Comments on 13.1 Milestone 1

Milestone 1 was released yesterday. They forgot to update the web page with links, but I managed to find it and download anyway. That problem has since been fixed.

I tried the 32-bit live KDE. It seemed okay, but KDE is still at 4.10.2.

Today, I decided to install anyway, using the DVD image (written to a USB). The install went smoothly. The network was fine following install, and without needing an additional reboot. I installed both KDE and Gnome, but I have not yet tested Gnome.

It seems to be configured to use the 12.3 repos. I guess I’ll need to change that to factory before I attempt to install anything.

openSUSE 13.1 Milestone 1

• KDE branding is upstream
  • System is still using 12.3 repos, need to change manually

source:-
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Most_annoying_bugs_13.1_dev

nrickert wrote:

>
> Milestone 1 was released yesterday. They forgot to update the web page
> with links, but I managed to find it and download anyway. That problem
> has since been fixed.
>
> I tried the 32-bit live KDE. It seemed okay, but KDE is still at
> 4.10.2.
>
> Today, I decided to install anyway, using the DVD image (written to a
> USB). The install went smoothly. The network was fine following
> install, and without needing an additional reboot. I installed both KDE
> and Gnome, but I have not yet tested Gnome.
>
> It seems to be configured to use the 12.3 repos. I guess I’ll need to
> change that to factory before I attempt to install anything.
>

I also installed from 32 bit DVD image using USB stick into netbook.
No installation problems and seems working well.

My main purpose was check HUAWEI E3276 4G LT USB modem support.
Unfortunately it did not worked.

Viljo

On Sat, 18 May 2013 23:16:01 GMT
nrickert <nrickert@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> It seems to be configured to use the 12.3 repos. I guess I’ll need to
> change that to factory before I attempt to install anything.

Yes, that’s normal for betas.

I’ve had two trouble-tree installs but third machine refuses to install
from DVD, just freezing directly after the ‘Probing EDD’ message has
come up as ‘OK.’

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.3 (64-bit); KDE 4.10.3; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 3.9.2; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

I downloaded the full 64 bit DVD. I tried running an update to my install of 12.3 and that worked fine. I then tried a clean install (4 times) but no bootloader was installed. It may just be an issue with uefi based systems.

I installed the milestone too at my test laptop. Besides the known “most annoying bugs” it works so far.
One thing I noticed are new network device names:

hendrik@lthendrik:~> ip link 
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:0b:5d:c7:3e:b0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp6s5: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DORMANT qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:13:ce:f2:6a:35 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Is this an intended change?

lo: still good old loopback
enp2s0: LAN-device, former eth0
wlp6s5: WLAN-device, former eth1

And what is the schema behind theses names?

Hendrik

PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Interesting. Thanks.

I noticed the name change. I don’t do anything that depends on particular network device names, so I wasn’t bothered by the change.

After reading your link, I’m inclined to think it is a good idea.

Plymouth

Having removed plymouth from 12.3, I decided to try not installing it. So, in the software selection part of install (from 32-bit DVD), I deselected everything plymouth related. The install went fine, with no plymouth.

On the running system, I first switched the repos to factory (instead of 12.3). I installed a couple of additional items. And that brought back plymouth. I guess I should have made sure to deselect plymouth again in the first software update.

Well, never mind. This is a test install, so I might as well test plymouth. I can remove later.

Gnome 3.8 on old hardware

My install was on an older 32-bit box. My primary reason for installing was to see what happened with Gnome 3.8.1. From using Gnome 3.8 on Tumbleweed, I already knew that fallback mode no longer existed.

On the computer where I installed, the graphics is an older ATI card with the radeon driver. With previous versions of Gnome 3, either it would force me into fallback mode, or it would crash and burn until I could find a command-line way of forcing fallback before I logged in with Gnome.

Now, with Gnome 3.8.1, it actually comes up in full mode. It does not crash and burn. However, the performance is abysmal. Gnome shell is using a lot of CPU time. I managed to start an “xterm”. Dragging that xterm window to the bottom right of the screen was painful.

An open message to Gnome developers: Sorry, but that is not going to work. That box was reasonably snappy in fallback mode with earler Gnome 3 versions. It is completely useless with Gnome 3.8.

KDE is still fine. I turn off desktop effects. KDE startup is a tad slow (as it has been with earlier opensuse versions on that box), but once it is up and running, KDE is quite responsive.

gnome shell 3.2, 3.4 did run well on my older dual core 2.5 ghz , 2GB DDR RAM.

I tried to download the 13.1 ms1 32 bit DVD using the BitTorrent option. Ktorrent shows for the tracker

http://tracker.opensuse.org:6969/announce

with status

Error:unregistered torrent

Are torrents not available for development versions?

Thanks,
Howard

Thanks for the link. The idea of having predictable names with builtin distinction between LAN (“en”) and WLAN (“wl”) sounds reasonable, even though theses name look strange at the first glance and are not that easy to remember.

I booted my Dell Studio 1537 laptop to the 64-bit openSUSE-13.1 M1 KDE liveDVD. It booted ok to a rather basic KDE desktop with no icons, and a blue theme.

I note network manager for wireless did NOT appear to function upon boot but rather I had to adopt the openSUSE-12.3 trick of going to YaST, changing to the traditional network, and then after applying that change back to the Nominal Network Manager. I assume this is to enable/activate (?? for terminology) the Network Manager functionality. It has me wonder when in the milestone process this is planned to be fixed.

After that wireless networking worked on this laptop. Internet access through our home wireless LAN was possible. Specs are below.

The ‘pager’ in KDE (to show desktops) had only one by default, and the pager could not be seen on the bar at the bottom. In an effort to fix this, I mistakenly added a second KDE pager, and noted it could also not be seen. When I added a second virtual desktop, both pagers were suddenly visible (each showing two desktops). So I removed one pager and proceeded. Possibly a KDE bug ? ( < not sure > ).

The PC booted to the radeon driver (on the old radeon HD3450 graphics on this laptop) to the proper 1440x900 resolution. Special desktop effects (such as cube rotation) worked better in this 13.1 milestone than they did on openSUSE-12.3 GM version.

I installed (into ram in this liveDVD boot) ‘rpmbuild’ and then rebuilt ‘inxi’ and ran it below to get PC config booting to this liveDVD (in a text displayable mode) :

linux:/home/linux/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch # inxi -F
System:    Host: linux.site Kernel: 3.9.0-1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.2 Distro: openSUSE 13.1 Milestone 1 (x86_64) VERSION = 13.1 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Studio 1537 version: A09 serial: 19JZ14J 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0P132H version: A09 serial: .19JZ14J.CN4864389K1274. Bios: Dell version: A09 date: 05/27/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2267.00 MHz 2: 2267.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV620 [Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series] 
           X.org: 1.14.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 181x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV620 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3400 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.9.0-1-desktop
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
           IF: enp8s0 state: down speed: 4294967295 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: 00:21:70:85:8d:be
           Card-2: Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: 00:16:ea:ed:80:76
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (-) 1: /dev/sda ST9250421ASG 250.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 5.2G used: 3.1G (61%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: 43.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 0:33 Memory: 1321.6/3927.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

overall I would say the experience was smooth, except for the pager confusion and Network Manager not working by default.

I do note thou that my experience with openSUSE-13.1 on a different PC was not so smooth, and I’ll post about that later.

No, that’s by design.
The default pager is invisible if there is only one desktop.

openSUSE’s default is 2 desktops, so normally the pager should be visible.
But the openSUSE KDE branding is missing in 13.1M1, that’s why there’s only 1 desktop (upstream KDE’s default).

The missing KDE branding is listed here:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Most_annoying_bugs_13.1_dev

I raised a bug report Access Denied on a failed to LXDE GUI installation (no graphics) with a 32-bit openSUSE-13.1 LXDE desktop with legacy grub from the 13.1 32-bit liveDVD. This could be an LXDE login/X problem … but that is speculation. There was nothing obvious in the Xorg.0.log file. Its on an old 32-bit athlon-1100 (CPU) w/2GB RAM and nvidia FX5200 graphics (which works well under openSUSE-12.3 GM). I’m going to try installing again in a separate partition on same PC, but chose KDE desktop and see if that makes a difference. I attached MANY log files to the bug report.

I note Tumbleweed failed on same PC after a recent update (with what appear to be similar symptoms), so I am very suspicious of this being an LXDE problem with X or a kernel problem with this old hardware, and I am hoping a KDE installation attempt will take ‘LXDE’ out of the picture as a possible problem contribution.

In parallel, maybe the log files attached to my bug report will shed some light on this failed GUI installation.

I took that to be a feature. If there is only one desktop, you don’t need a pager.

So, I increased the number of desktops (workspaces), and the pager then appeared.

32-bit openSUSE-13.1 KDE installed on this PC from the same installation DVD (in a separate partition) albeit not without a hiccup that at first looked similar, but was not persistent. Hence this is looking to me like an LXDE login manager problem (albeit with a lot of skeptism on my side that my speculation is correct).

Has anone installed M1 on a uefi based system?

As noted the openSUSE-13.1 LXDE install failed on this PC, but KDE succeeded. I custom built inxi for 13.1 and here is the ‘inxi -F’ output for this PC :

oldcpu@stonehenge:~> inxi -F
System:    Host: stonehenge Kernel: 3.9.0-1-default i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.2 Distro: openSUSE 13.1 Milestone 1 (i586) VERSION = 13.1 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: MS-6380E version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 07.00T date: 04/02/01
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 1149.959 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] 
           X.Org: 1.14.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV34 GLX Version: 1.5 Mesa 9.1.2
Audio:     Card-1: Ensoniq 5880B [AudioPCI] driver: snd_ens1371 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.9.0-1-default
           Card-2: VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR5212/AR5213 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath5k 
           IF: wlp0s10 state: down mac: 00:11:95:91:76:f5
           Card-2: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too 
           IF: enp0s8 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:50:fc:5f:ba:6d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 484.0GB (0.9% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3320620A 320.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb Maxtor_6Y160P0 163.9GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 4.0G (17%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 50G used: 242M (1%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap ID: swap-2 size: 2.85GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 125 Uptime: 0:14 Memory: 424.1/2017.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24