Problem with enable 3D support in Vmware

Hi,
Apter installed Vmware player, I enabled 3d accelerator feature. But When I startup a virtual machine, I received error message from vmware “No support 3d…”.
I think i must enable “S3TC”? How to enable “S3TC” ? ( I installed Driconf but when startup it have error “XDriInfo not found”)
This is my hardware information (VGA)

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Dell Device 0402
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
        Memory at f6c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256]
        I/O ports at efe8 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3
        Kernel driver in use: i915

Please help me,
Sorry for my English[/size][/size][/size]

On 2013-01-30 10:26, vietjovi wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Apter installed Vmware player, I enabled 3d accelerator feature. But

There is a subforum dedicated to virtualization. Please ask a moderator
to move your thread there.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I’ll move this now to virtualisation

It looks like you’re using Intel graphics from what you posted (“Kernel driver in use i915”). I had this same problem when I switched from nVidia to HD4000 on the i7. I can let you know how I fixed it after I get home this evening.

Here’s what I did to fix it:

1. Add Xorg to your repository list (Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_12.2), switch to this repository and then update all the packages.
  2. Make sure that package “Mesa-libtxc_dxtn1” is installed.
  3. Open your vm configuration files (the ones ending with .vmx) in a text editor and then add or edit the following two lines:
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"

You’ll probably get a warning about the graphics when you start up your virtual machine (I can’t remember exactly what it says) but you can ignore it.

If you’re in Windows Vista or Windows 7, run the Windows Experience Index. If it completes without crashing, then you’re good.

Thanks you very much. I 'll try it.

Where do you get “Mesa-libtxc_dxtn1” from? It isn’t in the X11 repo (for 12.3), and I can’t find it by googling either. Also, can anyone confirm that the above still works for 12.3?

It looks like it is now named “libtxc_dxtn”.

I had not used vmplayer for a while, but I now find that with 3d acceleration enabled as I described above, when I run Internet Explorer I get nothing but a black screen. As I don’t play any games in the virtual machine, I don’t know what else might have been affected. I know that this is new behavior but I don’t know when it might have appeared. Disabling 3d acceleration fixes that problem, but, of course, you lose aero, 3d games, etc.

Oh well…

After further playing around, I found that Firefox renders web pages without any problem with all the 3d tweaks enabled. Maybe there is some setting within Internet Explorer that will allow it to work too. But if losing Internet Explorer functionality is the only problem that comes with enabling 3d, it is no great loss.

By the way, the package “libtxc_dxtn” is in the Packman repository. And the package “libtxc_dxtn0” does not work for this purpose.

I just stumbled upon another fix that doesn’t require the “libtxc_dxtn” package: add “force_s3tc_enable” to the environment for your vmplayer launcher.

So if you launch vmplayer from a terminal, you can do:

export force_s3tc_enable=true
vmplayer

Alternatively, you can edit the launcher in your menu. Go to “Edit applications…”, find the launcher for vmplayer, and in the command line add "export force_s3tc_enable=true && " before the command to launch vmplayer, so the finished line should read “export force_s3tc_enable=true && /usr/bin/vmplayer %f” or something similar.

I’ll be interested to know if this works for 3d games.