Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compat-wireless package for 12.2 "unstable"

Default compat-wireless package for 12.2 "unstable"

I want install "compat-wireless" in order to try to resolve a problem with my Atheros card using the ath5k driver.

I looked for the SuSE package for installing the compat-wireless stuff and it seems to me that all I can get is what SuSE describes as "unstable".

Is this right?

I prefer to use SuSE packages where I can but I am concerned about the "unstable" bit. Also, it lists several things rather than one "compat-wireless" package. Do I install all of them?

Would I be better advised to go to linux wireless dot org?

Cheers - AK

Default Re: compat-wireless package for 12.2 "unstable"

Quote Originally Posted by antttikutoja View Post
    I want install "compat-wireless" in order to try to resolve a problem with my Atheros card using the ath5k driver.

I looked for the SuSE package for installing the compat-wireless stuff and it seems to me that all I can get is what SuSE describes as "unstable".

Is this right?

I prefer to use SuSE packages where I can but I am concerned about the "unstable" bit. Also, it lists several things rather than one "compat-wireless" package. Do I install all of them?

Would I be better advised to go to linux wireless dot org?

Cheers - AK
    I am missing something here. From the mentioning of the version 12.2, I gues that you use openSUSE (and that is where these forums are for.) But you then start talking about "SuSE", with which you may mean SUSE (SLES/SLED). Are you mixing up things, or is this a typo?
    Henk van Velden

Henk,

My apologies. I do mean open SuSE 12.2

Three things:

1) it is openSUSE and not what you make out of it. It is spelled like this all over the place, so I do not understand why you stick to type it in another way.

2) I am not a compat-wireless user, so you must take my advice with a pitch of salt. I only can find these unstable source for 12.2. Thus I am unsure what you should do without further advice from others (and that is of course what you try to get with this thread).

3) I wonder if this isn't a case of "decribe the problem, not the step". In other words IMHO it would be better when you open another thread with a title like "How to use my Atheros card using the ath5k driver". This then would hopefully attrackt people that have expertise in using that particular piece of hardware. Maybe you do not even have to use compat-wireless.

And please when you go for the last option, do read the stickies at the begin of this Wireless forums to see which information you can post with that new thread to help others to help you.
    Henk van Velden

Henk.

I am looking for compat wireless because my other thread at https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...5k-12-2-a.html has finally run out of steam despite heroic efforts from larry (lwfinger).

Blog Entries

Take a look here: stable - Linux Wireless
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thanks knurpht.

Whilst reading the linux wireless site, I saw that they had renamed the project to "compat-drivers".

When I searched openSuSE for that, I got here: software.opensuse.org: Search

Please, which should I go for?

Cheers - AK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by antttikutoja View Post
    Thanks knurpht.

Whilst reading the linux wireless site, I saw that they had renamed the project to "compat-drivers".

When I searched openSuSE for that, I got here: software.opensuse.org: Search

Please, which should I go for?

Cheers - AK
    I honestly wouldn't know. Needed it for the wired (!) Atheros on my wife's laptop. Which also has a broadcom wifi, so no networking at all, initially.
    I had to compile and install the driver for the wired card, whch went flawlessly, card works fine now.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

OK.

I will try the openSuSE route first then.

Cheers - AK

Whoops! That link leads right back to "unstable". Off to linux wireless after installing all the kernel headers etc in case I have compiling etc to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast