Skype client on OpenSUSE 13.1 RC1 64 bit

Skype client installation for OpenSUSE 13.1 RC1:
skype-4.2.0.11-suse.i586.rpm

1. Download The lates skype client for OpenSUSE as an RPM file, 32 bit version is fine.
  2. Start YaST2, add a software repository with a local path pointing to the downloaded RPM file.
  3. In YaST2 software management search for Skype and follow the standard installation routine.
    It worked for me on OpenSUSE 13.1 RC1 64 bit and it was as easy as pie.
    A working soundsystem and a camera are required to use all features of the Skype client.

Also working for me BUT webcam NOT.

If you run into the problem of a loud sound coming out of your speaker instead of the usual happy Skype sounds, try starting skype like this:

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype

See PulseAudio 4.0 and Skype for more.

Also for me the RC1 64 bit worked fine but not the final distribution, got the alarm: Echo/sound test service: Problem with audio playback.
Somewhere in the net was instruction: install alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit using yast.
Now skype works as usually.

impo

Thanks to all. But I think it will be just time for skype to be compiled for x64 arh. on opensuse. I can’t understand why they didn’t do it yet. I’m really anointed with double installs for the same function. It look like that we all uses linux just like a toy on old 32nit machines. Thanks again.

Well, it’s closed-source, proprietary software.
You can’t just compile it for 64bit.

At least no one other than Microsoft can.

On 12/01/2013 04:26 AM, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> cingulingu1;2604134 Wrote:
>> Thanks to all. But I think it will be just time for skype to be compiled
>> for x64 arh. on opensuse. I can’t understand why they didn’t do it yet.
> Well, it’s closed-source, proprietary software.
> You can’t just compile it for 64bit.

I agree. For most applications, and certainly for drivers, it is generally not
possible to take a 32-bit program and simply recompile it. The difference
between a pointer being 32 bits, and suddenly jumping to 64 bits can cause many
subtle problems unless the coding was done correctly in the first instance. In
some cases, the compiler will warn of the problem, but in others, the first
indication of problems will be a segmentation fault, or incorrect results.
Better to run some 32-bit libraries than to have skype crash because you hit a
path the skype engineers had not tested.

Sorry to read of your Skype problems.

I use two old 32-bit machine with GNU/Linux (openSUSE). Neither are toys and I obtain good use of them.

I think ‘all’ is more an expression of understandable frustration, than an accurate assessment.

Again, sorry to read of your Skype problems.

manythanks, I solved in my fresh installation of 13.1 on my samsung RV520 laptop, as your link say I modified the line of /usr/share/application/skype.desktop

Exec=skype %U
in
Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

you and the site also suggest to use only

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype

is there any difference between the two solutions??

then, the first time I tried to modify the line in this way:
as superuser in dolphin rightclick>skype.desktop>properties>application-tab in the command field I inserted
env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

but it result in an endless update system configuration, is this a bug??
then I modified the file with kwrite as superuser and now it works,

manythanks, :slight_smile: ciao :slight_smile: pier

Yes, the first one applies when you run Skype from the icon in the application launcher, the second one is what you should type in a terminal window if you want to run it from there.

then, the first time I tried to modify the line in this way:
as superuser in dolphin rightclick>skype.desktop>properties>application-tab in the command field I inserted
env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

Don’t do this as super user. In that case it would only apply for the super user, i.e. when you run it as normal user it still would not work.
You would have to do this as user to have effect for that user.

but it result in an endless update system configuration, is this a bug??

Yes. I had this problem in KDE3 already, ~10 years ago.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=166792
The configuration change is saved though, what doesn’t work (under certain circumstances) is the notifying of KDE and all apps of the changes.
Just run “kbuildsycoca4” manually, or log out/in to make everything aware of the configuration change.

then I modified the file with kwrite as superuser and now it works,

That’s the correct way to do it, this applies to all users.

I about know that. And I think that is a part of the problem.

I know that too. All that I’m saying is, that the 64x architecture is not just an option any more. And it will be just about time for M$ to do they homework.

I didn’t mean that the old 32bit arh. machines are ready to throw them away. On the contrary. I have 2 of them for special purposes (DNS,DHCP,LDAP,Proxy,…servers). But as they are configured, I just do not use them for stuff like skype,browsing,… Although they are more then enough to do that. And may be they will, as they third life.

Conclusion:
I’m aware of all the pro and cont, about 64bit arh. And yes… I’m talking about it from frustration. I just can’t understand (technically speaking) why it was not done yet. Remember! Skype was compiled for GNU/linux/opensuse around 2003 (more or less). So it has passed more then 10 years from than on. And is always the same sorry…

P.S. They are 64bit version for other distributions. And Look at the version of opensuse for witch was compiled the current version. That says it all…

And merry Christmas to all.

Please, can you provide your reference for this statement that there are 64-bit versions for other distributions ? I just checked the Skype website here: Download Skype on your computer - Windows, Mac, and Linux - Get Skype for EVERY distribution, and for EVERY distribution there is only 32-bit. So I would be most interested in being educated further on this how other distributions are producing 64-bit versions for this proprietary software ?

My suspicion is there are no 64-bit versions for any GNU/Linux distribution, but rather there is only 64-bit packaging of 32-bit versions of Skype by same distributions.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Sorry. I forgot to add “in the past versions”. Like: Skype for Ubuntu (64-Bit) 2.1.0.81 BETA ,…

Please, can you check to see what the file content is inside the .deb for that Skype for Ubuntu (64-Bit) 2.1.0.81 BETA … I ask because I am curious if it is just a 32-bit Skype in a 64-bit .deb wrapper, or if it is a ‘beta-version’ of a 64-bit Skype.

I also ask because it is quite clear from the Skype website (last I looked) that there are only 32-bit versions of Skype available from Microsoft.

Sorry, but NO. I’m not using ubuntu any more and don’t have that version of skype for at least 5 years, may be more. And actually I don’t see the use of it.
My point is simple. I can understand that it is difficult to compile it for x64. But came-on. Now we are in 2014. That storey just don’t stand any more.

I understand your point and agree that 64-bit is very common today (mostly more common than 32-bit).

However my point is this software is proprietary. The source code is NOT available. Microsoft have only made available a 32-bit binary. They have not made available a 64-bit binary. Without the source code it is impossible to compile this for x64. I need to emphasize that point. Without the source code being released it is impossible for anyone other than Microsoft to compile this for x64.

Hence that is the origin for my belief that when you saw a 64-bit packaged version of Skype in another distribution, it was in fact a 32-bit version of Skype, with an additional package or two included, to ensure the 32-bit Skype runs well on a 64-bit GNU/Linux.

ie My view is to the best of my knowledge, with my having checked a number of times (for the little that is worth) , is that there is NO 64-bit version of Skype. Skype is proprietary software and no 64-bit version has been provided. Skype is ONLY provided as 32-bit.

Am I missing something in my efforts to explain what I see here ?

Kind regards …

oldcpu

Thanks, I had that problem and your suggestion fixed it!

-SUSEbus

OK… let leave the discussion about the x64, it make no sense.
But finally I make Skype work as I wanted. The main problem was, when I close the session in KDE with the skype opened (log out,shutdown,restart,…) and then reopened (login) in to the KDE, Skype started automatically. It started without the parameters for the audio latency: “PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U” specified in “skype.desktop” file, as described before in this discussion. So, I did some research and found the problem. It is resided in the session auto restore. When an app. is left open in the session the kde (by defoult) try to restore it.
The FIX is quite simple, just add " skype " in the small window under “start” System Settings → Startup and shutdown → Session Management. under: Applications to be excluded from sessions. And for those of you who want skype to be executed at start up with the parameters for the latency, just add skype to: Autostart → Desktop File → Add program → and point to skype ( skype.desktop with modified exec=PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U ). Now it is working as it should, at start up. :
Just to let you know. Shore it can be done threw the startup script but I don’t like to mess the default calls for programs. So, if the skype finaly update for 13.1, theoretically, the config can stays as before (No harm)

skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64.rpm

% rpm -i --test -v skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libqt4-32bit is needed by skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64
libQtWebKit4-32bit is needed by skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64
xorg-x11-libXv-32bit is needed by skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64
libXss1-32bit is needed by skype-4.2.0.11-1.x86_64

2akbgf](https://forums.opensuse.org/member.php/78677-akbgf)

And what exactly do you want to say?