Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

  1. #1

    Default openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    Hi guys.

    I need some help please. I attended the SUSEcon 2013 this week, and I was given a 13.1 disc (Special edition) early release version. Really excited I went out and purchased a new Asus notebook with integrated intel card with nvidia discreet. After flawless install, I downloaded the nvidia drivers from the website, and commenced following the process depicted in the SDB (Hard way). After reboot, I got a 'something's gone wrong' error message, and I messed up the system. I'm new to nvidia, and how it works under openSUSE (normaly use ATI cards), and I'm usure at the moment what I need todo? Can anybody help me with getting my card going? Also, how do I know if my current configuration is using the intel card, or nvidia card with nouveau?

    Thanks guys,
    Martin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    23,057

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    On 2013-11-14 21:36, dabump wrote:
    >
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I need some help please. I attended the SUSEcon 2013 this week, and I
    > was given a 13.1 disc (Special edition) early release version. Really
    > excited I went out and purchased a new Asus notebook with integrated
    > intel card with nvidia discreet.


    You need bumblebee. Or equivalent proprietary thing, not the standard
    driver. Somebody else may explain better than me.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    The proprietary Nvidia driver does not support optimus tecnology in Linux (at least, until now) ...
    What's the model of your Asus notebook?
    What options have you got in the bios (or UEFI firmware)?
    I suppose you can choose between optimus and dedicated GPU.
    If you select the latter the system should boot (if the installation of the driver is correct).
    I'd also like to know if there is an option to select only the integrated graphic card ...

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by PiElle View Post
    The proprietary Nvidia driver does not support optimus tecnology in Linux (at least, until now) ...
    What's the model of your Asus notebook?
    What options have you got in the bios (or UEFI firmware)?
    I suppose you can choose between optimus and dedicated GPU.
    If you select the latter the system should boot (if the installation of the driver is correct).
    I'd also like to know if there is an option to select only the integrated graphic card ...
    Hi PiElle, thank you for replying. The notebook's model number is: Asus Q550L with UEFI firmware. I looked at the BIOS, and cannot see any location for selecting the preferred graphics card. I must say, I'm not too fussed about battery life, and switching between the two graphics cards based on performance requirements. I just want the nvidia drivers to be installed and function, and use the nvidia graphics card.

    Any ideas? AGain, thanks for helping

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    23,057

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    On 2013-11-14 22:36, dabump wrote:

    > Any ideas? AGain, thanks for helping


    Bumblebee - NVIDIA Optimus support
    for Linux!


    They have an utility to switch driver. The plain nvidia driver will not
    work, you need one for optimus.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skogås Sweden
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    If the laptop is that new I'd say the best option is to return it and go for a non hybrid system, note there are AMD hybrids too, not much better for Linux than Optimus systems.
    If you still prefer to keep it there's nowadays good help, go for this guide:
    Smithfarm - the Brain: openSUSE 12.3: How to install 'bumblebee' for NVIDIA Optimus VGA

    As you installed The Nvidia driver the "hard way" in addition to unistall it you will also have to reinstall the package xorg-x11-server, the nvidia-installer overwrote an opengl file.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skogås Sweden
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    Oh, I forgot you're on 13.1, but Overman79 has a working repo for that too, just change 12.3 to 13.1 in the adress.
    Also don't use zypper to install dkms-nvidia, x11-video-nvidia and x11-video-nvidia-32bit, zypper will install the 331.20 versions which don't work yet. Use Yast where you can select the 325.15 versions for those packages.

  8. #8

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    Hi, I bought a dell inspiron 7537 laptop. and I can't get the nvidia gt 750M driver working. I installed the same driver like at the beginning of this post, with the same result. Can you help me with this ? In the bios is no option to me to turn up the optimus technology. I installed opensuse in legacy boot mode, and I formated my harddrive, and deleted windows 8, it's urgent, thanks..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    14,169
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by aralmim View Post
    Hi, I bought a dell inspiron 7537 laptop. and I can't get the nvidia gt 750M driver working. I installed the same driver like at the beginning of this post, with the same result. Can you help me with this ? In the bios is no option to me to turn up the optimus technology. I installed opensuse in legacy boot mode, and I formated my harddrive, and deleted windows 8, it's urgent, thanks..
    Hi, welcome.

    You need bumblebee to get the NVIDIA driver working on an Optimus config laptop. https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/kn...-opensuse-153/ has instructions to get it working, but mind to remove all traces of the current NVIDIA install, reboot after that before following instructions. Plus, don't forget to add your user to the bumblebee group after having performed the dkms-nvidia install.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 64 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE Factory + KDE
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 2 x 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Factory + KDE

    Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10

    Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 GM and Nvidia drivers

    HI, thank you your answear, I haven't installed any Nvidia driver, because Opensuse used automatically the Intel Haswel graphics driver, so I have nothing to remove, right ? Because I wan to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •