Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

1. Default Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

Hi guys

I have been trying to install the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers on my 13.1 install but I just can't get it to work. I have a Geforce 6 series card and have tried installing them 'the hard way' only to find that I keep getting errors about nouveau not being blacklisted (which I've done) and an X session already being active (which I keep quitting). Can someone please just give me a simple, step by step guide to getting the drivers installed. It's driving me crazy. I'm not a Linux noob but I have never installed the Nvidia drivers manually as I am just transitioning over to Opensuse from Linux Mint. As much as I love Mint, Ubuntu seem hell-bent on going their own way, splintering off from the larger community and leaving Ubuntu-based distros in the lurch. Please someone help.

Many thanks

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

Quote Originally Posted by notthenewsreader View Post
    Hi guys

I have been trying to install the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers on my 13.1 install but I just can't get it to work. I have a Geforce 6 series card and have tried installing them 'the hard way' only to find that I keep getting errors about nouveau not being blacklisted (which I've done) and an X session already being active (which I keep quitting). Can someone please just give me a simple, step by step guide to getting the drivers installed. It's driving me crazy. I'm not a Linux noob but I have never installed the Nvidia drivers manually as I am just transitioning over to Opensuse from Linux Mint. As much as I love Mint, Ubuntu seem hell-bent on going their own way, splintering off from the larger community and leaving Ubuntu-based distros in the lurch. Please someone help.

Many thanks
    Until nVIDIA comes out with a newer driver, the main line version does not work with kernel 3.11 or 3.12. I have had good luck with the open source driver which works well for me. You can stick with openSUSE 12.3 and use kernel 3.10 if you want the proprietary video driver to work.

For the latest kernel and open source video driver, look here: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...-versions-134/

And on Installing the latest nVIDIA driver I have a blog here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 21-Oct-2013 at 15:05.
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Until nVIDIA comes out with a newer driver, the main line version does not work with kernel 3.11 or 3.12.
    Well, there _is_ a patch floating around which makes the 304.108 driver (which you need for GeForce 6) work with kernel 3.11:
    SlackBlogs: Linux Kernel 3.11, VMWare Workstation, and NVidia Legacy Drivers

I downloaded this modified run script. It worked great.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqzoqt6a70sz1h6/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-325.15-custom.run
    Hope it works for all.

Quote Originally Posted by miwuker View Post
    Hope it works for all.
    No, this _won't_ work for the OP, since he has a GeForce 6 series card which is _not_ supported by any nvidia driver version higher than 304.xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, this _won't_ work for the OP, since he has a GeForce 6 series card which is _not_ supported by any nvidia driver version higher than 304.xxx.
    Well, if it does work as advertised, it's a good thing Miwurker posted it, since a lot of people with NVidia cards and SUSE 13.1 will be looking at this thread for a solution before a working version is made available through OBS. I'll try it out on my 660 tomorrow and post the results on this thread.
    The patched script originates from this thread:
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...3-11-1-kernel/

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Nvidia was going to finally "play nice" and work with the Linux community. Has this happened yet? If not, how long before this new and friendlier Nvidia comes through as promised? I can't use some programs that need the Nvidia driver and this is driving me crazy. Any word on how long before they come out with a new driver that works? If I find out from Nvidia, I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by miwuker View Post
    Hope it works for all.
    I can confirm that it works on a GTX 660. However, I'm still getting some OpenGL rendering issues, such as tearing and blurry text, and OpenGL 3 doesn't work at all.

Cool Re: Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run works for me, installs fine, Ran it one time to disable the Neavau drivers, rebooted and ran it again to install the Nvidia drivers. Running RC2 x_64.
    Jack

Default AW: Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

For older Cards, there is a 304.1160 driver, witch works with kernel 3.11.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast