Thread: Windows 7 and openSUSE 12.3 dual-boot

Default Windows 7 and openSUSE 12.3 dual-boot

Hello everyone. I have Windows 7 installed and wish to create a partition with openSUSE 12.3 on it. I've used the Windows Disk Management tool to create the unallocated space for the partition and defragmented the HDD I'm installing openSUSE on. I have two hard drives in total with 3 partitions in total:

Code:
    SSD
    (C:) - 120GB SSD with Windows installed
    2TB HDD
    (E:) - 1.4TB main partition.
    (F:) - 300GB games partition.
    I shrunk E: from 1.5TB to 1.4TB to create the 104200MB space needed for the Linux installation. I defragmented E: and F: before attempting to install openSUSE. I got the following error when I tried to install openSUSE:
    http://i.imgur.com/DEqglBL.jpg

Note that all of my drives and partitions are NTFS as shown in the image below:
    http://i.imgur.com/nebex76.png

Here's a screenshot of the Disk Defragmenter from last night before I tried to install:
    http://i.imgur.com/tv3qSje.png

I hope someone can help me with this. I want to get openSUSE up and running and use it as my primary OS for developing.
    Thanks in advance!

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Windows 7 and openSUSE 12.3 dual-boot

openSUSE installer is *probably* unable to view the unallocated space because it is sitting in-between two win partitions. i *think* the unallocated space should be at the end of the *disk*
    Then again i might be wrong.
    Did you try the *live* versions of isos to check whether your hardware is linux compatible ?
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reply. I did not. I downloaded the complete ISO because I have to download big stuff off-peak (at 2am) due to bandwidth limits with Australian ISPs.

On most notebooks you will get 2 partitions with Windows 7. You can delete the second one.
    Another method is using Gparted: GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
    You can get partitions smaller with that on a easy way.

How do you like to install openSUSE between Windows? Windows 7 can destroy Grub, if he would be installed in the MBR. That can be a problem after every Windows-Update!
    Create a separate /boot-partition and you don` t get any technical problems between both opeerating systems in dual-boot.

Thanks for your input, Ada. I will try using GParted, however I have not created a partition yet. I was going to let GRUB do that for me.

As I already mentioned in the thread, I'm wanting to create a separate partition using the 100GB that I left unallocated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JheeBz View Post
    Thanks for your input, Ada. I will try using GParted, however I have not created a partition yet. I was going to let GRUB do that for me.

As I already mentioned in the thread, I'm wanting to create a separate partition using the 100GB that I left unallocated.
    There's probably a reason you cannot use that. Perhaps you already have 4 partitions allocated, and there is no space in the partition table for another.

You need to provide the output of:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    and use code tags to post that.
    opensuse factory; KDE 4.13.2 (main desktop);
    opensuse 13.1, KDE 4.11.5 (laptop);

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There's probably a reason you cannot use that. Perhaps you already have 4 partitions allocated, and there is no space in the partition table for another.

You need to provide the output of:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    and use code tags to post that.
    As far as I know Windows hasn't had that command since Windows ME.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JheeBz View Post
    As far as I know Windows hasn't had that command since Windows ME.
    Boot the install DVD in rescue mode to run the command. Redirect the output to a file on a mounted USB, so that you can later post it. Or boot a live linux system (the gparted disk, the UBCD disk, the gparted magic disk, an open suse live disk) to run that command.
    opensuse factory; KDE 4.13.2 (main desktop);
    opensuse 13.1, KDE 4.11.5 (laptop);

There maybe partitions that Windows does not show. Windows lies a lot

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    There maybe partitions that Windows does not show. Windows lies a lot
    That`s, why I hate Windows 7 so much. You have technical problems in combination with Linux without any end, if you wouldn`t create Linux on separate partitions (and GRUB not into MBR!).
    Yes. You can do all with any other Linux Live CD and using the CLI. Somebody, who wants to test Linux, can have problems with that.
    GParted is a Linux Live CD, too. The feature is, that you can do that all without any commands. GParted is doing all for you!

I have used that during my education. After some years of experience I was able to do that without GParted and I didn`t use Windows any more.
    The TO is a Windows-User and a beginner in Linux. I think, GParted would be the best way.