Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacement in sight

Default standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacement in sight

In short, I cannot find a suitable calendar application for my needs, for the following reasons

a) I need a calendar I can synchronize easily with several services outside google (memotoo, doodle)
    b) lightning would theoretically work, but as can be seen easily in many fora, it slows down thunderbird to a degree that is unacceptable, even on a recent machine with lots of RAM
    c) up to the last update, I quite happily used sunbird: it did all the right things, did not slow down my machine and was generally perfect - however since the upgrade to 12.3 it no longer works ("(crashreporter:10449): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed" - I am unable to debug that)

Curiously, there seems to be absolutely no replacement. I have looked at evolution, but it wants to take over all of my life, and also does not seem to synchronize with memotoo. And kdepim seems equally huge and not promising at all.

Why could there not be a nice clean standalone thing such as sunbird was, and in fact still is?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacementin sight

On 03/29/2013 01:26 PM, wolfgangcr wrote:
    > Curiously, there seems to be absolutely no replacement...
    >Thanks for any suggestions!.

how about if 'they' just fixed for you what used to work??
    which 'they' can't do until it is in bugzilla...is it?

have you entered a bug on this problem, or added to one which already
    exists? http://tinyurl.com/nzhq7j

--
    dd

Default Re: standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacement in sight

yes I should have mentioned that.

The thunderbird/lightning problem has been known forever and absolutely nobody even seems to try and solve it (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=733039)

For sunbird, one can't file a bug report (I would think) because it has been officially unsupported for several years now ... pointing at lightning as "the" solution (which it sort of is, but just does not perform in an acceptable way).

But I would believe that sunbird could be fixed, I just don't know how. My hope is that somebody would see the interest to revitalise it as a standalone application, it should not be difficult for a real programmer.

Default Re: standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacementin sight

On 03/29/2013 02:26 PM, wolfgangcr wrote:
    > officially unsupported for several years now

ah! i see i should have remained silent.. (and you do need to move
    on...try all that are available and hope for the best..)

i solved my problem by making sure Google always knows what i have
    planned--its a good thing that they "Never do wrong"

in other words: i know there are other opinions needing service.

used to in the old dayz i had a little thing in my pocket i could
    keep my future plans on...it was on a thing they used to call 'paper'
    it was quaint thing, we called it 'calendar' and we could change it
    and keep it updated no matter where you were--and even with no
    connectivity to the net, or electricity/battery power...

crude, but it worked.

--
    dd

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: standalone calendar application - sunbird dead and no replacement in sight

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangcr View Post
    In short, I cannot find a suitable calendar application for my needs, for the following reasons

a) I need a calendar I can synchronize easily with several services outside google (memotoo, doodle)
    b) lightning would theoretically work, but as can be seen easily in many fora, it slows down thunderbird to a degree that is unacceptable, even on a recent machine with lots of RAM
    c) up to the last update, I quite happily used sunbird: it did all the right things, did not slow down my machine and was generally perfect - however since the upgrade to 12.3 it no longer works ("(crashreporter:10449): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed" - I am unable to debug that)

Curiously, there seems to be absolutely no replacement. I have looked at evolution, but it wants to take over all of my life, and also does not seem to synchronize with memotoo. And kdepim seems equally huge and not promising at all.

Why could there not be a nice clean standalone thing such as sunbird was, and in fact still is?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Try ReminderFox . It is cool https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...n/reminderfox/
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

thanks, but that does not seem like an application comparable to sunbird or lightning. With these, you have a local full calendar, which is synchronised against a good independent provider (memotoo) as well as against doodle which has become a necessity for me.

Would anyone have an idea how to get around the sunbird crash error message:
    (crashreporter:4357): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    Cheers

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangcr View Post
    thanks, but that does not seem like an application comparable to sunbird or lightning. With these, you have a local full calendar, which is synchronised against a good independent provider (memotoo) as well as against doodle which has become a necessity for me.

Would anyone have an idea how to get around the sunbird crash error message:

Cheers
    It(ReminderFox) supports webdav synchronisation and memotoo also supports webdav. My Files - Access your files through a Web Folder (WebDAV)
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

thanks, but it is not a calendar really.

I am still surprised that this question releases so little interest in the community. I honestly think that having a basic functional calendar on a computer, and syncing that to something else than just google or apple, would be a function many people want.

Am I asking the question in the wrong way? Should we just all go and sell our lives to the marketing strategies of the 2-3 big players in the market who try to map every move we take in order to make sure we get the advertisements they want (and no other information)?

On 03/31/2013 06:56 PM, wolfgangcr wrote:
    > Should we just all go and
    > sell our lives to the marketing strategies of the 2-3 big players in the
    > market who try to map every move we take in order to make sure we get
    > the advertisements they want (and no other information)?

i get a lot of other information...like, where is the nearest coffee
    shop...book shop...a map to get me there and probably a collection of
    reviews of the coffee, ambience etc etc etc..

ymmv, so do not be surprised if there is "so little interest in
    the community" just because there might be so many with different
    interest than your own.

personally i can't imagine spending five minutes trying to figure out
    how to get all that information (or a calendar available world wide)
    without using "the 2-3 big players"....which by the way i am REAL
    happy with the money i have made off of Google, Microsoft and Apple
    stock in the past few years..

--
    dd

it would be interesting to discuss this, but off-topic (sorry for raising the issue).

So nobody has any suggestion for getting a working calendar on my system, given the wish list stated above?

Ideally by revitalizing the sunbird project, or at least by fixing the single bug that seems to be prohibiting its use for me. Or else by fixing the widely recognized thunderbird/lightning problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast