Thread: Problem With Remote Printing Thru CUPS-1.5.3-2.4.1 And Brother MFC-J835DW

Default Problem With Remote Printing Thru CUPS-1.5.3-2.4.1 And Brother MFC-J835DW

I am having a network printing problem with cups-1.5.3-2.4.1 in OpenSUSE 12.2 on an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz Desktop Computer with 2GB Memory and 35GB Hard Disk.

I have a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 3 connected locally to this computer to the parallel port /dev/lp0 and a Brother MFC-J835DW All-in-One printer WIFI networked through a LinkSys Broadband Router, Model WRT54GX2.

I am able to print to the Hewlett Packard LaserJet 3 fine without any problems. However, I cannot print to the Brother MFC-J835DW printer through the network. I have configured the cups with the Brother Solution Linux Printer Driver files and followed their setup instructions as followed from their web site:

Pre-required Procedure (1)

Related distributions
    openSUSE 10.3 or earlier
    Related products/drivers
    cupswrapper printer/PC-FAX drivers
    Requirement

"lppasswd -g sys -a root" command is required before the installation.

(Setting the root password is required befor you can issue this command.)

Pre-required Procedure (2)

Related distributions
    Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Redhat
    Related products/drivers
    Printer drivers for DCP-1000, DCP-1400, DCP-8020, DCP-8025D, DCP-8040, DCP-8045D, DCP-8060, DCP-8065DN, FAX-2850, FAX-2900, FAX-3800, FAX-4100, FAX-4750e, FAX-5750e, HL-1030, HL-1230, HL-1240, HL-1250, HL-1270N, HL-1430, HL-1440, HL-1450, HL-1470N, HL-1650, HL-1670N, HL-1850, HL-1870N, HL-5030, HL-5040, HL-5050, HL-5070N, HL-5130, HL-5140, HL-5150D, HL-5170DN, HL-5240, HL-5250DN, HL-5270DN, HL-5280DW, HL-6050, HL-6050D, MFC-4800, MFC-6800, MFC-8420, MFC-8440, MFC-8460N, MFC-8500, MFC-8660DN, MFC-8820D, MFC-8840D, MFC-8860DN, MFC-8870DW, MFC-9030, MFC-9070, MFC-9160, MFC-9180, MFC-9420CN, MFC-9660, MFC-9700, MFC-9760, MFC-9800, MFC-9860, MFC-9880
    Requirement
    Creating a symbolic link is required before the installation (superuser authorization is required to run the command)

For Redhat based distributions and Debian base distributions greater than Ubuntu8.10, Debian5:

"ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd"

Pre-required Procedure (3)

Related distributions
    Distributions using firewall
    Related products/drivers
    scan-key-tool
    Requirement
    UDP Port 54925 is required to be open.
    Example of the setting location;
    OpenSUSE10.0: Yast-> Security and Users-> Firewall-> Allowed Service->Advanced

Step 4. Install LPR driver and cupswrapper driver

4-1. Turn on the printer and connect the USB cable.
    4-2. Open the terminal and go to the directory where the drivers are.
    4-3. Install LPR driver.The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

Command (for rpm) : rpm -ihv --nodeps (lpr-drivername)

Install LPR driver (rpm)

# rpm -ihv --nodeps mfcj835dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
    Preparing packages for installation...
    mfcj835dwlpr-3.0.0-1
    Shutting down cupsd done
    Starting cupsd done
    #

4-4. Install cupswrapper driver.The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

Command (for rpm) : rpm -ihv --nodeps (cupswrapper-drivername)

Install cupswrapper driver (rpm)

# rpm -ihv --nodeps mfcj835dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
    Preparing packages for installation...
    mfcj835dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1
    Shutting down cupsd done
    Shutting down cupsd done
    Starting cupsd done
    #

4-5. Check if the LPR driver and cupswrapper driver are installed

Command (for rpm) : rpm -qa | grep -e (lpr-drivername) -e (cupswrapper-drivername)

Check LPR driver and cupswrapper driver (rpm)

# rpm -qa | grep -e mfcj835dwlpr -e mfcj835dwcupswrapper
    mfcj835dwlpr-3.0.0-1
    mfcj835dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1
    #

Step 5a. (for USB Connection) Check your printer on the cups web interface

5a-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".

Check if the Device URI of your printer is "usb://Brother/(your printer's model name)"

If the device URI is different from the example above, please go to "Modify Printer" of your printer to select proper device and driver.

If your printer is not listed on "http://localhost:631/printers", please go to "http://localhost:631/admin" and click "Add printer" and select proper device and driver.

Step 5b. (for Network Connection) Configure your printer on the cups web interface

5b-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".
    5b-2. Click "Modify Printer" and set following parameters.

- "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" or "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" for Device
    - lpd://(Your printer's IP address)/binary_p1 for Device URI
    - Brother for Make/Manufacturer Selection
    - Your printer's name for Model/Driver Selection

Which my configuration looks as follows:

MFCJ835DW (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared)
    Description: Brother MFC-J835DW CUPS
    Driver: Brother MFC-J835DW CUPS (color, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: lpd://182.168.12.105/binary_p1
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

When I try a test print from cups, the following happens:

Showing 1 of 1 active job.

▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
    MFCJ835DW-7 Unknown Withheld 1k Unknown stopped
    "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops failed"

The /var/log/cups/error_log file shows the following errors:

E [16/Jan/2013:21:49:05 -0500] [cups-polld 192.168.12.105:631] CUPS-Get-Printers failed: server-error-operation-not-supported
    E [16/Jan/2013:21:49:05 -0500] [cups-polld 192.168.12.105:631] CUPS-Get-Printers failed: server-error-operation-not-supported

I know the IP Address is correct for the Brother MFCJ835DW printer because I am able to access the scanner part of it through the brscan4 driver using the same IP Address. Also, I have success printing to the Brother MFCJ835DW from Mandriva Linux 2008.1 using the same setup on this same computer fine. I have already tried disabling the firewall, which didn't make any difference. I also tried changing the url connection to socket://192.168.12.105:9100 or socket://192.168.12.105 with no difference in results. Nothing else is on my network with address. I am wondering if there could be a bug in cups-1.5.3-2.4.1 release when network printing?

Thank you,

David A. Smith

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Problem With Remote Printing Thru CUPS-1.5.3-2.4.1 And Brother MFC-J835DW

Is the Brother Solution Linux Printer Driver files built into cups or did you obtain them from the Brother Web Site? Have you consulted anyone with Brother for help? Do you have an option to directly connect this printer to your PC? As for Cups, I have had times when there are two or more driver files for the same printer. One might not work while another does work. In any situation where you download a binary driver from the manufacturer, you need to consult them with any problems you might have. Personally, I have just decided to stick with HP as (almost) everything they make is supported in Linux and Windows and they maintain an even newer driver you can install outside of what comes with openSUSE and it does work with Cups. I do like the idea of placing a printer on the network anytime you plan on sharing it with a second or more PC.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Problem With Remote Printing Thru CUPS-1.5.3-2.4.1 And Brother MFC-J835DW

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Is the Brother Solution Linux Printer Driver files built into cups or did you obtain them from the Brother Web Site? Have you consulted anyone with Brother for help? Do you have an option to directly connect this printer to your PC? As for Cups, I have had times when there are two or more driver files for the same printer. One might not work while another does work. In any situation where you download a binary driver from the manufacturer, you need to consult them with any problems you might have. Personally, I have just decided to stick with HP as (almost) everything they make is supported in Linux and Windows and they maintain an even newer driver you can install outside of what comes with openSUSE and it does work with Cups. I do like the idea of placing a printer on the network anytime you plan on sharing it with a second or more PC.

Thank You,
    I downloaded the latest version of the Brother Solution Linux Printer Driver from their web site for RedHat/OpenSUSE Linux. I have email the Brother Technical site twice in the past week without a reply. I don't have a long enough USB cable to direct connect the MFC-J835DW printer to my desktop computer. I only have one PPD driver file for the MFC-J835DW printer, which came from the Brother Solutions Center web site.

Thank you for your help,

David A. Smith

Default Re: Problem With Remote Printing Thru CUPS-1.5.3-2.4.1 And Brother MFC-J835DW

First,
    I've generally found that a printer directly attached to the network using a NIC is typically easiest to configure and often "just works." I'd like to just verify that you're plugging the network patch cable directly into the Printer (or a WiFi NIC is in the Printer)?

If that is the case, then the USB connection you describe should only be necessary during initial printer installation and setup, and after the Printer is properly setup with its own IP address on your network, you're supposed to <disconnect> the USB cable.

Only then, when the only access is to your printer through the Network (no USB or parallel or serial cables), you should then be able to check connectivity using CUPS. I also assume that since you also have an HP printer on your network you should also have hplips installed which enhances CUPS features.

Pls verify all of the above, and when you connect over the network that CUPS can connect to your Brother Printer, read its status, perhaps configure and even maybe print a Test Page.

TSU

When I try a test print from cups, the following happens:

Showing 1 of 1 active job.

▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
    MFCJ835DW-7 Unknown Withheld 1k Unknown stopped
    "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops failed"

The /var/log/cups/error_log file shows the following errors:

The first error re pstops may be due to recent CUPS regression. Have you performed a system update yet?

Code:
    zypper up -t patch
    I note that you have cups-polld installed. From man cups-polld
    Code:
    cups-polld polls remote servers for a list of available printers and printer classes every interval seconds. Printer and class information is then broadcast  to the localhost interface (127.0.0.1) on the specified browse port for  reception by cupsd(8).
    I think that this error is not relevant to your printing issue. For your further reference

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

If there are servers that do not send any browsing information but whose queues can be accessed (e.g., servers in other departments or buildings), you may want to poll the server's browsing information. To do this, insert an entry in the form "BrowsePoll IP.of.the.server:631" for every server in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. We recommend the use of IP addresses instead of names. By default, the port on the server is 631. After cupsd is restarted, a cups-polld will be started for every "BrowsePoll" entry.
    FWIW, I don't use cups-polld with my network-attached printers, (including my Brother laser printer).

I would also like to see your printer definition in /etc/cups/printers.conf. Use [code]data.... [/cod... tags to enclose your output. It makes things tidier for reading.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 19-Jan-2013 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The first error re pstops may be due to recent CUPS regression. Have you performed a system update yet?

Code:
    zypper up -t patch
    I note that you have cups-polld installed. From man cups-polld
    Code:
    cups-polld polls remote servers for a list of available printers and printer classes every interval seconds. Printer and class information is then broadcast  to the localhost interface (127.0.0.1) on the specified browse port for  reception by cupsd(8).
    I think that this error is not relevant to your printing issue. For your further reference

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

FWIW, I don't use cups-polld with my network-attached printers, (including my Brother laser printer).

I would also like to see your printer definition in /etc/cups/printers.conf. Use [code]data.... [/cod... tags to enclose your output. It makes things tidier for reading.
    Actually I got the Brother MFC-J835DW printer working by uninstalling the cups, drivers and all, then reinstalling everything back again and the cups connected through the LinkSys Broadband WRT54GX2 router wirelessly to the to MFC-J835DW printer without a snag. However, one change I did make is this to the url sring:

lpd://192.168.12.105/binary_p1?banner=off&contimeout=30&timeout=5

I turned off the banner, set the wait for connection to the printer to 30 seconds before continuing and a timeout to the number of seconds to wait for LPD commands to complete. The following describes this more:

"LPD is the original network printing protocol and is supported by many network printers. Due to limitations in the LPD protocol, we do not recommend using it if the printer or server supports one of the other protocols. LPD printing normally happens over port 515 and uses the lpd URI scheme:

lpd://ip-address-or-hostname/queue lpd://username@ip-address-or-hostname/queue lpd://ip-address-or-hostname/queue?option=value lpd://username@ip-address-or-hostname/queue?option=value lpd://ip-address-or-hostname/queue?option=value&option=value lpd://username@ip-address-or-hostname/queue?option=value&option=value Table 3 summarizes the options supported by the lpd backend.

Option Description
    banner=on Specifies that a banner page should be printed by the server.
    contimeout=seconds Specifies the number of seconds to wait for the connection to the server to complete.
    format=c Specifies that the print data is a CIF file.
    format=d Specifies that the print data is a DVI file.
    format=f Specifies that the print data is a plain text file.
    format=g Specifies that the print data is a Berkeley plot file.
    format=l Specifies that the print data is a raw (preformatted) print file.
    format=n Specifies that the print data is a ditroff file.
    format=o Specifies that the print data is a PostScript file.
    format=p Specifies that the print data is a plain text file that should be "pretty" printed with a header and footer.
    format=r Specifies that the print data is a FORTRAN carriage control file.
    format=t Specifies that the print data is a troff Graphic Systems C/A/T phototypesetter file.
    format=v Specifies that the print data is a Sun raster file.
    order=data,control Specifies that the print data files should be sent before the control file.
    reserve=none Specifies that the backend should not reserve a source port.
    reserve=rfc1179 Specifies that the backend should reserve a source port from 721 to 731 as required by RFC 1179.
    sanitize_title=no Specifies that the job title string should not be restricted to ASCII characters.
    sanitize_title=yes Specifies that the job title string should be restricted to ASCII characters.
    timeout=seconds Specifies the number of seconds to wait for LPD commands to complete.
    "

So far I can send prints to the Brother MFC-J835DW fine. Also, the following errors in the /var/log/cups/error_log file stopped occurring:

I have enable the firewall and the remote printing is still working fine so far.

I am not using any usb cable connection between my desktop computer and the MFC-J835DW printer. It's strictly through wifi through the WRT54GX2 router.

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions.

David A. Smith

Glad you got it sorted. Yes, I'm familiar with the LPD and AppSocket network printing protocols, and they're well documented in the CUPS documentation. I'm using the latter (socket:// URI), because the network printers I use all support it.

Actually I got the Brother MFC-J835DW printer working by uninstalling the cups, drivers and all, then reinstalling everything back again and the cups connected through the LinkSys Broadband WRT54GX2 router wirelessly to the to MFC-J835DW printer without a snag. However, one change I did make is this to the url sring:

lpd://192.168.12.105/binary_p1?banner=off&contimeout=30&timeout=5
    It's not clear from your synopsis whether re-installing the drivers was all that was required, or whether the options parsed in your working URI played any part in your success. You might like to experiment with them, to prove more conclusively...