Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Google Earth 7

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Malaysia +8 GMT
    Posts
    114

    Default Google Earth 7

    I am trying to run Google Earth 7, but it failed to run. Done with all mesa 32bit lib installed, but still no go. Currently I am on 12.3, the machine details as per my siggy below.

    Code:
    linux-wg3z:/home/yazid/Downloads # google-earth./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The same however run nicely on openSUSE 12.2. Am I missing something here?

    Thank you.
    openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, Gnome 3.10 Kernel 3.11, Nvidia 331.38
    Intel i5 2400 (Sandy), Asus P8H77-M LE, MSI GTX560Ti, 2x2GB RAM,
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Lenovo ThinkEdge 72, 2x2GB RAM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Mauritius
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    I'm running Google Earth 7 on openSUSE 12.3 64bit with no issues.
    How did you install it, through rpm or zypper ?

    Using zypper would have resolved dependencies.
    I downloaded the file as 'google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm' and installed as follows :

    Code:
    zypper in google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

  3. #3

    Default AW: Google Earth 7

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    Code:
    linux-wg3z:/home/yazid/Downloads # google-earth./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Try to install the package fontconfig-32bit

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Malaysia +8 GMT
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    Now am able to get it working, too many 32bit lib need to install such as mesa 32bit, fontconfig-32bit, libSM6-32bit, libXext6-32bit, libXrender1-32bit, libx11-6-32bit and some others which I can't remember.

    Thanks to all for replying
    openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, Gnome 3.10 Kernel 3.11, Nvidia 331.38
    Intel i5 2400 (Sandy), Asus P8H77-M LE, MSI GTX560Ti, 2x2GB RAM,
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Lenovo ThinkEdge 72, 2x2GB RAM

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Malaysia +8 GMT
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    The only problem left now is panoramio layer, I am getting white screen every time I click to any thumbnail images on it. Do your guys have the same problem as mine. Tried the old tutorial here https://en.opensuse.org/Google_Earth by mv the qt.conf into qt.conf.dist but I am still getting the white screen.

    Any helps appreciated, thanks again.
    openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, Gnome 3.10 Kernel 3.11, Nvidia 331.38
    Intel i5 2400 (Sandy), Asus P8H77-M LE, MSI GTX560Ti, 2x2GB RAM,
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Lenovo ThinkEdge 72, 2x2GB RAM

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,305

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    too many 32bit lib need to install such as mesa 32bit, fontconfig-32bit, libSM6-32bit, libXext6-32bit, libXrender1-32bit, libx11-6-32bit and some others which I can't remember.
    The only reason why i don't install Google Earth
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    Now am able to get it working, too many 32bit lib need to install such as mesa 32bit, fontconfig-32bit, libSM6-32bit, libXext6-32bit, libXrender1-32bit, libx11-6-32bit and some others which I can't remember.
    I have exactly the same error as the OP (error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1).

    I originally installed it using rpm and then uninstalled it and used zypper instead and still get the same problem starting.
    The output when finishing the install gives the same warning using either rpm or zypper:
    Code:
    Installing: google-earth-stable-7.0.3.8542-0 ..................................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    warning:  commands will be executed using  /bin/sh                                                                                                                                      
    job 2 at 2013-03-31  13:52
    The suggestion to install fontconfig-32bit wants to install 67 other 32bit pkgs to resolve dependencies. That includes such things as Samba, mozilla-nss, & systemd-32bit.

    What I would like to know is what impact installing all those other 32 bit pkgs on my v12.2 x64 KDE system will have, if any. I don't want to drag down a fairly stable system to occasionally use google earth.

    Thanks, Jon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    14,033
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    Quote Originally Posted by 6520302 View Post
    I have exactly the same error as the OP (error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1).

    I originally installed it using rpm and then uninstalled it and used zypper instead and still get the same problem starting.
    The output when finishing the install gives the same warning using either rpm or zypper:
    Code:
    Installing: google-earth-stable-7.0.3.8542-0 ..................................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    warning:  commands will be executed using  /bin/sh                                                                                                                                      
    job 2 at 2013-03-31  13:52
    The suggestion to install fontconfig-32bit wants to install 67 other 32bit pkgs to resolve dependencies. That includes such things as Samba, mozilla-nss, & systemd-32bit.

    What I would like to know is what impact installing all those other 32 bit pkgs on my v12.2 x64 KDE system will have, if any. I don't want to drag down a fairly stable system to occasionally use google earth.

    Thanks, Jon
    No problem at all. You even have the option to install the 32bit-runtime-pattern, which installs a load of 32bit libs on your system, to make it easier to run 32bit, or semi-64-bit applications. For some programs you have no other option.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

    Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  9. #9

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    Knurpth:

    Thanks for the pattern info. It cut down on all the dependency stuff that it wanted to install for other installed x64 pkgs. I still had to install libXrender and libSM. After that google-earth got further along while starting. Now I get a crash report rather than just an error for missing lib's.

    Rgds, Jon

  10. #10

    Default Re: Google Earth 7

    In reply to my prior query about google-earth I found the following info posted at Google Product Forums.
    Hopefully this will help someone else who has GE crash problems.

    Code:
    For opensuse 12.2 64-bit, I had to rename these files, added "backup" in front of the name
    
    /etc/fonts/conf.d/11-suse-hinting.conf
    /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-fonts-persian.conf
    This solution resolved my crash problem and allows GE to start.

    Can anyone tell me why I need the 2 files listed above? What are they for?

    Thanks, Jon

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •