggestions?

    I have also noticed that when viewing my files using the File Manager..that it doesn't save my preferences for LIST instead of GRID...

    Ken
    That resize issue with Firefox have annoyed me for ages, and I haven't found a solution for it.

    For remembering the list view in Nautilus, there should be a setting under preferences for default view. There's a top secret, hidden, bonus menu if you click where it says Files in the top panel :)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    OMG! Thank you! I didn't even think to look for the "hidden" menu if I click in the Top Panel. Usually there is no menu options there for other programs...FIXED the default view settings finally!

    The Resize issue is happening with Firefox as well as any other windows I have open (Thunderbird, Files, etc)...it always seems to default to top left. Even when I move the Window.




    Quote Originally Posted by back_space View Post
    That resize issue with Firefox have annoyed me for ages, and I haven't found a solution for it.

    For remembering the list view in Nautilus, there should be a setting under preferences for default view. There's a top secret, hidden, bonus menu if you click where it says Files in the top panel
    ==============================================================
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    ==============================================================

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by peakcomp View Post
    OMG! Thank you! I didn't even think to look for the "hidden" menu if I click in the Top Panel. Usually there is no menu options there for other programs...FIXED the default view settings finally!

    The Resize issue is happening with Firefox as well as any other windows I have open (Thunderbird, Files, etc)...it always seems to default to top left. Even when I move the Window.
    That's why it's not glaringly obvious that it's there. GNOME apps, like the terminal and image viewer, tend to use it though. It's quite nifty when you're aware of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,300

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    peakcomp wrote:
    >
    > OMG! Thank you! I didn't even think to look for the "hidden" menu if I
    > click in the Top Panel. Usually there is no menu options there for
    > other programs...FIXED the default view settings finally!
    >
    > The Resize issue is happening with Firefox as well as any other windows
    > I have open (Thunderbird, Files, etc)...it always seems to default to
    > top left. Even when I move the Window.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > back_space;2607147 Wrote:
    >> That resize issue with Firefox have annoyed me for ages, and I haven't
    >> found a solution for it.
    >>
    >> For remembering the list view in Nautilus, there should be a setting
    >> under preferences for default view. There's a top secret, hidden, bonus
    >> menu if you click where it says Files in the top panel

    >
    >

    You can easily switch between list and grid using the icons in nautilus
    Red-List
    Blue-Grid



    --
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    Where are my penguins :- https://features.opensuse.org/316767

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,300

    Default Re: Window Size & Position - Suse 13.1 / Gnome

    peakcomp wrote:
    >
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have noticed that Suse (Gnome) doesn't seem to remember where I last
    > had any given program's window on my screen. For instance, I use
    > Thunderbird for email. I always adjust Thunderbird so that it is
    > centered on my screen with the left and right sides of Thunderbird
    > narrowed so that I can still see my desktop a bit.....but, when I exit
    > Thunderbird and get back into it...it is auto adjusted to the Top/Left
    > of the screen each and every time I load it.


    Try these shortcuts to maxmize,minimize,move application to left and
    move app to right

    win key+ up, win key+ down, win key+ left, win key+ right
    --
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    Where are my penguins :- https://features.opensuse.org/316767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •