Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The score so far with T-23, X-31 and lenovo G570 with 12.3 RC1

Default The score so far with T-23, X-31 and lenovo G570 with 12.3 RC1

12.3 RC1 Live disk, 32 bit version

Well, the T-23 Think Pad with P III 1.2 GHZ W/1 GB ram, is a definite NO GO... The video driver is corrupted or non existent for the Savage 9 SIS chipset so you cannot set up an install or run a live disk. Text install fails also.

X-31 Think Pad w/1.4 ghz Pentium M, 2 gb ram and ati video chipset, installed and looked ok and then the menu bar vanished. After that other things acted strange and I had to wipe the drive to start over. Not looking good so far, maybe the final release will work.

lenovo g570 with i3 cpu, 8 gb ram and intel video chipset looks fine and sets up a running live disk and surfs with network manager with little effort.

So, for me, the SCORE is 1 out of 3 work well with 12.3 RC1, so far.

Anyone else have a t-23 or x-31 and having trouble?

cheers

Default Re: The score so far with T-23, X-31 and lenovo G570 with 12.3 RC1

It is nice you want to share the results of your 12.3 testing, But this is the wrong place to do so. As long as 12.3 is not released, you should discuss it in the Pre-Release/Beta forum.

I will move this there and it is closed for the momet.
    Last edited by hcvv; 16-Feb-2013 at 12:59.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It is nice you want to share the results of your 12.3 testing, But this is the wrong place to do so. As long as 12.3 is not released, you should discuss it in the Pre-Release/Beta forum.

I will mope this there and it is closed for the momet.
    Moved from Laptop and open again.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zxr250cc View Post
    Well, the T-23 Think Pad with P III 1.2 GHZ W/1 GB ram, is a definite NO GO... The video driver is corrupted or non existent for the Savage 9 SIS chipset so you cannot set up an install or run a live disk. Text install fails also.
    I note other distros have had problems with the T-23. For example: Kernel hangs on IBM Thinkpad T23 .... I can not recall the liveCD options, but see if you can try with acpi disabled (and maybe noapic as well). I also can't recall - is there a VESA selection in the liveCD ? Does booting with the 'nomodest' boot code help ? There may be a 'nokms' kernel option.

X-31 Think Pad w/1.4 ghz Pentium M, 2 gb ram and ati video chipset, installed and looked ok and then the menu bar vanished. After that other things acted strange and I had to wipe the drive to start over. Not looking good so far, maybe the final release will work.
    I note other distros have had problems with the X-31. For example the arch wiki gives some hints: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM_ThinkPad_X31 (and note they use a pretty old kernel with arch linux). If you can, try these boot codes:
    Code:
    nomodeset acpi_sleep=nonvs
    There may be a nokms kernel option in the liveCD boot menu ?

If that works, but the driver you get with nomodeset is undesireable, you could boot with 'nomodeset' and then specify your desired driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-devices.conf file (but that edit suggestion is only for an installed 12.3RC1 and not for a liveCD boot).

A major qualification to the above - I do not own this hardware.

The T-23 and the X-31 both work great with 12.2. I am wondering what was left out of the new release, especially for the T-23 with the SAVAGE Super 9 video chip set. I have had similar trouble with Mageia 3 beta for the T-23 so I am wondering if the video chips have been left behind. I tried VESA and text only installs. The install stalled after it got to the point that it was trying to start the x-11 driver and then just sat there with the small cursor dot blinking. I tried multiple times and it fails in the same place.

The X-31 installed fine but the anomalies that started after a bit of time with the menu bar going away after about 15 seconds made me erase the install. I have had no trouble with either laptop in the past with either Mandriva, Mageia, SUSE or Kubuntu installs. I tried Fedora 18 this time as well but the less said about that the better. (Very negative experience...)

I know many people still use a T-23 or X-31 because they sold a lot of them and they are tough so a lot of them will still be out there, I believe. I am hoping it will sort out after a bit of time.

cheers

Blog Entries

I tried VESA and text only installs. The install stalled after it got to the point that it was trying to start the x-11 driver and then just sat there with the small cursor dot blinking. I tried multiple times and it fails in the same place.
    Did you try nokms at the same time as trying the text/vesa modes ?

I am trying to visualize that location where you noted you had the problem. Is that after the 1st installation reboot (and after grub or grub2 has been installed ) ?

If so, did you try at that point (by rebooting) to type 'nomodeset' (if you selected the legacy grub boot manager) or press "E" (if using the grub2 boot manager) and then edit the appropriate boot line in grub2 by adding 'nomodeset' (no quotes) to see if that works ?

The X-31 installed fine but the anomalies that started after a bit of time with the menu bar going away after about 15 seconds made me erase the install.
    Does this happen using either the vesa or the fbdev graphic driver , or only with the radeon graphic driver ? Did you try nomodeset at the same time as trying those drivers ?

The X-31 install was whatever video driver the software would have chosen by default. I did not choose any special settings with that install. When the menu bar went away I was having trouble getting anything to open up as I wished and frustration with the problem lead to wiping the drive.

As for the T-23 it is not installed at the point of issue, it is trying to boot the LIVE DISK and fails. I always shut off the Plymouth boot screen by pressing ESC and watching the lines of code or commands go by. It is about halfway to getting a working desktop when it stops. I will boot it now as I am typing this with another laptop and tell you what the line says at the point of failure.

The final line before it stalls says REACHED TARGET GRAPHICAL INTERFACE and then it just sits there....

cheers

Blog Entries

The X-31 install was whatever video driver the software would have chosen by default. I did not choose any special settings with that install. When the menu bar went away I was having trouble getting anything to open up as I wished and frustration with the problem lead to wiping the drive.
    ... please pardon me if I tell you something you already know, but given what I have read above it is not clear to me the rationale behind my recommendation is clear to you.

My understanding is the loading of the 'default' graphic drivers (to use your wording 'default' ) is initially controlled by the kernel using 'kernel mode setting' , also known as KMS. if one when booting the liveCD, or the DVD, goes to one of the menu items (I think it to be 'kernel' but I may have that wrong) and chose 'nokms' one is telling the kernel NOT to automatically try and chose the graphic driver. Typically that results in either the 'vesa' or 'fbdev' driver being run, instead of the 'radeon' driver (where I think your X-31 has AMD/ATI graphic hardware).

Now if this was a partial install (without grub but with the X config files in place) and this openSUSE GNU/Linux install on this PC no longer boots because the boot manager install did not complete, but if a liveCD boots, then you can always boot to the liveCD, and edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file and remove selected comments and add entries to have it load the vesa driver. Then if you reboot the PC without the liveCD and if you chose the 'nokms' option you should be able to test booting specifically to that driver (specified in the 50-device.conf file). If your boot manager did install, then the idea is to add the 'nomodeset' kernel cheat code to the grub menu, or to the grub2 menu, which means different action dependant on what boot manager is in place. I gave guidance above as to how this can be done with the grub2 boot manager.

The idea is to test booting and force openSUSE GNU/Linux to boot to a specific fall back graphic mode.

As for the T-23 it is not installed at the point of issue, it is trying to boot the LIVE DISK and fails. I always shut off the Plymouth boot screen by pressing ESC and watching the lines of code or commands go by. It is about halfway to getting a working desktop when it stops. I will boot it now as I am typing this with another laptop and tell you what the line says at the point of failure.
    ok, what I am saying is BEFORE the Plymouth boot screen (with the scrolling text behind it) shows up, but as soon as the boot selection menu shows up (which is earlier) in the 'kernel' option (I believe) choose 'nokms'. Also with 'nokms' selected you can also chose the 'text' install or a 'lower' resolution and see if you can then force a different graphic driver and force different graphical settings, and not have it chosen by Kernel Mode Setting (KMS).

The above is no magic solution of course. I have tested 5 very different PCs with 12.3 RC1, and while 4 worked nicely, one with nvida FX5200 graphic hardware (NV34) did not work well. On the PC that did NOT work well, after comparing the symptoms with earlier openSUSE versions (that did work) and with Tumbleweed (which could be made to work or fail) and with other GNU/Linux distributions with the last 3.6.11 kernel and the latest 3.7.x kernels, I managed to deduce to my satisfaction that the nouveau graphic driver in the lastest kernel broke the nouveau driver for that specific NV34 hardware. I was able to boot a liveCD (and a desktop install) on the PC with the broken driver by using the techniques I noted above. I also then wrote a bug report on openSUSE-12.3 and also upstream on the 3.7.x kernel's nouveau driver on the NV34 problem.

The final line before it stalls says REACHED TARGET GRAPHICAL INTERFACE and then it just sits there....
    Thanks, that was not clear to me. I had the impression that you reached the language selection, and desktop selection, and geography selection ... etc menu, and that the install had started, and that it was later during the install process that the problem occured.

Hi,

T-23
    I tried no kms option with safe settings and it loaded most of the install kernel and then did a kernel panic and locked up the laptop. I think I am not going to get around this. I then tried text with safe settings and had a similar result.

Thanks anyway.

cheers
    zxr250cc

Blog Entries

T-23
    I tried no kms option with safe settings and it loaded most of the install kernel and then did a kernel panic and locked up the laptop. I think I am not going to get around this. I then tried text with safe settings and had a similar result.
    It does read like the 'savage' graphic hardware on that T-23 may no longer be supported. Have you written a bug report on your experiences ?

Still, another credible possibility worth checking -> what is the CD/DVD writer (where the boot CD was burned) age difference compared to the CD/DVD reader on your T-23 ? If one is looking at more than 3 to 4 years difference in age (and that is a very rough inaccurate rule of thumb), then there could be a simple calibration difference between drives that is causing the T-23 to misread the CD resulting in a kernel-panic. In which case to confirm that is not the cause, try booting to an external CD/DVD drive on same T-23.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast